I was told no hijab at my work Walmart

booya

Assalamualaikum

I don't know about wal-mart, but I do know that at a Target near my place there are as many as 3 hijabi sisters working there. There are also 2 at a local drugstore. So I don't think hijab should be an issue. Go fight for your rights!

palestine

Servant of Allah
hey if it comes to your faith or this job, they can shove it up their ass! sue them idiots! what state do you live in? Tell them of your rights as a citizen, show them you know your place. if they say anything else take their ass to court so other muslims will be working there if needed! salam.

Salam

In my business Law class, one must make an attempt to rectify the situation before suing - that is why I suggested the letter to the district office.

Wal-mart is actually pretty well known (as a company) for hiring a diverse work-force and hiring those deemed "unhireable" by other companies. I have been to Wal-marts where there have been ladies in hijab working along side pregnant teens with tattoos and lots of piercings.

The problem isn't wal-mart - it is the managers who are telling her not to wear hijab. That is, again, why I suggested the letter. The managers may be required to go through sensititivyt training or a class on understanding Islam - in any case, the sister WILL be supported by wal-mart, as she is already employed there.

Write the letter firmly and be ready to speak to an attorney if necessary, but, insha'Allah a firm letter will help resolve the situation (even if it is that the hours of you and the manager are opposite so you don't work at the same time).

Good luck

Lana[/QUOT

Before you start diffending walmart maybe you should read this

please see this www.wakeupwalmat.com
or www.walmartwatch.com

sumaya_02

proud muslimah
:salam2:
Sis u will be making fun of them on the day of judgement as they are making fun of u now inshallah. May Allah help u and i will make lots of dua's for u in my prayers inshallah.
:wasalam:

aishah_2304m

peace lover
walaikyumasalam wa rahmutulaahi wa baraktu dear sister Canadianmuslimah.....may Allah make thingz easy 4 uu ameen :tti_sister:...all i wanna say s dat hijab s da right f a muslim woman n definitely da most beautiful ornament f her....u don need 2 remove ur hijab 4 any1 bcoz god has asked u 2 do cover urself...

masha Allah u hav been given relli gud advices by our brothers n sisters n i hope insha Allah thingz get sorted 4 u! :muslim_child:

but derz a nasheed which i wanna share wid u as it s similar 2 ur situation-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNOK-4Cy7o

tcc sister....taqabala Allah...and remember Allah s wid u alwayz so b firm in ur deen!

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalaam Alaykium

I agree. I was totally surprse it see it was Wal-mkart or Wal-green. Those are the places a lot of our young Muslim sisters with hijab work with their hijab on in my state. So i agree check with the company. Everyone has the right to express their belifes whether you are Candian or American. So write that letter sis and you will inshallah make easy for new sisters who might work their. May Allah SWT make it easy for you Inshallah.

W'assslaam Salaam

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,
No doubt sister, the bigoted attitude expressed by your manager, and echoed by your work colleagues is not acceptable. I have had a rough look at the links you provided, and yes they do seem to have a lot of issues, which is not according to their written commitment to diversity. Nevertheless, i encourage you to take the advice of q8penpals as it would be the most pragmatic response (do it in the format in which the brother advised if possible). If this does not resolve the issue then you can take it further, however conciliation seems the best first approach. Remember despite their negative attitude towards observing the hijab, never lower yourself to their level and dignify them by responding in an equally negative manner. Your reward is with Allah for your patience and steadfastness in this, don't let them ruin it. Let us know the outcome after the letter.
Suing may or may not solve the individual problem, but if we take a more conciliatory tone, it may change the prejudices of those fraught with prejudice; so in the long run it will make it easier for future hijab observing muslimahs to be welcomed into the workforce with open arms, rather than being welcomed through gritted teeth due to external pressure.
May Allah soften the heart of those guys towards Islam, and may Allah make us steadfast, and give us hikmah.
May Allah make it easy for you sister.
Wassalaam

dianek

:astag:salaam alaikum
i started working walmart few months ago and when they did interview me i was waering veil over my head and long dress after the position i applied i found out there were no muslim worked this before me in this store i was the first muslim in this position and the store had one muslimah who didnt put hijab and ofcouse me with the hijab , my supervisor came to on black friday at 5am morrnig as was helping custumers she said to me listen(i know you are new comer to walmart falimy and i dont know if they told you before this position is to hear costumers what they saying to you well and i dont think what you have over you hair whayou call that hijaab it fit this position, if you cant take off this maybe you should look for another job and see living here its hard to find job its small town and no one is going to hire you ,) , i when to assistant manager on my department and he came back and told me (i cant coach people around do as she said to you, this is america and its not overseas, )i told him im canadian muslim born i lived canada never had to throught this before i know america you have freedom of religion then he said ( that dont apply to you miss) and he said even if you try involve outsider to this problem it dont mean that you are going to get your way. when i asked palce i can pray they sent to me the bathroom or electric room with high voltage room , they make fun of me be the only wearing skirt

