Is vinegar halal?

Storm

SiStEr
I read a hadith which said that if vinegar is made out of wine then it is haram. Cud sumbody guide me?

muharram23

Staff member
I read a hadith which said that if vinegar is made out of wine then it is haram. Cud sumbody guide me?

salamu alaykum

most of these things have already been dealt with on the forum. Have u done search?

assalamu alaykum

islam4lyf

Happy 2 b a muslim!!
All products containing wine are forbidden (Haraam) and must be avoided. (SANHA)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

but not all vinegars have wine so you can still use it as it is a sunnah to have vinegar it was the prophet (saw) favourite curry.

Storm

SiStEr
salamu alaykum

can u show me the hadeeth?

assalamu alaykum

by the way, vinegar is halal

I read this book, "The way of the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) by Sheikh Muhammad Sadiq. Here's the hadith:-
"When someone asked the Prophet (pbuh) whether to make vinegar of wine he forbade it, saying 'Never do so'." (Muslim)

muharram23

Staff member
I read this book, "The way of the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) by Sheikh Muhammad Sadiq. Here's the hadith:-
"When someone asked the Prophet (pbuh) whether to make vinegar of wine he forbade it, saying 'Never do so'." (Muslim)

salamu alaykum

akhi, shaykh al-albani mentioned about the vinegar made out of wine this,

"Another proof from the Sunnah: The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) forbade making vinegar out of wine, but he said that if you should come across vinegar that has been made from wine then it is halaal. "

please visit this section on TTI posted by one of our brothers

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4278&highlight=gelatin+halal

assalamu alaykum

Jazakallahu khairen for the hadeeth

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Ruling on vinegar made from wine

Question:
Are wine and spirit vinegar halal? Considering all vinegar is made from oxidising a form of alcohol and that normal vinegar is supposed to be halal?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Vinegar is a well known basic foodstuff, made from wine of which the composition has changed so that it is no longer sweet but is acidic or sour.

Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What a good food is vinegar.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1623)

When wine turns to vinegar by itself, without any deliberate treatment needed for it to be changed, it is permissible to eat, drink and handle it, according to the consensus of the scholars, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

But if the wine has become vinegar because of deliberate treatment, by adding vinegar, onions, salt etc., or by any other process, in this case the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differ as to whether it is permissible.

The Shafi’is, Hanbalis and some of the Maalikis say that it is not permissible to deliberately change wine to vinegar because then it is not pure. The evidence (daleel) for this is the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked whether wine could be changed to be used as vinegar. He said, ‘No.’” (Reported by Muslim).

Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about some orphans who had inherited some wine. He said, “Pour it away.” He was asked, “Could they not make it into vinegar?” He said, “No.” (Reported by Muslim).

The reason for this is:

Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, has commanded us to avoid wine. Keeping it and treating it until it turns into vinegar means handling it and being involved with it by storing it and benefitting from it, and this is not permitted.

It is permitted for a Muslim to buy vinegar from someone who is selling it, unless he realizes or comes to know that it was produced by means of a deliberate process. ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “… There is nothing wrong with a man buying vinegar from the people of the Book, if they sell it, so long as he knows that they did not deliberately process it from wine.” (Al-Mughni, 8/330)

And Allaah knows best.

ScotsMuslim

Live for Allah and His Rasool (saw)
im sure i read somewhere that vinegar was one of the Prophet Muhammad (peace, love and blessings of Allah the Almighty be upon him) favourite foods :S

aNiSa 76

I'M NOT REALLY SURE

Most people think vinegar is halal but in some types of vinegar it is more likely to be haram than halal. So buy stuff that have a V sign on it , so it is defintly not haram.May Allah(s.w.t) reward you for making this quote.

zak125

Is Vinegar Halal

AOA

I am astonished by the depth at which this issue has been discussed without any reference to the word "Al-Khumar" which is used in Quran and in my understanding relates to a state of mind (hi or drunkenness).

There are two common ways of making vinegar. The natural good old fermentation (natural) or by synthesis (acetic acid in water).

Nothing exist in the universe without the wisdom of Allah and without a purpose which which sometimes we don't kanow.

Alcohol is an Arab/Muslim invention produced by distillation of fermented matter like wines and as are the Whiskey, Vodka and Brandy. Is Alcohol haram? Even if it is to be used for medicinal purposes as in Cough medicines, cleaning wounds or as in nail polish & removers. Sure it gets absorbed in user's body.

I would have thought that Alcohol if drunk or inhaled to such an extent that it caused a state of AL-Khumar, it would be Haram and other uses would be halal.

Allah Hafiz,

Zakria

ScotsMuslim

Live for Allah and His Rasool (saw)
AOA

I am astonished by the depth at which this issue has been discussed without any reference to the word "Al-Khumar" which is used in Quran and in my understanding relates to a state of mind (hi or drunkenness).

There are two common ways of making vinegar. The natural good old fermentation (natural) or by synthesis (acetic acid in water).

Nothing exist in the universe without the wisdom of Allah and without a purpose which which sometimes we don't kanow.

Alcohol is an Arab/Muslim invention produced by distillation of fermented matter like wines and as are the Whiskey, Vodka and Brandy. Is Alcohol haram? Even if it is to be used for medicinal purposes as in Cough medicines, cleaning wounds or as in nail polish & removers. Sure it gets absorbed in user's body.

I would have thought that Alcohol if drunk or inhaled to such an extent that it caused a state of AL-Khumar, it would be Haram and other uses would be halal.

Allah Hafiz,

Zakria

Asalamulaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu

brother what is AOA??

Storm

SiStEr
AOA

Allah Hafiz,

Zakria

The alcohol thats used in medicines and other syrups, is not the same alcohol. Dont confuse it with the one that is haram