Islam and the prophet Muhammed PBUH show us how to move away from anger and violence

Islam and the prophet Muhammed :saw: show us how to move away from anger and how to avoid violence

Intorduction

The aim and objective to read this post is to practice what you learn and follow the way shown by our beloved Prophet Muhammed :saw: and not to become angry.
As humans beings, we have our emotions. We react in either positive or negative emotions. Sometimes we may lose our logic and we cannot control our emotions. Hence, we behave in a strange way.
For those who lose control of their emotions and react negatively they have to be advised in advance what to do in such a situation.

Saying of Prophet Muhammed :saw: about anger

Allah's Messenger :saw: Said : a Muslim is never allowed to stay angry with his Muslim brother over three day's , because he who does that, then dies will go to hell (FIRE) . (This is reported by Abu Dawood) (Sahih Al-Jami').

The messenger of Allah ( Prophet Muhammad :saw: ) said about anger :
Anger is the effect of satan and satan was created from fire. And water extinguishes fire.
It is narrated in Bukhari that two people were arguing in the presence of Rasulullah :saw: One of the two became so angry that his face went red and his veins swelled. Rasulullah :saw: Lifted his face towards that person and said to him that I know a sentence if you were to say it your anger will go away.
The sentence is ( taa’wud ) : “I SEEK ALLAH'S PROTECTION FROM THE CURSED DEVIL"
The translation is as follows: A'udu bi Allah mina ashaytani arrajime.

'If a suggestion from satan assail thy (mind), seek refuge with Allah; for He heareth and knoweth (all things).'
Sourate N°7 The Elevated Place (al-a'rafe) Aya n°200

Our beloved Prophet :saw: gave us a prescription that makes us control our negative behavior. By using it, we will not show our anger and madness . Our blood pressure will stay normal. All what it takes is that a person has to read the following statement at the time of anger and wrath :
A'udu bi Allah mina ashaytani arrajime
"I SEEK REFUGE IN ALLAH FROM THE OUTCAST SHAITAN"

It has been narrated by Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him) That Allah's Messenger Muhammad :saw: Said:
The strong is not the one who over comes the people by his strength. But the strong is the one who controls him while in anger."
In another narration by Abu Huraira (May Allah be pleased with him man said to the Prophet Muhammad :saw: Advise me.
The Prophet Muhammad :saw: Said :
"Do not become angry
The man asked the same question again and again and the Prophet Muhammad :saw: Replied by in case by saying:
Do not become angry and furious

WHAT IS ANGER?

-Anger is "an emotional state that varies in intensity from mild irritation to intense fury and rage.
-Anger is a secret weapon of man towards of evils but sometimes its result’s in the destruction of many noble qualities. It snatches away the wisdom of man and thus he becomes a brute beast devoid of any sense.
-Anger is a temptation of Satan and deception of Satan
-Anger is the root of all evils.
-Anger is a spark of fire that are always bursting.
-Anger is a very bad condition that weakens the person Iman (FAITH)
-The meaning of anger is a rage fierce, displeasure, passion excited by a sense of wrong , physical pain, inflammation, mad, hot tempered, choleric, inflamed, A violent passion excited by real or supposed injury.
-Anger is the strong feeling caused by extreme displeasure.
-Anger is a strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure and hostility.
-Although anger is a natural emotion, a person may express it in a manner that could result in violence and destructive acts. In fact, as noted in the

Qur'an, Allah says:
"And when your Lord said to the angels, "I am creating successors on the earth." They said, "Will You create on it those who will spread corruption and spill blood, although we celebrate Your praise and extol Your Holiness?" He said," I know what you do not know."
(Qur'an Sourate N°2 The Cow (al-Baqqara), Aya n° 30)

Anger can be caused by both external and internal issues. You could be angry at a specific person (such as a co-worker or supervisor), or your anger could be caused by your personal problems, such as the remembrance of a disagreement with your spouse or parent. Anger itself isn't inherently bad. When appropriate, it can motivate you to deal with problems, or it can signal to others that their behavior is not acceptable. However, if minor issues - such as someone cutting in front of you in a queue - set you off, or if you're simmering in a constant state of rage, you may have to get your anger under control to pre-empt any violent or destructive outcomes.

Study your anger patterns

Anger responses can become habitual. That is, you may respond automatically to a situation that upsets you. How do you express your anger? Consider these questions in gauging your anger responses:
-Do you get angry more often than most people you know?
-Do you use threatening language or gestures?
-Do you get angry enough to hit, throw things or others?
-Do you stay angry for long periods of time (days or hours)?
-Do you conceal angry feelings from others or try to hold in your feelings?
-Do you use drugs to calm yourself down?
-Do you experience physical reactions such as muscle tension when angry?
-Do you get angry and then wonder why you got angry over such a trifle?

How people deal with anger

People use both conscious and unconscious processes to deal with their angry feelings. The three main approaches are expressing, suppressing, and calming. Expressing one's angry feelings in an assertive-not aggressive-manner is the healthiest way to express anger. Suppressing, however, is when you hold in your anger, but the danger is your anger can turn inward on yourself resulting in high blood pressure or hypertension. Calming means controlling both your outside responses (as in expressing) and your inside responses (as in suppressing) through lowering your heart rate and taking charge of your emotions.
It is important to note that sometimes, we take our emotions from work to our home or vice-versa, and as a result, escalate our anger to violence.