Salaam sister....that may be the people of this particular store, but on a broad range, I know that Walmart opened a store in Michigan geared towards Muslims.......so I would go to corporate and file a discrimination complaintment, if no satisfaction there......contact the ACLU....

amira87

I love Allah
salam

i started working walmart few months ago and when they did interview me i was waering veil over my head and long dress after the position i applied i found out there were no muslim worked this before me in this store i was the first muslim in this position and the store had one muslimah who didnt put hijab and ofcouse me with the hijab , my supervisor came to on black friday at 5am morrnig as was helping custumers she said to me listen(i know you are new comer to walmart falimy and i dont know if they told you before this position is to hear costumers what they saying to you well and i dont think what you have over you hair whayou call that hijaab it fit this position, if you cant take off this maybe you should look for another job and see living here its hard to find job its small town and no one is going to hire you ,) , i when to assistant manager on my department and he came back and told me (i cant coach people around do as she said to you, this is america and its not overseas, )i told him im canadian muslim born i lived canada never had to throught this before i know america you have freedom of religion then he said ( that dont apply to you miss) and he said even if you try involve outsider to this problem it dont mean that you are going to get your way. when i asked palce i can pray they sent to me the bathroom or electric room with high voltage room , they make fun of me be the only wearing skirt

thats illegal....you can sue them for that!

tabaria

Call the walmart HR department. Tell them what happened, and what your assistant manager said. Maybe you want to keep a tape recorder with you from now on. But yeah if that doesn't work, contact CAIR, or other groups.

q8penpals

Man if I were ther, I would've put them on a hitlist. Or I would've hurt them myself. WAlk down the street, find out ya get shot in the leg by a heat.

Salam

Please don't talk like this, even in jest. This type of thing is why others think Muslims are violent! even if I were not Muslim, I would tell you it is not appropriate to joke about seriously injuring or killing people.

Lana

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member

salam aleikum
Wal Mart is the most sick retail store ,they rather to hire somebody with mental ilness then hijabi .
I dont know in what state u are in ,but here I noticed the people that they hire are not usually normal :girl3: most of them not .I heared a lot of bad staff about wal-Mart and I just dont like it at all ,and after all what u said sister I dont like it even more ...
I just know that Wal -mart is banned by most Christians ,coz Wal Mart openly supports homosexuality ,and I know personally a person who was threatened by Wal-Mart...
So sister dont work for them and dont feel down by their attitude towards muslims .Allah knows what is better for u .When Allah close one door He will always open the other one ,u will find somethingelse inshaAllah

waaleikum salam

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Salam

Please don't talk like this, even in jest. This type of thing is why others think Muslims are violent! even if I were not Muslim, I would tell you it is not appropriate to joke about seriously injuring or killing people.

Lana

I agree. That is something you shouldn't joke about.

ummsami89

hijab at work

salam aliakum sister. I have been muslim for 8 years. I have been in hijab 7.5 years. I was working in a dept store(now called Macys) for 3 years prior to being muslim. I had left for a year. When I came back, I was in hijab. I spoke to the HR lady and she said, "Jamie, I know you converted, do you have to wear the scarf"? I said. yes. and that was it. I have had no problem WHATSOEVER with the scarf from my employer, alhumduillah. (customers and other associates, thats another thing) ... aNYWAY, they cant do anything to you. They cant fire you and they have to accomodate you, legally. THEY KNOW THAT. I assume Canada has laws just like America...........The management was very unprofessional and rude to you it seems. How old are you, may I ask? If you are very young, unfortunately people feel they can talk to you like that.....take advantage. DONT LET THEM BULLY YOU......sister. I wish you the best. Oh, and I pray in the fitting rooms. I have a little gadget(cant remember the name of it), that says what direction to pray.and I use that. that way, you dont have to ask for a place to pray. Just take a quick break or on your lunch. they cant say anything. If you feel uncomfortable about it at the beginning, as I did, take some clothes "to try on". if you are shy about it.
take care. I will make dua for you. if you have any questions, feel free to email me .
Your sister in Islam,
jamie, aka ummsami89

