I feel kinda dumb for asking but...

Shannonx

This has pretty much confused me since I started looking at prayer times.

Muslims pray 5 times a day, but when I look at prayer times it's actually 6 times a day we pray?

This really has confused me, I pray no matter what but I just wonder why it says prayer times for 6 times a day. :shymuslima1: Forgive me if it's a dumb question, lol but I really don't know.

Asalam alaikum

palestine

Servant of Allah
Brother let me help you count: we pray 5 times a day
1. fajr-morning
2.dhuhur-mid afternoon
3.asr- about late afternoon like 5 to 6 pm
4.maghrib-night time when it starts to get dark
5.'isha-night time but way later than maghrib

i don't know where you are getting the 6. unless you are counting the optional prayers (sunnah prayers).

i hope that i've helped.:salam2: :tti_sister:
PS: don't be embarrassed for asking that question. this is religion based and their is nothing to be shy about.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

Sister, we are all here to learn from each other.

It is not a prayer after Fajr!!!!!!!!

Shurooq time is listed on most prayer charts which can be confusing to some new Muslims. It can be especially confusing to those who don't have other Muslims around to teach them. It's a common mistake of new Muslims to pray at the time of shurooq thinking that it is time for one of the prayers.

But shurooq is not a prayer time. Shurooq is actually the time of sunrise, the time when the upper limb of the sun just starts to appear above the horizon. This marks the end time for fajr/morning prayers. If you have not prayed fajr prayer before the time of shurooq then you have lost the reward of praying fajr on time.

This doesn't mean not to pray the morning prayer if you oversleep until shurooq time! You just wait until the sun rises some more and then pray the morning prayer (2 rakats). And Allah knows better than us.

Aliyah206

it's definitly not dumb..you didn't no and you wanted to know..thats pretty normal..never feel ashame of geting knowladge brotha..we pray five times a day"
Fajir
Duhor
asir
magrib
isha

You probably have the IslamicFinder prayer pop up, you might be confusing it where it says "Sunrise" That is the time that you should not be praying.

walaakum salaam

Shannonx

Asalam alaikum
When i type in my area code for islamicfinder.org
it says

Day Tuesday
Fajr 4:30
Sunrise 5:49
Dhuhr 12:49
Asr 4:35
Maghrib 7:49
Isha 9:09

So I don't do the Sunrise one?

lol I should point out too that i'm not a brother, i'm a sister :)

That is correct. That is NOT a prayer time. You should not pray when the sun is rising. Please refer to Happy 2BA Muslim comments.

walaakum salaam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
No you don`t do the sunrise one. It is not a prayer. It is the time of sunrise.

Duha prayer is a sunnah prayer performed any time between 15 minutes after sunrise until 10 minutes before zuhr prayer.

AishaR

Inshallah this finds you all in good health.

Sis I had the same problem when I reverted. I couldnt understand why it was showing 6 times but only 5 prayers.

Please dont be afraid to ask us anything sis. We all have to start somewhere!!

:wasalam:
Sis Aisha

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Muslims pray 5 times a day, but when I look at prayer times it's actually 6 times a day we pray?

This really has confused me, I pray no matter what but I just wonder why it says prayer times for 6 times a day. :shymuslima1: Forgive me if it's a dumb question, lol but I really don't know.

Asalam alaikum

Sister dont hesitate to ask...And believe me it is better to look dumb than living with a question unanswered ....(imagine how u are going to explain to god when u die)

Anyways , i dont the question ask was dumb....:SMILY286:

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Shannon,

You wrote the following in post #1 of this thread:

And in post #7, you wrote the following:

Asalam alaikum
When i type in my area code for islamicfinder.org
it says

Day Tuesday
Fajr 4:30
Sunrise 5:49
Dhuhr 12:49
Asr 4:35
Maghrib 7:49
Isha 9:09

So I don't do the Sunrise one?

The time for the sunrise indicates the time by which you should have already prayed the Fajr [Dawn] prayer. That means that you should do whatever it takes to perform the Fajr prayer between 4:30 and 5:49. It is not an optional matter for you to delay performing the Fajr prayer after sunrise. If you perform the Fajr prayer after sunrise without an excuse, then you have committed a major sin.

You should do whatever it takes to make sure you get up on time to do perform ablution and then pray the Fajr prayer. That includes sleeping early in the night so that it becomes easier for you to wake up early. You should also set your alarm clock to wake you up. And if one alarm clock isn't enough, then buy two or more. You could also try placing them away from your hand's reach so that you'd have to get up and walk to the clock to shut off the alarm.

