is it haram...?

habibafatima

daughter of islam
somebody told me that "Papsi" and "colgate toothpaste" contain some haram ingrediets.is it true or not?plz tell me!!!

M

Moadeeb

Salam alaikom,

This fatwa might help

"Some soft drinks contain a tiny amount of alcohol which help add flavors that are considered part of what is known as the trade secrets. According to the rules of eating and drinking in the Islamic legal law, such tiny amount of alcohol that is added doesn’t render the food or the soft drink prohibited.

In an attempt to answer your question, we would like to furnish you with a Fatwa issued by the Fiqh Council of North America, which goes as follows:

It is well known that some soft drinks, such as Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, contain among their ingredients a tiny amount of alcohol, which is used to dissolve some constituents of the drinks such as color, flavor, etc.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola, for example, contain different types of flavors, considered to be part of the trade secrets; these flavors dissolve in alcohol, which is no more than two to three parts in one thousand (0.03-0.02 %) in these drinks.

Such soft drinks are considered to be permissible or halal from the Islamic point of view, according to the rules of eating and drinking in the Islamic legal law.

To anchor this basic concept, we would like to say that if a small amount of a prohibited substance X is mixed with a dominant permissible substance Y till substance X loses all its attributes such as taste, color, and smell, substance X loses the qualifications of being impure and prohibited by having being dissolved in substance Y.

This conclusion is supported by a ruling by Imam Ibn Taymmiah in his book Al-Fatawa (21/502), and by the recommendations of the Ninth Medical Fiqh Seminar of the Islamic Medical Science Organization, which met in Ad-Dar Al-Bayda’ in Morocco in June 1997.

Moreover, The Islamic Food and Nutrition Council of America adds:

In the food industry, alcohol is the second common solvent after water. Some of the flavors like vanilla cannot be made without alcohol. One cannot imagine foods and drinks like ice cream, cakes and cookies, soft drinks, etc. without the use of alcohol, to the extent that this has become an unavoidable impurity in the food systems. Muslim countries, which import food products, accept foods containing small quantities of alcohol.

We have established two levels of control points for
alcohol in foods and ingredients:

Less than 0.1 per cent in the food items.
Less than 0.5 per cent in food ingredients.

At the above levels, one can not detect the presence of alcohol by taste, smell or sight.

These guidelines are for the food industry to make halal certified products. However, where should one draw the line is up to the individual Muslim consumer, based on "the available knowledge and his or her own commitment.

The above quotation is excerpted, with slight modifications, from www.fiqhcouncil.org"

From

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545260

Salam

Moadeeb

manOfpeace

Now i get

:salam2:
sometimes when i drink Coca-cola or Pepsi i can't sleep at all.......... now no more Coca or Pepsi

:wasalam:

MUHAMM7D

Muslim

musim_4_life, what do you mean no more pepsi or Coca-cola?, they are permissible as stated in the Fatwa.

lions_den1

Ahle Sunnah wal Jama
refrain from asking...

The understanding that i have recieved from scholars is this -

Sometimes its better for brothers and sister to refrain from asking these sort of questions- because they are not things known by necesity in Islam (Things that are not clear-cut and not general knowledge- known to the muslim community).

And anything that is not know by necesity- we are not held accountable for if we do they without knowing.

eg. Drinking Alcohol is haram and it is know by necesity because every muslim and many non muslims know it is forbidden to drink. So we can't accept the excuse off a person that they didn't know alcohol was forbidden.

But as for the tiny fraction of alcohol that might or might not be present in soft drinks- this is not known to the general community. There is no punishment for unkowingly drinking or eating something that's might be haram...

The other issue with soft drinks is that you have to varify what type of alcohol they use. There are hundrends of different alcohols in chemisty but we know the one that was forbidden by text (Quran and Sunnah) is the ethanol that is produced by fermenting fruits or other thing with the intention of producing an intoxicating drink.

eg. Alcohol made from fermented grapes (wine) is not the same as manufactured methanol (used for thinning paint- white spirit). Drinking ethanol intoxicates but drinking methanol will kill you!!

So these are something muslims should think about before declaring something haram, or pledging not drink or eat something.

ps. I don't know in the US but in the UK my brother checked out the presence of alcohol in Pepsi products and they have confirmed that they do not use alcohol neither in their ingredients nor their cleaning process.

Allah Knows Best

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
As tought by Rasulullah (saw), if you have a doubt in anything, do not do it at all... Simple as that!

May God give us the strength and imaan so that we may perform all our daily tasks in a halal way. Ameen.

Wasalaam.

M

Moadeeb

Guys,

Lets think about it, if we pour a drop of alcohol in a lake, would that make it prohibited to drink from? Think about it but I don't think it would according to the fatwa.

Salam

Moadeeb