Incidents from the lives of our Elders

mohammadyunus

Maulana Qasim Nanotwi

Maulana Nanotwi was a very handsome person.Through the pressure of his elders, a nawab was able to get his daughter married to Maulana Nanotwi. Once married, the bride came with 30 luggages full of gold jewelry. On the wedding night, Maulana Nanotwi said to his wife, "Social equality is very important between husband and wife. At this age, I can't become rich like you and your father, but there's another way. You can become a faqeerni (poor) like me."

So his wife replied "Let's keep the clothes, and give away all the jewelry"

Maulana Nanotwi was very glad to hear this. Right away, in the middle of the night, he went to Darul Uloom Deoband and he woke up the munshi (accountant). And he told him that a traveller was passing and Allah placed mercy in his heart, so the traveller decided to give some wealth to the madrasa. The Munshi was greatly surprised at the amount. Maulana Nanotwi made the munshi prepare a receipt for the amount in the name of “a musafir” or so. Then he hurriedly left saying, let me go and give this to the musafir quickly before he leaves. All this so that no one would think that Maulana Nanotwi himself had given all of this from his own household.

Mufti Zar Wali says ‘Since that day, Darul Uloom Deoband has not seen any ghurbat and faqr (poverty)

mohammadyunus

Wisdom of Sultan Alamgir Aurangzeb

The incident belongs to the times of Sultan Alamgir . That during the times of Alamgir (rah), Ulema dwelt in such rank misery that there was none to look after them. being an Alim himself, Alamgir (rah) knew the greatness of ahl-e- ilm. He did not publish any sermon in newspapers calling people to care for the Ulema..

Instead he devised this strategy that when the time for salah approached, he said that today he desires that such a governor of a state who is the Nawab of Deccan should perform his wudhu. The governor of Deccan after sending seven salutations expressed his joy saying it was indeed such a great honour that the emperor ordered him to perform his wudhu.. he understood this as a token that he was about to receive a Jagir.. that the emperor seems very pleased..
Nawab sahab was quick to fill the jug of water and was about to make wudhu…

Alamgir (rah) asked him about the Faraiz of wudhu,.. now if only did Nawab sahab make wudhu even once in his entire life would he knew.. he was taken a back..! what shall he answer.. asked him how many wajibaat does it have ..? and he knew nothing about.. asked him how many Sunnah of wudhu..? there was no answer..

Alamgir (rah) said it is very sad that you govern a hundred thousand people .. rule over a hundred thousand necks.. and your name being Muslim… that you don’t even know the faraiz..wujoob and sunnah of Wudhu.. Iam hopeful that henceforth I shall not see such a face again..

And he treated another one such that in the month of Ramadhan he said: “Today you shall join me at iftar...” to which he replied: “your highness this is such a great honour…else how can this faqeer be so fortunate enough to be remembered by the emperor..”.

At the time of iftar he asked him : “Tell me.. Mufsidaat sawm.. due to which a sawm becomes fasid… How many are they..?”

Incidently, he never even once fasted.. never knew what the breachers of fast are in the first place .. and he kept quite.. what could he answer..!

Alamgir (rah) said that it was very shameful that you are known as a governor.. Ameer.. and Nawab.. that thousands of people follow your orders.. being a Muslim... a ruler.. and you don’t even know what are the actions that breach a fast..?!

Similarly, he asked someone on the masa’il of zakat.. and he dint receive an answer, to another he asked about Hajj and so on.. .. such that everyone failed to answer. Alamgir (rah) reprimanded each one that it should not be repeated again..

Now when these governors returned back, they felt the dire need to learn the masail and a search for Ulema began… the Ulema now began to raise their demands... Some pressed for Five hundred rupees as salary... And they were pampered saying ‘ Huzoor ..! we shall readily pay you a thousand..’. ofcourse they would not risk losing the Jagirs. Even then the Ulema were not available and a nation wide search was on. Even those students still pursuing studies of deen were hired on huge salaries.. and thus all these governors and ruling class became aware of the masail of deen and they turned towards practicing on deen..

Source:
Yadgar waqiat; P:144-145. compiled by Maulana Muhammed Is’haq Multani sahab.
A series of four Volume books titled Yadgaar Baaten, Yadgaar Mulaqaten, Yadgaar Waqiat and Yadgar Tehreeren.

mohammadyunus

The Incident of a Victorious General

The king of Afghanistan Ameer Dost Muhammed Khan sahab was a pious ruler... his religious discourses had set an example.. once while he entered the Royal courtyard a pall of gloom was evident on his face.. his wife inquired saying’ why do I see sorrow and greif on your face today..’ he replied saying he has just been informed of a very major incident due to which he is struck with worry and grief.. and that is Afghanistan was under seige by an enemy and I had dispatched our Prince with the army for battle...

