How do you give advice?

booya

:salam2:
There are times when I see brothers and sisters do something which I don't consider correct, but I feel hesitant to correct them. I'm afraid that I will be taken as a know-it-all and acting as a scholar, especially when I don't know that person so well.

A few cases:
I was praying with 2 brothers, and the brother who led the prayer did not recite loudly in Maghrib. I asked another brother and he just said "He is just new." Well shouldn't the one with the most knowledge be the one who leads?

Issues with hijab. A lot of times we see sisters who are not covered properly. As a man I think this is a sensitive issue since I think these kinds of advice are better given by fellow sisters. In the mosque I go to now the imam made another advice before jamaah prayers: 1. to straigthen and fill the rows, and recently 2. for sisters to wear their hijabs and cover properly.

Brothers who lead prayers too quickly. I once prayed with a brother who led too fast; I barely finished my Fatiha when he went to rukoo. I know that prayer is still valid, but the better way is to do it calmly. But then I know this brother is much more knowledgeable.

How do you properly give advice? Do people respond well to advice in these situations?

raihana

Assalam Alaikum
Well I think its best to give advice privately.That will help you and bro to establish a good bond too.Let him know that you are a sincere muslim bro and u just want to tell him the right way as a muslim brother.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
the same happened with me, a new boy didn't recite loudly in maghrib and we reminded him by reciting loudly by ourselves then he got the idea and recited loudly....
yeah u can ask him to lead the prayer calmly, he will do it, and it happens and the person always responds positive.

but my suggestion is that one should not do experiment by allowing different persons to lead the prayer.. if we r unsure whether he will be able to lead the prayer or not.

AnnaKanadeeyah

Asalaamu Alaikum, akhi -

May I suggest a book entitled, "The Prophet’s Methods for Correcting People’s Mistakes."

Below is a link to the .pdf file of the book. Something to remember is that our Prophet, salalahi wa salaam, often used questions to correct people, rather than admonish directly. This is a good way of putting yourself in the other person's shoes and also, with time, you might be able to make quick dawah to anyone easily and amiably, insha'Allah. May Allah give us all courage to correct when we see mistakes and remain graceful when corrected. Ameen.

http://d1.islamhouse.com/data/en/ih_books/signal/en_Correcting_People_Mistakes.pdf