I want to retaliate…

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

I want to retaliate…
بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم
الحمد الله

Before battle of Badr, Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was arranging ranks to launch an attack and was straightening the lines as if he was straightening the lines for the Salah. He was holding an arrow in his hand and he came up to one of the soldiers Sawaad ibn Ghuzaiyyah رضي الله عنه who was protruding a bit from the line. So Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم pushed him back with the arrow in his stomach. Sawaad رضي الله عنه said, “O’ Messenger of Allah, you hurt me! I want to retaliate.” Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم exposed his stomach and said, “Go ahead and retaliate.” Sawaad رضي الله عنه hugged Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and kissed his stomach. Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم responded, “Why did you do that?” Sawaad رضي الله عنه answered, “O’ Messenger of Allah, you can see what is about to happen. I wanted my last contact with you to be my skin touching yours.” Then Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم made du‘a for Sawaad رضي الله عنه, “May Allah bless you.”

Lessons to be learnt:

1) Humility of Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم: He صلى الله عليه و سلم did not tell other soldiers to take him away and got tortured for what he said like leaders of our times would
2) Justice of Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم when he allowed the companion رضي الله عنه to retaliate
3) Love of Sawaad رضي الله عنه for Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم

salahdin

Prophet (pbuh) has set a standard

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Umar (ra) lived by trade before becoming Khalifah. When he was made Khalifah after Abu Bakr (ra), he assembled the people and said to them: “I earned my living through trade. As you people have engaged me as Khalifah, I cannot attend to my business. Now, what about my living?” Different amounts of daily allowance from the Bait-ul-Mal were suggested by different people, but Ali (ra) did not speak..’Umar inquired of him: “Oh Ali what is your suggestion?” He replied: I suggest that you should take such amount as may be on average be sufficient for your family.” ‘Umar accepted his suggestion and a moderate amount was fixed as his daily allowance. Later on, some people including Ali, ‘Uthman, Zubair and Talhah (Radiyallaho ‘anhum) once proposed that ‘Umar’s allowance might be increased, as it was hardly sufficient for him, but nobody dared to suggest that to ‘Umar. People approached Ummul-momineen Hafsah (ra), ‘Umar’s daughter, and requested her to ascertain ‘Umar’s reaction to the suggestion without mentioning their names to him. When Hafsah talked about it to ‘Umar, he became angry and said, “Who are the persons making this suggestion?” Hafsah said, “Let me first know your opinion.” ‘Umar said, “If I knew them, I would smite them on their faces Hafsah! Just tell me what was the Prophet’s best dress in your house?” Hafsah replied, “It was a pair of reddish brown clothes, which the Prophet (pbuh) wore on Friday or while receiving some envoy.” ‘Umar then asked, “What was the best of food that the Prophet (pbuh) ever took at your house?” Hafsah replied, “Simple barley bread was the only food we used to take. One day I anointed a piece of bread with the sediments from an empty butter tin, and he ate it with relish and offered it to others as well.” ‘Umar asked again, “What was the best bedding that the Prophet ever used in your house?” Hafsah again replied, “It was a piece of thick cloth. In the summer it was spread in four layers, and in the winter in two, half he spread underneath and with the other half he covered himself.” ‘Umar said, “Hafsah! Go and tell these people that the Prophet (pbuh) has set a standard by his personal example. I must follow him. My example and that of my other two companions, the Prophet (pbuh) and Abu Bakr (ra) is like that of three men travelling on the same road. The first man started with a provision and reached the goal. The second followed the first and joined him. Now the third is on his way. If he follows their way, he will also join them, otherwise he can never reach them.” Source: From “Fada’il al ‘Amaal by Shaykhul Hadith Muhammad Zakariyya Kaandhlawi.