In what Circumstances is lying allowed? :confused:

arabiantxn

In what Circumstances is lying allowed?:confused:

Can one lie saying that I was not praying?:confused:
Can one lie to protect some one?
Can one lie to take blame or help some one in a good way?
Can one lie to hide my identity?
Can one lie to hide something to make other feel comfortable?

i know lying is not allowed and i try my best not to lie but sometimes I do so if it will cause good .

Ayep

:salam2: brother

i know lying is not allowed and i try my best not to lie but sometimes I do so if it will cause good .

Hopefully the explaination below will clear up your confusion. :inshallah:

Is it permissible to swear a false oath in order to reconcile between two disputing parties?

Question:
Is it permissible to swear a false oath in order to reconcile between two disputing parties?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle for the Muslim is to be honest and truthful, and he should not speak anything but the truth, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Fear Allaah, and be with those who are true (in words and deeds)”

[al-Tawbah 9:119]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I urge you to be truthful, for “Truthfulness leads to righteousness and righteousness leads to Paradise. A man will keep speaking the truth and striving to speak the truth until he will be recorded with Allaah as a siddeeq (speaker of the truth). Lying leads to immorality and immorality leads to Hellfire. A man will keep telling lies and striving to tell lies until he is recorded with Allaah as a liar.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5743; Muslim, 2607, from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him).

Reconciling between people is an important issue in Islam, one which brings a great deal of reward. There is also a stern warning against sewing discord between people. Because of the importance of reconciling people in the Muslim society and the seriousness of discord and conflict, Allaah has permitted lying in order to reconcile between people and to remove discord and conflict which may have negative consequences for the religious commitment of individuals and communities.

It was narrated from Abu’l-Darda’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Shall I not tell you of something that is better than fasting, prayer and charity?” They said: Yes. He said: “Reconciling between two people, for discord between people is the shaver.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, who said: this is a hasan hadeeth. And it is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It is the shaver, and I do not say that it shaves hair, rather that it shaves religious commitment.” End quote.

Whomsoever Allaah honours and enables him to reconcile between Muslims, if he needs to tell lies in order to reconcile between them, there is no sin on him for that, and it is not permissible to describe him as a liar, because the matter is serious; it is the matter of shar’i interests which means that in this case, lying is permissible, as it is narrated in al-Saheehayn from the hadeeth of Umm Kalthoom bint ‘Uqbah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “He is not a liar who reconciles between people, conveying good messages and saying good things.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2546; Muslim, 2605

As for swearing false oaths in order to reconcile between people, it seems that this is permissible.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

What is prescribed for the believers is to use oaths sparingly, even if they are true, because swearing oaths a great deal may cause him to end up lying, and it is known that lying is haraam, and if a lie is accompanied by an oath, it is even more haraam. But if necessity or shar’i interests dictate that a false oath be sworn, there is no sin in that, because it is proven in the hadeeth of Umm Kalthoom bint ‘Uqbah ibn Abi Mu’eet (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He is not a liar who reconciles between people, conveying good messages and saying good things.” She said: I did not hear him grant any concession concerning anything that the people say of lies except in three cases: reconciling between people, war, and what a man says to his wife, or a woman says to her husband. Narrate by Muslim in al-Saheeh.

If a person says in order to reconcile between people, “By Allaah, your companions want to reconcile, they want to come to an agreement, they want such and such,” then he goes to the others and says something similar, with good intentions and aiming to bring about a reconciliation, there is no sin in that, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

Similarly, if he sees someone who wants to kill another person unlawfully, or to wrong him in some other way, and he says, “By Allaah he is my brother,” in order to rid him of this wrongdoer who wants to kill him unlawfully or beat him unlawfully, because he knows that if he says that he is his brother, he will leave him alone out of respect for him, then he has to say such a thing in the interests of saving his brother from injustice and wrongdoing.

