Question: Is becoming an astrophysicist/astronomer acceptable in Islam?

Koopa39

Assalamu Alaykum,

Is becoming an astrophysicist/astronomer acceptable in Islam?

It would only consist of research in astrophysics/astronomy. It would not involve teaching, nor would it involve working in planetariums and science museums.

The job of astrophysicist/astronomer consists in:
- Programming, writing computer code to analyze observational data or to make models/simulations of phenomena.
- Writing scientific research papers that may be published in scholarly journals.
- Writing many emails.
- Filling out paperwork to get funding for our projects.
- Traveling very frequently to many countries to present our research findings at scientific conferences and lectures, and to meet other astrophysicists/astronomers.
- Traveling frequently to many remote parts of the world (on top of mountains) to make observations with optical or radio telescopes.

Note that “astrophysics” and “astronomy” are the same thing. But they must not be confused with “astrology” which is something totally different.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

There is no reason for it to be haram or wrong. It's just science, and personally I am fascinated by it.Many of the historical astronomers were Muslims and a lot of stars have Arabic names and are named by Muslim astronomers.

Abu Juwairiya

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

There is no reason for it to be haram or wrong. It's just science, and personally I am fascinated by it.Many of the historical astronomers were Muslims and a lot of stars have Arabic names and are named by Muslim astronomers.

I am inclined to agree with Brother Mabsoot. I would also go on to add it might be beneficial and useful to for those Muslims with the ability, intelligence and foresight to become astrophysicists. That way Muslims can make help create a resurgence of Islamic science and generate a lively interest, discussion/s in the world and universe around us from an Islamic perspective. In the same way, Muslim scientists can also help defend Islam from those opposed to religion in general.

As the original author correctly said, there is a difference with astrophysics and astrology. Astrophysics is halal while astrology is haram.