‘ Today news have reached me from the border that our Prince has been defeated and he is retreating back home being chased by the enemy, who are conquering the lands one after the other in his pursuit… so I have been saddened with dual grief, one of the lands I have lost which shall cede to others.. and second that My Prince returned defeated from battle field displaying cowardice… and I have to carry this blot till the last breath of my life.. that My Prince was weak and a coward.. both these sorrows have gloomed my countenance ‘

Begum replied saying that these are all blatant lies and ‘you have been misinformed.. My Prince cannot return on his heels defeated... it could happen that he may have been martyred but that he turned his back on the enemy is just not possible.. these are nothing but lies..’

The king replied saying that this has been sourced from the Special Royal office... she said even the office lied... now the ruler said to himself... Who can explain to this woman...she refuses to understand.. neither is she aware of the government affairs nor the Royal offices or official documents.. that she deemed them all as liars.. she is only accustomed to sitting at home .. how can anyone reason with her.. and he went away..

The next day when he returned back.. with a face beaming with joy.. Begum asked him the reason why he looked so happy.. said that what you had told me yesterday infact turned out to be true..and the scene is such that the enemy was chased away by our prince and he is marching back as a hero, amidst the beating drums of victory.. and he has really chased them far away..

His wife replied saying Alhamdulillah god has made my words come true.. upon this the king asked her the reason for claiming with such firm conviction that her son did not return defeated.. that she received any ilham..

She replied saying ‘Im only a woman... What do I have to do with ilham.. and Iam a Royalty surrounded with all luxuries.. how could I ever become such a wali that I receive Ilhamaat from the Almighty..’ ‘Then how could you lay such a strong claim that all the news were false and they really turned out to be so… so what is this...’ asked the king.

Begum replied saying that it is a secret which she does not wish to disclose. Now the King was bent on knowing as what could be so secretive that should remain hidden even from the husband... ofcourse he remains the closest confidante.. so after much persuasion the wife finally agreed to spill out..

Said that ‘ When I was still carrying the prince in my womb.. I Pledged to Allah that I shall never eat even a single morsel which was doubtful...such that I never ever took even a single paisa from the Royal treasury.. nor from the allowance that was remitted to you.. I laboured myself in sewing caps... sold them...and survived on that income…so for nine months I observed with outmost Taqwa to use totally halal nourishment.. and when he was born, instead of giving him off to others to breastfeed, I myself suckled him.. and I continued the pledge for the next two years that nothing doubtful shall ever enter my gut..

so I continued to labour.. earning and eating from the income.. and also made a habit that whenever the baby cried for milk I would perform Wudhu.. pray two Rak’ats of Nafl make dua and then feed him.. when I would purify my exterior my inward also remained chaste with the pure earnings.. and I never ate anything doubtful.. so when he grew in my womb on such pure nourishment.. was raised up with such purity…how could he ever develop such disgraceful traits..

Source :Yadgaar Mulaqaten; P:468-469.

mohammadyunus

Hadhrat Maulana Mufti Rafi ‘Usmani دامت برکاتہم holding a speech at Jamiah Ashrafiya, Lahore:

During the prosperous era of Darul ‘Uloom Deoband there were not attached very big titles to the ‘Ulama’s names like nowadays. Today very big titles, for example ‘Allamah, Faqih al-’Asr, Wahid al-Dahr, Mufti-e-’Azam etc. and so on, get used but in those times these titles didn’t exist. In that time a scholar of Deen was called “Molvi Sahab” and the biggest scholar of Deen was called “big Molvi Sahab”. So, they were not called with more titles than that: They had knowledge, not titles. Today, knowledge has left and very big titles get joined with our names.

My respected father Hadhrat Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi’ Sahab رحمۃ اللہ علیہ used to say, for thirty years now our Deeni Madaris have been fruitless, because for thirty years our Madaris are not producing any “Molvis”. He said, “Many Maulanas are produced, but no Molvi. And what is a Molvi?”