To conclude: the basic principle concerning false oaths is that they are haraam, except in cases where they will serve a greater purpose than lying, as in the three cases mentioned in the hadeeth quoted above.

End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 1/54.

Islam Q&A

Allah knows best

Believe2Succeed

Conditions of lies being allowed:
1. IF someone is faced with the threat of life, they can lie about being muslim.
(as in prisoners of war or terror or captivity from a non-muslim tyrant)
2. Lying (exaggeration) to join hearts of two muslims -
3. Speaking in a way that the comment might have multiple meanings. (Termed as tawri'ya). This is however tricky and can easily lead to lying which is not allowed. E.g. A person might say they did not do something by not answering the question directly. A british soldier in undivided INDIA asked a shaikh who they were searching for, whether he has seen the person. Since the soldier did not recognize the shaikh he did not know if it was him. So the shaikh replied after stepping back a step or two and pointing to the spot where he was "oh he was there a moment ago"...so the soldiers left.
Or it is reported that when Prophet Muhammad SAW had to leave makkah at the time of hijrah during the night, he was moving on foot with abu bakr RA. A man stopped Abu Bakr RA, point to the back of the prophet SAW as was moving away, "who are you and who is that man?'' Abu Bakr RA replied, I am Abdullah and he is my "ra'ee" or shepherd meaning the one who will show the way...(which is true as the messenger of Allah SAW is everyones Ra'ee)
So these are examples of Tawri'ya.

Clear as mud? :)
PM me if you have specific questions
JAK

ASAK

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
Try not to lie

salams

If you ask me. The biggest lie you can commit is denying you are a muslim(Submitter of god). For if you are weak to not bare who you are then were does your strength lie in being a muslim. LIke I have once said, man should not fear the inevitable. If someone wants to kill you because you beleive in God who will be rewarded? By all means be proud on that respect.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

May Allah (SWT) reward you for your strength & conviction & increase it many folds.

However there are many “mere mortals” out there who will be unable to take the “Extra-Ordinary Rendition” awarded to them by authorities around the world so the option as described by brothers is a dignified way out for them & All Praise be to Allah (SWT) who sent his Rasool (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) with complete guidance for all occasions till the day of Judgement.

Younus

:salam2:

Nothing related to topic, but I just felt like sharing this -

Half truth is whole lie.

Allah knows best.

Noor to shine

An example

I shall give an example inshAllah : If you want to mend a relation between two persons (for example a husband and a wife ) then if you hear some of them tell something bad about the other ....and you go to the other who asks : did he/she said something wrong about me?? : IT IS NOT A LIE TO SAY NO. One should do his best in this matter.

Umm3mar

Salam

Let us all do our best to avoid lying.
Remember, and ask ourselves, which is worse? The punishment in the hereafter for telling a lie, or the temporary uncomfort of this world by telling the truth?

I think that most times rather than fabricating a lie, keeping silent would avoid the problem.

Any good is from Allah Subhana wa'ta'Allah.
Any error is completely my own.

arabiantxn

The reason why i asked these set of questions is because i thought it would help me make better judgements.
i also added these comments so that one can understand my point of view

The reason why i asked this question is because I don't want to tell people that I am /was praying when they called my name because I think my prayers are between me and my Allah and I don’t want to people to know about it

The reason for question 2 is because sometimes at work and at home I find my self in a position where I can take the blame and get in less trouble them others.

I come from a culture were family (name) is more important unfortunately.

Ayep

:salam2: bro,

From my understanding from the my previous post from Islam Q&A:
If your life is in danger or all the odds against you, I guess it is better to save yourself first so you can practice Islam more freely.

Lying is disallowed, however in extreme conditions where your life or another person is in danger, it is an obligation to save a life first. That's the priority.

However using lies becomes a bad habit once it works for us. It does not help that the Syaitan is constantly whispering in our hearts to do it where there are tough problems to settle.

So use the Quran and Hadith as a guide and them your wisdom to overcome your problem.

Allah knows best