If, after all such precautions, you still overslept, or you genuinely forgot to perform the Fajr prayer, then that's an excuse. Whenever you wake up or whenever you remember [whatever the case may be], then you should at once perform the Fajr prayer even if that was within 10-15 minutes from sunrise. That means that you must not wait for 15 minutes to pass after sunrise to perform the Fajr prayer.

And this is contrary to what Happy 2BA Muslim wrote in post #4:

This doesn't mean not to pray the morning prayer if you oversleep until shurooq time! You just wait until the sun rises some more and then pray the morning prayer (2 rakats).

And it's also contrary to what ayman1 wrote in post #12:

Like the others said, sunrise (Shurooq) marks the end of Dawn (Fajr) prayer time, but you can still pray the morning prayer (Subh) starting at 20 minutes after sunrise if you miss Fajr.

The following is a religious opinion [fatwa] issued by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's his answer to question no. 20013 [Making up prayers at times when prayer is disallowed]. Please read the whole opnion, and take special note of the noteofthe parts I coloured red:

Question:
People say that no kada(due)prayer can be offered immediaely after the 'Asr' prayer. Please help by giving me a comprehensive answer regarding this saying.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly – there are some times at which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disallowed prayer. These are:

1 – From after Fajr prayer until the sun has appeared and risen to the height of a spear, i.e., approximately fifteen minutes. (al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/162).

2 – The time when the sun is at its zenith in the middle of the sky. This is a short time before the time for Zuhr prayer begins, approximately one-quarter of an hour or twenty minutes. (Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 11/286). Some of the scholars said that it was shorter than that. Ibn Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that it is a brief time period, not even long enough to pray, only enough to say the takbeer to start the prayer. (Haashiyat Ibn Qaasim ‘ala’l-Rawd al-Murabba’, 2/245)

3 – After ‘Asr prayer until the sun sets.

These three times were mentioned in many ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying at these times. These ahaadeeth include the following:

1 – Al-Bukhaari (586) and Muslim (728) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘There is no prayer after ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set, and no prayer after Fajr prayer until the sun has risen.’”

2 – Muslim (832) narrated that ‘Amr ibn ‘Abasah al-Sulami (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I said, ‘O Prophet of Allaah, tell me what Allaah has taught you and I do not know, tell me about the prayer.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Pray Subh (Fajr) prayer, then do not pray until the sun has appeared and risen… then pray for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until the shadow of a spear points due north – which is the time when the sun is in the middle of the sky – then stop praying, for at that time Hell is stoked up. When the shadow turns – which is the beginning of the time for Zuhr – then pray, for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until you pray ‘Asr. Then stop praying until the sun sets…”

Secondly: what is meant by making up prayers (qada’) is doing the prayer after the time for that prayer is over. The made-up prayer may be either fard (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory).

Fard prayers: The Muslims must pray regularly at the times defined by Allaah for each prayer. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

Delaying the prayer until its time is over without a reason or excuse is haraam, and it is a major sin.

If the Muslim has an excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, and he was not able to do the prayer on time, then he must make up the prayer when that reason no longer applies, even if that is at one of the times when prayer is disallowed. This is the view of the majority of scholars.
See al-Mughni, 2/515.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever sleeps and misses the prayer or forgets it, let him pray it when he remembers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 597; Muslim, 684)

Naafil prayers: the scholars differed with regard to making them up at times when prayer is disallowed. The correct view is that they should be made up. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him). See al-Majmoo’, 4/170. It was also the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), as stated in al-Fataawa, 23/127. This is indicated by a number of ahaadeeth, such as:

The report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1233) and Muslim (834) from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs after ‘Asr, and she asked him about that. He said: “Some people from ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and distracted me from praying two rak’ahs after Zuhr, so I did them now.”

Ibn Maajah (1154) narrated that Qays ibn ‘Amr said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying two rak'ahs after he had prayed Fajr prayer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Are you praying Fajr twice?” The man said to him, “I did not pray the two rak’ahs that come before it, so I prayed them now.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent. This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah (984). Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent indicates that it is permissible. (al-Mughni, 2/532).

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and grant him peace.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=20013&ln=eng

So, to summarize what I wrote above:

1- You should take all the necessary precautions to perform your prayers in the time allotted for them by God Almighty. This includes taking care to perform the Fajr prayer before sunrise. Failing to observe the alloted times for the obligatory prayers -without a legitimate excuse- is a major sin.