3:54

It is against the law in Canada to discriminate in the workplace due to religious apparel or practices, the employer has to accommodate your needs, especially one of the caliber of Wal-Mart. In Canada, it has to do with reasonable accommodation, if you are not offending others by your modesty or infringing on other peoples rights you are allowed to practice. I suggest very heavily that you warn your manager about his duty to accommodate, and that he is walking on egg-shells with the ongoing work place harassment.

At the same time it is important to remember that the power of the Muslim people is not enforced by the laws that protect us, but our brothers and sister who fight and empathise with us. Perhaps we shall get that particular stores email and write a letter to managment? If we send enough they may see an arising issue?

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Canadianmuslimah,

To begin with, I'd like to say that the advice given by sister q8penpals [in posts 9 and 21] is excellent. I sincerely hope you implement the steps she has advised. Insha'Allah [Allah willing], this will rectify the situation without any need for going to court.

However, if that does not work, then I'd like to inform you that there's an agency of the Federal Government called the "U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission" (EEOC). This agency ensures the implementation of Anti-Discrimination laws all around the United States. Their homepage is www.eeoc.gov

The following case should help you:

ALAMO CAR RENTAL GUILTY OF RELIGIOUS BIAS FEDERAL COURT RULES IN EEOC LAWSUIT​

EEOC Said Muslim Employee Fired for Wearing Head Scarf Shortly After 9/11 Attacks

PHOENIX – In a legal victory for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Arizona Federal District Court Judge Roslyn Silver ruled that Alamo Car Rental committed post-9/11 backlash discrimination based on religion when it terminated a Somali customer sales representative in December 2001 for refusing to remove her head scarf during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Alamo Car Rental is owned and operated by Ft. Lauderdale-based Alamo Rent-A-Car LLC and ANC Rental Corporation – a subsidiary of Vanguard Car Rental USA Inc.

In the first post-9/11 backlash case brought by the EEOC’s Phoenix District Office, the court took the unusual step of finding the religious discrimination so clear cut based on the pleadings that it did not need to be resolved by a jury.

“It is extremely rare that a court will find discrimination based solely on the pleadings,” said Mary Jo O’Neill, Regional Attorney for the Phoenix District Office. “The court found undisputed evidence that Alamo should have approved this employee’s request to wear her head scarf as a religious accommodation or proposed a reasonable alternative.”

According to Judge Silver’s ruling: “It is undisputed that the accommodation Alamo offered Ms. Nur required her to remove her head covering during Ramadan when she served clients but still required her to serve clients, making it impossible for Ms. Nur to avoid removing her head covering at work.” Accordingly, Alamo’s proposal would have failed to accommodate Ms. Nur’s religious conflict and was not a reasonable accommodation.”

The EEOC filed suit in September 2002 (EEOC v Alamo Rent -A-Car, LLC; ANC Rental Corporation, CIV 02 1908 PHX ROS) in the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona only after exhausting its conciliation efforts to reach a voluntary settlement.

Prior to being fired, charging party Bilan Nur had worked for Alamo since 1999. EEOC’s lawsuit asserted that the company had permitted her to wear a head covering for religious reasons during Ramadan in 1999 and 2000. However, following the tragic events of September 11, 2001, Alamo refused to permit Ms. Nur to observe this particular religious belief during December of 2001.

Alamo claimed that it told Ms. Nur that the company dress code prohibited wearing of a scarf. Notwithstanding Alamo’s representation, the EEOC found that the company had no such policy. When Ms. Nur refused to remove the religious garment, Alamo disciplined, suspended and terminated her employment following consultation with regional level human resources officials and in-house counsel.

“I am very pleased that the judge believed that Alamo’s actions were illegal,” said Ms. Nur, who now resides in Minneapolis. “No person should ever have to be forced to choose between her religion and her job. Alamo appeared to understand this before the horrible attacks of September 11, 2001. Then something changed. This has been an incredible nightmare for me and I am very grateful to the EEOC for its efforts to correct this wrong.”