علم مولی’ ہو جسے ہے مولوی
جسے حضرت مولوی معنوی

So, “Molvis” are actually called the friends of “Maula”, called the friends of Allah. Today friends of Allah are not produced. Listen to the condition of Darul ‘Uloom Deoband in those times:

My respected father رحمۃ اللہ علیہ used to tell, that hearing of Darul ‘Uloom Deoband’s reputation people came from very far places to Darul ‘Uloom. The visitors came with the wish to meet the big ‘Ulama. So, one person came to meet Hadhrat Shaykh al-Hind [Mahmud al-Hassan] Sahab نوراللہ مرقدہ and asked him, “You must be the big Molvi Sahab around here?” Hadhrat Shaykh al-Hind نوراللہ مرقدہ replied, “Not me, but the actual big Molvi Sahab is so-and-so Sahab.” Because in those times Hadhrat Shaykh al-Hind نوراللہ مرقدہ had been the biggest and the teachers of all, that’s why he was called “big Molvi Sahab” and the rest of the ‘Ulama were called “Molvi Sahab”. So, Hadhrat Shaykh al-Hind نوراللہ مرقدہ said that the real big Molvi Sahab was so-and-so and saying this he sent him to another elder. The person came to him and asked, “Are you the big Molvi Sahab?” This elder said as well, that it’s not me, the big Molvi Sahab is so-and-so. In this way he was send to the third ‘Alim. Purpose of the story is that no one was ready to accept to be the “big Molvi Sahab”.

Therefore, my respected father رحمۃ اللہ علیہ used to say, that as a result of that they were all big. Why? Because when noone of them was ready to accept himself as big, then definitely the promise of Rasulullah صلی اللہ علیہ و الہ وسلم gets fulfilled:

“Whosoever adopts Tawwadhu [humility] for the sake of Allah, Allah Ta’ala will honour him.”

That’s why they all were big. And today everyone of us says, that I am big. The result is that everyone became small.

When one asks someone today “Are you the big leader?”, “Are you the big teacher of this institute?” or “Are you the big scholar of these times?” Then in the answer he will adopt Riya [showing off] inside Tawwadhu, because the Shaytan of a Molvi is a Molvi himself. So, Shaytan tells him: “Don’t say ‘I’m the big one.’, because when you say that you’re the big one he might think you don’t have any Tawwadhu and if you don’t have any Tawwadhu you can not be a friend of Allah, in result of that he’ll not look up to you anymore. So, you should reply “I’m not a big scholar, but yes people say so.”" Which actually means I confirm to be a big scholar, but how can I say it with my own tounge. In this way he will adopt Riya inside of Tawwadhu and this is called Hubb-e-Jah. Summary is that when you look at the root of most of today’s mischief you’ll see two things, one is Hubb-e-Maal and one is Hubb-e-Jah. May Allah Ta’ala protect all of us from these two inner diseases. (Ameen!)

mohammadyunus

Hadhrat Maulana Shah Abrarul Haq Sahab (mudda zilluhu) writes,

One day I was sitting in the haram after Maghrib and two elderly men were sitting near me. At that time many people were performing tawâf. These two men suddenly began pointing out the faults of a few of these people because they were walking very fast etc.

I went towards them and after introductions were made, I asked the one how old he was. He replied that he was 55 years old. I asked him from what age was he performing salâh, to which he replied that he was performing salâh since he had matured at the age of 15. I then asked him to mention the sunnats of salâh. He only managed to say two or three. The other person wasn’t anymore successful than his companion.

Thereafter I told them that you people are exposing the faults of these people who are performing tawâf once in a lifetime. You are performing salâh for 40 years, but you are unaware of the sunnats of salâh. Thereupon they realised their error and desisted from this act.

mohammadyunus

Hadhrat Aqdas Mufti Mehmood Sahib (r.alaih) mentioned, "Hadhrat Madani (r.alaih) was invited to deliver a lecture in one area. Another party of that area held a gathering on the same date and invited Hadhrat Moulana Ilyaas Saheb (r.alaih) to gove a talk. Both saints agreed to attend and neither of them knew that a separate gathering was to be held there on the same day. Hence, both the Elders set off (for the particular place) on the appointed day.

When Moulana Muhammad Ilyaas Saheb (r.alaih) arrived, he came to know that Hadhrat Madani (r.alaih) was to give a talk in another part of town. He made the announcement that the Ijtima was cancelled because Hadhrat Moulana Husain Ahmed Madani Sahib (r.alaih) is to give a lecture at such and such a venue. All brothers should attend Hadhrat Madani’s lecture. Hadhrat Moulana Ilyas Sahed (r.alaih) himself proceeded on foot with the crowd to participate in the other gathering.

