I had no idea that learning Arabic would be possible for me!

StudioArabiya

Torrie embraced Islam in March 2019, masha'Allah! This life-changing decision, which she calls the best of her life, led her to embark on a learning journey with the Arabic language. She became a Studio Arabiya student in November 2020 and she is sharing her experience thus far studying Classical Arabic with us.

b2ap3_large_Blog_I-had-no-idea-that-learning-Arabic-would-be-possible-for-me Blog: I had no idea that Learning Arabic would be Possible for Me

"My journey with the Arabic language began in March of 2019, when I made the best decision of my life and converted to Islam, Alhamdulillah. When I say my journey began, that does not mean I was actively trying to learn the language. For about a year after becoming a Muslim, I truly believed that I would never be able to learn Arabic, and I even tried to tell myself that I did not need to learn it. Thankfully, my mindset began to shift as I was diving deeper into Islamic studies, trying to grasp the full beauty of Islam, and I realized the desire I had to understand the language of this complete and amazing religion.

Before becoming a student at Studio Arabiya, I had no prior knowledge of reading, writing, or understanding the Arabic language. All I had been familiar with were the five daily prayers and several Arabic sayings and duas. In the Quran, Allah tells us He has specifically sent down the Quran in Arabic, for our benefit has made it easy to remember, and we are called to reflect upon the meanings of its verses:

"Indeed, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'ān that you might understand." (Surah Yusuf, 12:2)

"And We have certainly made the Qur'ān easy for remembrance, so is there any who will remember?" (Surah Al-Qamar, 54:17)

"[This is] a blessed Book which We have revealed to you, [O Muḥammad], that they might reflect upon its verses and that those of understanding would be reminded." (Surah Saad, 38:29)

SubhanAllah, these verses are a powerful reminder that Allah has sent the Quran in the Arabic language for a divine purpose, He has made it easy for us to learn and remember, and we should put forward our best effort to study it. Even though my studies with Studio Arabiya have only recently began, I have been able to memorize and write the Arabic alphabet, begin learning the diacritical markings, and sound out the letters to read and spell words. The learning has been very personalized, and my teacher has been moving along at the pace that works for me Alhumdulillah. Before beginning this class, I had no idea that learning Arabic would be possible for me, due to my prior incomplete attempts at learning other languages and my fully English background.

My class with Studio Arabiya has given me the encouragement and momentum I needed to move forward with my pursuit in learning Arabic. It has been an exciting challenge each time I join my class and am asked to read the words on the screen. I find a new and uplifting confidence with each correctly read and written word. To anyone considering diving into learning the Arabic language, Studio Arabiya is the best place to start due to their personalized learning that allows you to start from any level. This class has given me hope that with Allah's Will and my dedication, learning this language is not only possible for me but more straightforward than I had previously thought, Alhumdulillah.