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against individuals because of their religion in hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employment. Employers must reasonably accommodate employees' sincerely held religious beliefs or practices unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the employer. A reasonable religious accommodation is any adjustment to the work environment that will allow the employee to practice his religion

“Unless a religious accommodation imposes an undue hardship, employers are strongly advised to look favorably on such requests,” said EEOC Regional Attorney O’Neill. “Given the strong facts of this case, we are surprised that a large employer as sophisticated as Alamo has repeatedly refused to stand up and take responsibility for such a conspicuous violation of law.”

Chester V. Bailey, District Director for the EEOC Phoenix office, said: “As the court found, Alamo dismissed the requests by Ms. Nur for accommodation without consideration, in violation of the mandates of Title VII. This decision was made at the corporate Human Resources level apparently in consultation with in-house counsel., Alamo’s violation is particularly noteworthy given that one of the individuals involved in the disciplinary action wore a cross at work.”

According to its web site (www.alamo.com), Alamo Rent-A-Car is one of the nation’s largest rental car companies operating in 1,000 locations nationwide and internationally. The Alamo Rent-A-Car brand is owned and operated by Vanguard Car Rental USA Inc., a worldwide organization with more than 3,200 locations in 83 countries and a domestic fleet of more than 217,000 automobiles.

The EEOC is the federal government agency that enforces the nation’s anti-discrimination laws in the workplace based on race, color, sex (including sexual harassment and pregnancy), religion, national origin, retaliation, age and disability. Further information about the Commission is available on the agency’s web site at www.eeoc.gov.

Source: http://www.eeoc.gov/press/5-30-06.html

Notice that Ms. Nur is a Somali citizen, not an American. She still won the case. But I sincerely hope you don't need to go to court, since it took more than five years for a decision to be issued by the judge.

You can also click on the following link to read about this case:

http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2007/August/20070806141303ajesrom0.6975214.html

Could this precedent [i.e, the ruling in this case EEOC v Alamo Rent -A-Car, LLC] be used? The Federal District Court is only a court of First Instance, meaning that this decision could have been overruled by the U.S. Court of Appeals.

Helms Mullis Wicker is a Law firm in the State of North Carolina. Ms. Makila Sands is an attorney there. She wrote an article on February 14, 2008 entitled "CROSSED: WHEN RELIGION AND DRESS CODE POLICIES INTERSECT". The following is under the section "Illustrative cases":

EEOC v. Alamo Rent-A-Car

In EEOC v. Alamo Rent-A-Car, the EEOC brought suit against Alamo Rent-A-Car (“Alamo”) on behalf of Bilan Nur, a Muslim woman. Ms. Nur was employed as a rental agent at one of Alamo’s agencies in Phoenix, Arizona. Alamo had a “Dress Smart Policy” that expressly prohibited employees from wearing certain types of clothing and accessories, but did not specifically prohibit the wearing of head coverings. The policy, however, contained a clause prohibiting the wearing of any “garment or item of outer clothing not specifically mentioned in this policy.”

In November 2001, Ms. Nur requested an accommodation to wear a hijab, or head scarf, during Ramadan, the Islamic holy month. Ms. Nur was told that she could wear a head covering in the back of the office but not at the front counter where she would be interacting with customers.

Ms. Nur violated Alamo’s policy several times by coming to work wearing a hijab and refusing to remove it while working at the front counter. Ms. Nur was then terminated for repeated violation of Alamo’s dress code policy.

In ruling in favor of the EEOC on summary judgment, the district court held that Alamo failed to demonstrate that it took any steps to accommodate Ms. Nur’s request, and did not provide any proof that it entered into communications with Ms. Nur in an effort to explore potential reasonable accommodations. At trial in June 2007, a jury awarded $287,640 to Ms. Nur in back wages, compensatory damages and punitive damages.

Source: http://www.hmw.com/workcite/20080214.htm

This article was written [or posted on] February 14, 2008 [i.e., less than two months from today]. It's unlikely [though not impossible] than any major ruling was issued that changed the principle set in EEOC v. Alamo Rent-A-Car. Lawyers tend to make sure that the cases they cite are up-to-date and than the principle the case demonstrates has not been overruled by a higher court.

Still, it's much better [after the letter to the Walmart manager fails] to seek professional help from a lawyer. Maybe even the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) can help you. They certainly helped Ms. Nur in the case mentioned above.

Regards,

Bluegazer