On the other side, Hadhrat Madani (r.alaih) arrived and came to know of the Ijtima. He addressed his gathering and told them, “Because there is an Ijtima today in another part of this town, wherein Moulana Muhammad Ilyaas Sahib (r.alaih) will be giving a bayaan, therefore this gathering is dismissed, all should participate in the Ijtima.” Hadhrat Madani (r.alaih) himself set off with the people to attend the Ijtima. Reaching the Ijtima, they found that it had been cancelled. The people from the Ijtima reached the Jalsa and found it to be cancelled also. Neither the Ijtima took place nor was the Jalsa held.

This is the divine words:
“They give preference to others over themselves”

[From the Discourses of Faqihul-Ummat Mufti Mahmood-Hasan Gangohi

mohammadyunus

Once Shaikh Ismaeel Shaheed rahmatullah alaih delivered a speech at the Jami' Masjid, Delhi, and spoke for about two hours.
After having delivered the speech, he was descending the steps of the masjid when someone came running to the masjid and asked him, if the speech of Shaikh Ismaeel was over. He replied, ' yes brother, it is over. '
He lamented over the news and said that he had come from very far to listen to him.
' From where have you come? ' asked the Shaikh.
The man gave the name of his village in reply and said, ' I had only come to listen to him. How sad that my effort is useless and his speech is over. '

The shaikh said, ' Don't worry, I am Ismaeel himself. ' he told te man to sit on the steps, sat with him, and said that he would repeat the speech for him. He repeated every word of the speech for him there on the steps.
Someone then remarked to him, ' How amazing, you repeated the entire speech for the sake of just one man. '

Shaikh Ismaeel Shaheed replied, ' I had delievered the first speech also for just One ( Allah) and i did it the second time for just One. The gathering had no reality. I had spoken for Allah the first time and i did it again for Him Alone. '

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
:salam2:

JazakAllah Khair bhai. Please keep sharing them. Alhamdulilah getting to learn to be a better human.

Peace.

mohammadyunus

Talha bin baraá was a young ansari sahabi. when nabi arrived madinah, he had such immense love for nabi (s.a.w), that he used to say "oh.. beloved nabi , my life sacrifice unto you, my wealth sacrifice unto you".
At a young age, he got ill. nabi came to visit him along with sahaba. nabi noticed that his end is near, and told the sahaba to inform him(s.a.w) incase he passes away. when he gained conciousness, sahaba told him, "how blessed are you, that nabi (s.a.w) came to visit you". He replied, listen, i may not be able to survive this illness. so, when i die, do not inform nabi (s.a.w) and bury me, as there is a qabila of jews between quba and madinah. They may inflict harm on beloved nabi(s.a.w) if he travels to see me. And after burying me, inform nabi (s.a.w) that,

Urdu quote
Aka se kehdena "ke talha ne salam arz kiya aur yeh kaha ke Allah (s.w.t) ke nabi, maut tho kabhi bhi aani thi, lekin gumraahi per marne ke bajai Allah ne aap per jaan deney ki taufeeq di" aur sarey kabile ko suna dena ke haq ki mehnat pe lage raho aur jab tak tumhari eik aankh bhi chamakti rahi, agar Allah ke nabi ko dhakka lagega tho qayamat ke din tumhara uzr qubool nai kiya jayega.

"Talha has conveyed his salam to you and also dear nabi (s.a.w) of Allah, death was anyhow inevitable, one day or other, but instead of dying in ignorance, Allah (s.w.t) gave me the taufeeq to die in your cause."
And inform the people of our qabila, " to be stead fast in the effort of haq, and until one of your eye blinks if a little harm caused to nabi (s.a.w) then, none of your excuses will be accepted on the day of qiyamah. And thus he passed away.

mohammadyunus

Bravery of Mawlana Husain Ahmed Madani

Mawlana Husain was called to the court and the British judge asked him, "Did you give the fatwa that it is forbidden to work for the British army, to help them, and to allow the British government to continue ruling [the Indian subcontinent]"

Mawlana replied, "I said it, I am saying it, and I will continue saying it"

The judge said, "We have had great difficulty in finding proof of this, and it wasn't proven properly. Are you admitting it?"

Mawlana replied, "I admitted, I am admitting, and I will continue admitting it. Why are the British here? This is Hindustan, the hindustani people have the right over it. Go back to Britain."

The judge said, "Do you know the punishment for this?"

