How does Islam regard DEPRESSION?

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salamo Alikom wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakato,
I would like to know your fed back on the difference between weak faith & depression.:SMILY309:
Let me explain this a bit. Depression as a disease is similar in many ways to a person who has weak Eman/Faith; despiration, hopelessness, helplessnes, suicidale inclinations....... and so on.

1) How does Islam regard people who have depression?
As you know sometimes this has to do with the chemistry of the brain and I don't mean here depression as a passing phase due to a particular reason.

2)What are the things recommanded in Qura'n & Sunna to do, to eat... to over come such a disease?

Please, I hope you can share your ideas & support them with evidence.
:jazaak:
:dishes:
:salam2:

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

There are times in life that change the mental well being of humans. In my opinion there are three things which affect this. Our mental state will rise and fall due to time, surrounding and circumstance. The time factor includes our age, whether we are mature enough or not, the surrounding deals with where we live, among believers or non believers, our company, our friends and most importantly the peer pressure involved, and finally the circumstance depends on a time in our lives, either a calamity or a time of joy, that affects us either having a positive or negative impact on us. These are the very same things that also affect our Imaan. A great test from Allah (SWT) indeed.

I am aware that people feel hopeless, helpless and have suicidal temptations at times, but if someone loves, fears and remembers Allah, Allah will solve all his problems and grant for him through unexpected means. Surah Tallaq Ayah 2-3.

In my humble opinion, no matter how hard a calamity befall us, we should accept it from Allah. To Him we belong and to Him we will return. If you put your trust in Allah (SWT), there is no need for a special cure for the diesease. It is a test from Allah (SWT) that we are given the oppurtunity to choose whether we decide to turn to Him, the Almighty, or choose other options such as suicide etc. It is also an oppurtunity that brings us closer to Allah (SWT), by uttering His Dhikr, praying to Him and other forms of worship that give the heart peace.

In Surah Ar Ra'ad it says: The rememberance of Allah puts the heart at peace. And as mentioned above, this involves all sorts of worship, as any worship is rememberance of the Almighty Creator.

I sincerely apologise as if I have in anyway hurt your feelings. My intentions were to share my opinions on this matter.

Assalamualaikum

a_brother

Make dua for us all
:salam2: sister

Du’aa’s to remove depression
Are there any duas to remove my deppresion?

Praise be to Allaah.

In al-Saheehayn it was reported from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when he felt distressed:

“La ilaaha ill-Allaah al-‘Azeem ul-Haleem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb il-‘arsh il-‘azeem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb is-samawaati wa Rabb il-ard wa Rabb il-‘arsh il-kareem (there is no god except Allaah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allaah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne; there is no god except Allaah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne).”

And it was reported from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when something upset him:

“Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoom, bi Rahmatika astagheeth (O Ever-Living One, O Everlasting One, by Your mercy I seek help).”

And it was reported that Asmaa’ bint ‘Umays (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: “Shall I not teach you some words to say when you feel distressed? ‘Allaah, Allaah, Rabbee laa ushriku bihi shay’an (Allaah, Allaah, my Lord, I do not associate anything with Him).’”

It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No person suffers any anxiety or grief, and says:

‘Allaahumma innee ‘abduka wa ibn ‘abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika, maadin fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka, as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘andak an taj’ala al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every Name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety)’

- but Allaah will take away his sorrow and grief, and give him in their stead joy.”

Al-Kalim al-Tayyib by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, edited by Shaykh al-Albaani, p. 72

SOURCE: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/5112/depression

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salamo Alikom dear sister Mesbah01,
Thank you very much for your sweet respond & advice.
May Allah bless you.
:jazaak:
Salamo Alikom

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

My Pleasure Dear Sister. If there is anything I can do for you..Please feel free to PM me, and I will be more than happy to talk things out with you.

My Love,

Assalamualaikum

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salamo ALikom,
thanks for yous answers.
I was wondering though whether Islam regards those who have this kind of depression as weak in faith or as people who need help sometimes medically?
Moreove, I know that prophet Muhammed (PBUH) has recommanded certain types of food for such cases. What are they?
Our dear Prophet has also recommanded walking as a physical activity, as well, in order to "fix the brain chemistry".
Is there anything else that you know about?
Salamo Alikom