2- If you miss performing the Fajr prayer -having a legitimate excuse- then you should immediately perform the Fajr prayer even if you're within the time frame of 15-20 minutes after sunrise.

I'd also like to say that you should not think any question is dumb. It's a good thing you asked.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
If you count Tajawud (?), which seems to me to be a "voluntary" obligatory prayer, you could say there are six.

Can someone explain to me what is tajawud..

i have only heard of tahajud...:)

Maybe someone could get some info...abt if we continously pray dhuha , we get what...if we continuosly pray qadiah and ba'diah , what we get...
tahajud?

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
okay......Fajr prayer is at about 2 am my time....can I then make it up along with the next prayer?

I know this sounds lame...but I work full time, I have realised I have to get up 3 times in the night to pray? I know i am a weak person, but how can I do a full days work on no sleep???

okay......Fajr prayer is at about 2 am my time....can I then make it up along with the next prayer?

I know this sounds lame...but I work full time, I have realised I have to get up 3 times in the night to pray? I know i am a weak person, but how can I do a full days work on no sleep???

Yes you can make up your previous prayer in your next prayer, but to attain Allah's greater reward and wisdom, it is best to do them on time. Only Allah knows you and can see how hard you are striving.

Another great thing to do is exercise, it helps alot. You will have more energy and feel strong & confident. Plus once you do your prayers on top of that, you feel like you accomplished alot in your day- trust me.

Hope this helps also.........

Allaah has enjoined upon His slaves five prayers every day, day and night. He has commanded them to observe these prayers regularly and establish them, and He praises those who do so. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And perform As-Salaat (Iqaamat-as-Salaat), and give Zakaat, and bow down (or submit yourselves with obedience to Allaah) along with Ar‑Raaki‘oon (those who bow or submit themselves to Allaah)” [al-Baqarah 2:43]

“Guard strictly (five obligatory) As‑Salawaat (the prayers) especially the middle Salaat (i.e. the best prayer ‑ ‘Asr). And stand before Allaah with obedience [and do not speak to others during the Salaat (prayers)]” [al-Baqarah 2:238]

“Successful indeed are the believers.

Those who offer their Salaat (prayers) with all solemnity and full submissiveness” [al-Mu’minoon 23:1-2]

“And those who strictly guard their (five compulsory congregational) Salawaat (prayers) (at their fixed stated hours).” [al-Mu’minoon 23:9]

So you have to pay attention to establishing regular prayer and keeping it up, and focusing on it, and taking the specific means of achieving that, so that you may be one of the successful. Do not worry yourself by thinking about the ruling on one who misses one or two prayers and whether he is a kaafir or not.

Whoever deliberately misses a prayer exposes himself to the wrath of Allaah, and the wise believer does not do something which he knows could result in punishment, even if it is not kufr as such. The five daily prayers, and all other acts of worship, and avoiding what is forbidden – none of this can be achieved except with patience. These are things which people find difficult by nature, because they come between a person and some of his desires.The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Paradise is surrounded by things which are disliked.” The issue of prayer in Islam is very important. Hence the responsible adult is not let off prayer for as long as he is alive and he is in his right mind. But Allaah has made things easier for His slaves with regard to the duty of praying. He allows us to join prayers and shorten them whilst travelling, and He allows us to join prayers when we are not travelling if not doing so will cause greater hardship. He allows the sick person to pray according to what he can do, standing, sitting or lying on his side. Hence we know that being busy earning a living is not an excuse for not praying. But if there is some unusual hardship involved, it is permissible to pray Zuhr and ‘Asr together at the time of either of them, and to pray Maghrib and ‘Isha’ together at the time of either of them.

Allaah commanded us to stop trading in order to pray Jumu’ah (Friday prayers), and He praised those who do not let trades or sales divert them from the remembrance of Allaah. So strive to do the prayers on time and in congregation. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Praying in congregation is twenty-seven times better than praying alone.”

Note that praying regularly is one of the greatest means of attaining the mercy of Allaah and His pleasure and His Paradise, which is the main goal.It is also a means of making earning one’s provision easier, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And enjoin al-salaah (the prayer) on your family, and bepatient in offering them[i.e., the prayers].We ask not of you a provision (i.e., to give Us something: money, etc.); We provide for you. And the good end (i.e., Paradise) is for the muttaqoon (pious).”