Mawlana replied, "I know. When I was getting on the train from Darul Uloom Deoband, I tied my kafan (shroud) on my head. Announce your punishment. My record will be safe. Until the Day of Judgment, people will remember this. Allah will reward me for this."

mohammadyunus

Moulana Qaasim Saheb�s Name and Fame

It was the habit of Moulana [Qaasim Saheb Nanotwi] that he would prefer to remain anonymous in his travels. He would even forbid his associates to divulge his name. If someone had to ask him what his name was, he would reply: �Khurshid Husain�. His name from his date of birth read �Khurshid Husain�. [In other words, the numbers of his date of birth represented, as letters, the words �Khurshid Husain�. This is called the Abjad count and such a name is referred to as Taareekhi Naam which literally means �historical name�.] However, he was not known with this name and hence no one would realize that this was Moulana Muhammad Qaasim Saheb.

And if someone had to enquire about his hometown, he would reply: �Ilahabad�. He would not take the name of Nanota. Some associates would say: �Hazrat! How is Ilahabad your hometown?� In other words, it was fictitious. He would reply: �Nanota is also a town populated by Allah. Thus, literally every town is Ilahabad.� In other words, this is not fictitious; it is open to two interpretations.

Regardless of such care to conceal himself he, still, would not remain hidden. Allah Ta�ala would make him shine out. The honour of the illustrious Ahlullah is so great that they are not in need of external paraphernalia of fame and glory. External paraphernalia are adopted by those who do not have true glory. They resort to external means and agencies to get name and fame.

mohammadyunus

Hadrat Shah Abdul Aziz [rh] had a student who was a very pious and beautiful young man. A woman with bad intentions in her heart would see him walking to the madrasa, and one day solicited an elderly lady to call him to the house. The elderly woman approached the young man and said that a sick person inside the house needed supplication, and, being very simple, the young man readily went inside.

Once inside, the woman of the house locked all the doors and windows and said,

"I have been watching you for some time and have wanted you. Now we have privacy and can do what our hearts desire."

The young man realized that this woman was inviting him towards sin and started thinking of a way out. He said that he first needed to use the latrine and the lady let him go. Once inside the latrine, he covered his limbs and clothes with feces present therein in the hopes that she think him a madman. He rubbed the filth all over himself until he could not stand the smell and came out.

The woman was taken aback and disgusted and took him to be mad just as the young man had hoped. She hurriedly told him to leave.

The young man had never been late for class, and did not want to start now, but he was also filthy. He ran to madrasa, where he quickly went to the washroom, proceeded to shower and wash his clothes. With no time for his clothes to dry, he came out dripping wet and sat in the back as class began.

Hadrat Shah Abdul Aziz [rh] taught for a little while but finally stopped because he was clearly distracted. He said,

"One of you has such a strong fragrance that I cannot concentrate. Who is it?"

All the students looked around and finally one of them pointed to the newcomer who was dripping wet as the source of the fragrance.

Hadrat Shah Abdul Aziz [rh] called him forward and said, ''Why are you wearing such a strong fragrance?"

The young man shied away from relating his story but finally did with tears in his eyes because Hadrat Shah [rh] was getting angry at his evasiveness. By the grace of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, the very limbs the young man had covered in filth to try and protect his faith now emanated with the strong fragrance of musk.

For the remainder of his life this young man was known as Shaykh Mushki, because he smelled of musk.

mohammadyunus

The Following is taken from Ma'arif Mathnavi , A commentary of the Mathnavi of Hazrat Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi By Arif Billah Hazrat Maulana Hakeem Muhammed Akhtar Saheb db , Translated into English by Maulana Yousuf karan sahab db of cape Town, South Africa.

The story of Promising to do something Tomorrow

A certain man planted a thorn-tree in the path where people walked. As it grew bigger and stronger, the thorns started injuring those walking past.

The people started blaming the planter but it had no effect on him, except that he promised everytime that the following day he was going to remove the tree from the path. However, nothing was done about the tree. At last the matter reached the governor of that place.

The governor too ordered him to uproot the tree. The planter promised the governor that he would do so the following day, but again he failed to carry out his promise. The result was that the tree grew until it became very strong and sturdy, with its roots going very deep in the ground.

Now he was unable to uproot the Thorn-tree at all.

“The bad tree grew into a strong young tree
While the planter became old and weak.

The thorn tree was everyday becoming healthier
And the up-rooter was becoming daily weaker.

O listener, very often you have become grief-stricken over your evil deeds
And very often your evil deeds brought you regret and the desire to repent.

