How to approach an atheist mother about wearing hijab

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2:

I live in Florida and my family lives in Europe. After an astounding 17 years of being "Muslim", I finally started trying to fulfill all my obligations, and for me, personally, this included wearing hijab.

I was really scared about breaking the news to some members of my family but I had to do it. It is only a matter of time before I see them again as I will be returning to Europe shortly.

My mother was raised in England and is basically not a spiritual person by any stretch of the imagination. As she is really an atheist, I approached the subject on the phone today, with a firm but non-threatening way.

I knew if I started talking about Qur'an and my obligations in the eyes of Allah, etc., that this would be written of as some crazy ranting. Therefore, the conversation went something line this:
"I wanted to tell you Mum that I have started wearing the Islamic scarf..."
"But why?" came the response.
"It is something I had wanted to do for some time but didn't have the nerve to while I was working. I had been covering myself more as I was going to Sunday school at the mosque and I liked wearing it so I decided to wear it full time...."
"But you don't have to wear it in the house, do you?" was the next question.
"No, when I am with family in the house I don't have to wear it but I wear it every time I go out. Basically I am wearing long tunic shirts over a long skirt or trousers and a scarf on my head. I have had a positive reaction here in Florida, more doors held open, more smiles, etc. I don't know what it will be like when I move to Paris but I am sure it is not a big deal as there are so many women wearing hijab there."
"Okay"... end of conversation :)

I had been so nervous about it and Alhamdulillah it went better than I had expected although my mother may be somewhat shellshocked :)

My point is, if you are a revert woman to Islam who is wearing hijab and afraid of telling your family, if your family is basically atheist, the above casual approach may be best.

If you come from a spiritual non-Muslim family, maybe you should get into the small sacrifice we make for Allah and the obligation for all Muslim women to cover themselves.

Whatever your parents are like, be firm in that the decision is already made and it's a done deal. However, always speak kindly to your parents whether they are Muslim or not. I am 38 and was soooooo afraid of my family's reaction that I didn't do this for way too long.... Now I feel a burden lifted, Alhamdulillah.

Hopefully my post may help someone else, Insha Allah.

:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH
As Salaamu Alaikum, sister may ALLAH soften ur Ummi's heart... took much courage on ur part congrads!!!!

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

Its good to see your burden lifted. Alhamdulilah.

I kind of know what you are talking about. When I wanted to start wearing the full dress Abaya ..what ever it is called, it took me a lot of guts to let my family know that that is what I wanted, even though I come from a very religious family. But the response was quite normal. My mother told me If I could find one, as there are very limited places to purchase Hijaab, Abaya's and scarves and all, bascically finding Islamic clothing is hard, then I should get one. My sister was like, "Oh My Lord, I have been waiting for this all my life!"

So the hard bit for me was not telling them but to find a place where I could get one.

May Allah make it easy for you and all those willing to do the same..Aameen.

Assalamualaikum

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikum Mesbah01 and Wonnee3. Thank you for your responses :) Dear mesbah01, if you happen to live in the USA or Canada, there are lots of websites that sell Islamic clothing and usually the shipping is free. I am happy that you did not have to deal with a harsh reaction from your family either, Alhamdulillah.

Dear Wonnee3, thank you for being concerned about Mum :) She is really not into anything spiritual at all and just considers these things folklore and fables. Insha Allah, one day she will be guided :)

Wassalam

OsMaN_93

Here to help
What you wear says a lot about who you are. It also affects the way people perceive you and treat you.
Congratulations, and Alhamdulelah, Allah helped ease this problem and discomfert, and was on your side. :tti_sister:
May you find your(future) tests at all ease, and follow Allah's rule's and guidelines :hearts:

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies. That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Al-Ahzab 33:59)

wassalam alikom.:D

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikum Brother Osman,

Jazak Allahu Khair for your kind words and the quotation from Qur'an which explains the necessity of hijab for anyone in doubt :)

Wassalam

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Assalamu alaikum Mesbah01 and Wonnee3. Thank you for your responses :) Dear mesbah01, if you happen to live in the USA or Canada, there are lots of websites that sell Islamic clothing and usually the shipping is free. I am happy that you did not have to deal with a harsh reaction from your family either, Alhamdulillah.

Assalamualaikum

:bismillah1:

Dear Sister, thank you very much for your concern, I appreciate it.

However, I do not live in USA or Canada. I live in Australia.

Assalamualaikum

AAminAA

Amatullah

Ask your mother :" If a man killes so many people, like Hitler killed 6 milions of jewish, would that be logic that killing him was only punishment and solution ? What for the rest 4,9 milions of other lifes ? How to make up to them ? Istead of that, there is after life were God s.w.t., can throw him into a fire 5 milion times and ramain there for ever . That's for her to believe in God Almighty.

For hijab i wish you a luck hunny.

Salaam sister Cmelbouzaidi,

I liked your subtle approach. It went very smooth and logical- alhamdulillah. I think the fact that your mom was curious if the hijab had to be worn at home is a sign of curiosity, openness, and willingness to learn & understand.

Athiest believe in no god, this in itself is half of the Islamic shahada (declaration of faith), "I bear witness there is no god, except Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of God." Mathematically speaking, your mom is 50% Muslim :SMILY149:

May Allah continue to shower His blessing upon you and inshallah open the doors of Islam to your family.