[Ta-Ha 20:132]

The Muslim does not ask people for any reward for his worhip of his Lord. He prays for Allaah, he fasts for Allaah, he does Hajj for Allaah, and he hopes for the reward of Allaah. When you say we do not get get paid to pray like the imaams, this is a mistake in your way of thinking. It is not permissible for the imaam to take a salary for doing the prayers; imaams and muezzins are being paid for doing a job which requires them to to be present at the mosque every time (so that they can devote their time to doing their duties of leading prayers, giving khutbahs, issuing fatwas and judging between people). But it is better for a Muslim to fulfil the duties of an imaam or muezzin voluntarily, hoping for the reward of Allaah.

When you say we have families, children, etc… this is not an excuse for missing some of the prayers. You have to devote some of your time to doing the prayers. It is only a small amount of time, for each prayer, doing it and preparing for it, does not take more than a quarter of an hour.

If you do give up some of the prayers because you are too busy seeking provision, we will not confirm that you are a kaafir, but we will say that you are a sinner who is committing a major sin. We have already stated above that in cases of unusual difficulty you can put Zuhr and ‘Asr together at the time of either of them,. We also remind you that it is essential to pray fajr at the right time, which is from the start of dawn until the sun rises.

May Allaah help us and you to obey Him.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak.
Islam QA

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
okay...so fajr doesn't have to be made at 2 am...it can be done before sunrise.....okay......

i think i am getting it...lol

cheers for the advice...muchas gracias

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Delaying Fajr prayer until the sun has almost risen​

Question:
What is the ruling on delaying Fajr prayer until the sun has almost risen and not offering it at the proper time?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The five daily prayers have set times, the beginning and end of which are well defined, and the prayer must be offered on time. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

This indicates that the prayers are obligatory and have set times, and are not valid at other times. These times are well established among the Muslims, young and old, knowledgeable and ignorant, and they learned that from their Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who said:

“Pray as you have seen me praying.”

From Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 204

Delaying the prayer beyond its proper time with no excuse is a major sin, and Allaah has warned us against it as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So woe unto those performers of Salaah (prayers) (hypocrites),

5. Those who delay their Salaah (prayer from their stated fixed times)”

[al-Ma’oon 107:4-5]

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: (This means) those who delay their prayers from the proper time.

See Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 20/211

Secondly:

The time for Fajr prayer lasts from the onset of the true dawn until the sun starts to rise.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“The time for Fajr prayer is from the breaking of dawn, so long as the sun has not started to rise.” Narrated by Muslim, 612.

If a person offers this prayer during this time, he has prayed on time. Based on this, what is mentioned in the question about praying close to sunrise not being the right time is not correct. Rather the time for Fajr prayer lasts until the sun begins to rise.

Thirdly:

The questioner may be referring to some people who delay Fajr prayer until they are certain or think it most likely that the time for it has started. This is due to what is said about mistakes about the time of Fajr in the timetables that are currently available.

But this mistake is not so serious, rather some scholars have stated that it is only the matter of between 20 and 30 minutes.

Fourthly:

It was the Prophet’s way to pray Fajr before the light of day appeared. This is indicated by a number of ahaadeeth:

1 – al-Bukhaari (560) and Muslim (646) narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr when it was still dark (ghalas).

Al-Bukhaari (872) and Muslim (645) narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr when it was still dark (ghalas) and the believing women would depart and no one would recognize them because it was so dark, or they would not recognize one another.

The word “ghalas” refers to the darkness at the end of the night, as it says in the dictionary, and that is the beginning of the dawn.

End quote from Subul al-Salaam.

Al-Nawawi said:

The words “and no one would recognize them because it was so dark” refer to the fact that it was still nighttime and dark. Al-Dawoodi said: What this means is that no one could tell if they were women or men.

End quote from Sharh Muslim by al-Nawawi.

3 – Ibn Maajah (671) narrated that Mugheeth ibn Sumay said: I prayed Fajr with ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Zubayr in the darkness at the end of the night just before daybreak, and when he said the tasleem I turned to Ibn ‘Umar and said, What is this prayer? He said, This is how we prayed with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and with Abu Bakr and ‘Umar. When ‘Umar was stabbed, ‘Uthmaan delayed it until there was light.

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

These ahaadeeth indicate that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr at the beginning of its time.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni (1/540):

With regard to Fajr prayer, it is better to pray when it is still dark. This is the view of Maalik, al-Shaafa’i and Ishaaq. There is also evidence to this effect narrated from Abu Bakr, ‘Umar, Ibn Mas’ood, Abu Moosa, Ibn al-Zubayr and ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez.

Islam Q&A