So often you have become helpless at the hands of your evil deeds and devastated..
Have you become senseless? You have become senseless to an overwhelming degree..

O you senseless one, arise and rectify your previous bad habits
Rise, take up an axe and attack like a man..
Like Hazrat Ali who uprooted the gate of khaybar”

Lesson:

In this story Maulana gives the advice that a seeker of truth and seeker after Allah should should never put off for tomorrow the rectification of evil deeds and habits. Never should they say:
“I will rectify and change my habits tomorrow” and when tomorrow comes along, then again say the same.

In this way, shaytan causes that promise of tomorrow to continue, until the time of death arrives. Then the intender will enter the grave without rectification and disappointed. Shaytan will rejoice.

Just as the thorny tree which was planted, could in the end not be uprooted by the planter, in the same way, the longer a person takes to discard or rectify bad habits, those bad habits will become stronger at the roots.

As the days and nights pass by you will become older and weaker which will make the discarding and rectification of evil habits very difficult.

For this reason, rise up without any delay and procrastination. Grab an axe of courage and uproot the door of evils, just like Hazrat Ali was granted great help being in the company of Rasulullah , you should join forces with the saints of Allah, the friends of Rasulullah . Through their company, acquire the help and bounty of Allah.

Hazrat Maulana Thanwi says:

“Even these days no position of Wilayat (sainthood) is open and unoccupied; whether it is the rank of Qutub, Ghowth or Abdaal. All these ranks even today are filled”.

These saints, who in your sight are looked upon as being of wretched condition and are considered worthless, after a hundred years of history they will be looked upon as Junaid, Rumi, Attar and Shibli (Rahmatullahi alaihi ajmaen) of this age.

It is foolish to argue like this: “where do you find saintly men today like those in the past?”

This is a shaytani deception which wishes to keep us deprived of the blessings of these men. Do we find anyone complaining today that for physical ailments: “where do we find a Jalinoos or a Socrates or a plato? No, we go to the present day doctors for treatment.”

Similarly, in the event of spiritual or internal illnesses and for their rectification, we should contact the present day followers of sunnah who have been granted permission by the elders to initiate others into an oath of allegiance (Bay’at). We should consult them and start our self-rectification.

Neither should we delay rectification until the oath of Bay’at because Bay’at is sunnat ghair muakkada, while the idea of rectification of the self is an obligatory duty.

However, after starting the process of rectification, if one finds himself agreeable to it, he should also enter into ‘Bay’at’ considering it sunnah because through ‘Bay’at’ a special connection is formed which increases the benefit.

mohammadyunus

Omar(ra) went out one night. He found a woman inside her house with her two children crying around. A cooking pot on fire was full ofwater. He came closer to the door. He said: "0, Creature of Allah! Why are those children crying?"
She said: "They are crying of hunger!"
He said: "What is this pot which is on fireplace? "
She replied:" I put water in it in order to make them think it is food and they might keep silent till they sleep. I want to fool them that it contains flour and butter."
Omar(ra) sat down and cried. Then he went to the House of Sadaqa (Alms) and took a big sack in which he put flour, butter, fat, dates, clothes and money. Then told Aslam, his servant, to help him carry it to the woman on his own back. Aslam said: "0, Commander of Believers! Let me carry it."
Omar(ra) said: "No Aslam! No! I carry it because I am responsible on the Day of Judgement."
Omar(ra) carried the sack on his back to the house of the woman and put some flour, fat and dates in the cooking pot. He kept on moving it on fire and blowing wind under it. His beard was long and smoke was going through it. He, then, cooked for children and began to feel them by his hands till they felt full and satisfied. Afterwards, he stayed with them till they played and laughed.
He said: "Do you know Aslam why I stayed with them",
Aslam said: "No! 0, Commander of Believers".
He said: "I saw them crying and I hated to go and let them before I see them laughing. And when they laughed I felt satisfied".

(This is only one famous story about Omar's(ra) visit, to people in order to know their conditions.)

- - - Updated - - -

Hadhrat Umar weeps at the Mention of Jannah

In the chapter discussing the abstinence of Hadhrat Umar the narration has already passed which mentions that
when served a good meal, Hadhrat Umar said, ''While we eat this, what will the poor Muslims have who die without filling themselves with even barley bread?"
Hadhrat Umar bin Waleed replied, "They shall have Jannah."
Tears then started to flow from the eyes of Hadhrat Umar he said, "If this (food) is our share while they have made off with Jannah, then they have certainly excelled us with a tremendous virtue."