IS ANGER LAWFUL OR NOT ?

Anger is lawful in cases of religious affair's when its honours are at stake. It is an effective preventive measure to safeguard the dignity of man. A person who has no anger is called a coward because he has got no true faith in Allah. The person fears the creation and not the creator. This doesn't give the right for youngsters to become angry with parents when they don't get what they want.
If a person doesn't practice Islam, a person disobeys the command of Allah or a person doesn't listen to his parents then to become angry with such a person can be lawful. But the person shouldn't become too angry because in Islam extreme anger is unlawful because it creates opposition and bitterness.
It is undesirable for a pious man to lose his temper, due to jokes, frivolous talks, quarrels...

The real strength of a man lies in controlling his wrath. i.e. Anger.
Anger is unlawful because it destroys the faith of a man. Bah bin hakim (Allah be please with him) Reported that the messenger of Allah (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him). Said: Verily anger spoil's faith just as aloes spoils honey.
It is stated in Bukhari.:
"A person should be cautious from being angry."

THE VIRTUES OF CONTROLLING ONES ANGER.

The youngster today have forgotten the teaching of our Prophet Muhammed :saw: there become angry and furious for small reason like if their parent tell them to do something which they don't like. So the best person is one who controls him self in anger.
Today people are becoming angry because of the lifestyle and the society we live in. When a person is under stress he or she tends to become angry because the jobs not done or their children don't listen to them. There become angry and the anger is taken out on the child.
When a person becomes angry to their parent then that mean he's angry with Allah, Paradise lies between your parent . If you treat them and help them then Allah will reward you in this world and the hereafter. But if you displeased your parent
This means you are displeasing Allah then the person will be deprived from Allah's mercy. and the person will get punish in the hereafter.
The aim and objective of reading this is to practice what has been written and refine from becoming angry. To become angry for Islamic reason is permissible but it shouldn't cause anyone harm.
Women should control their anger because anger effects everyone. So anger is lawful for islamic reason and if ones hourner is at risk's. Other then this Anger is not permissible.
There are many virtues in Ahadeeth recarding a person who controls his anger. In Tabraani (A book of Hadeeth ). It is narrated that Rasulullah :saw: Said : Who ever controls there temper Allah will take away punishment from him and who so ever safe guard's his tongue Allah will conceal his sins.
In another Hadeeth which is narrated in (Tirmizi and Abu Dawood): Rasulullah :saw: said : Who ever controls their temper in a state that if he wanted he could have took revenge. Then On the day of judgement Allah will call him in front of everyone and will give him the choice of picking the Hoor of his choice.
But today youngsters have forgotten the world hear after and there are to indulge in this world that we have forgotten the command of Allah and the way shown by our beloved Prophet Muhammed :saw: so from now on we should change our lifestyle. And we should live our life according to the way shown by our beloved Prophet Muhammed :saw: because success in this world and the hereafter lies in the command of Allah and the way shown by our beloved Prophet Muhammad :saw: .
May Allah gives us the ability to practice upon this (Ameen ).

ANGER: TEN WAYS TO DEFEAT IT

1 - Seek refuge with Allah from the Devil (ANGER AND WRATH.) :

When someone is angry, mad, and reaches a state of having wrath against any person, he should make a special Du'a. In doing so he will cool down . It is reported that the Messenger of Allah said (narrated by Sulaiman Ibn Sard and reported by Bukhari and Muslim) that while Sulaiman was with the Prophet :saw:, two persons were blaming each other. The face of one became red and his jugular veins swelled. the Prophet :saw: said. I know a statement if he or she say's it then the person with anger will cool down.
The person with anger should say : "I SEEK REFUGE IN ALLAH FROM SATAN THE OUTCAST."

Sulayman bin Sard narrated:

"I was sitting with the Prophet, when two men began slandering one another. One of them was red in the face, and the veins on his neck were standing out. The Prophet said: "I know a word which, if he were to say it, what he feels would go away. If he said: "I seek refuge with Allah from the Devil," what he feels would go away.'"
['Fath al-Bari'; 6/337]

The Messenger of Allah said:

"If a man gets angry and says: "I seek refuge with Allah," his anger will go away."
['Sahih al-Jami'; # 695]

2 - Remain silent:

"If any of you becomes angry, let him keep silent."
['Sahih al-Jami'; # 693]

3 - Sit down or lie down:

"Abu Dharr was taking his camels to drink at a trough that he owned, when some other people came along and said to one another: "Who can compete with Abu Dharr in bringing animals to drink and make his hair stand on end?" A man said: "I can." So, he brought his animals and competed with Abu Dharr and ended up breaking the trough.Abu Dharr was standing when he saw this, so, he sat down, then he laid down. Someone asked him: "O Abu Dharr, why did you sit down then lie down?" He said: "The Messenger of Allah said: "If any of you becomes angry and he is standing, let him sit down, so that his anger will go away. If iit does not go away, let him lie down."
[Reported in the 'Musnad' of Ahmad (5/152) and 'Sahih al-Jami' (694)]

al-Imam al-Khattabi said: "One who is standing is in a position to strike and destroy, while the one who is sitting is less likely to do that, and the one who is lying down can do neither. It is possible that the Prophet told the angry person to sit down or lie down so that he would not do something that he would later regret, and Allah Knows best."
['Ma'alim as-Sunan'; 5/141]

4 - Smile:

By looking from the advise given by our beloved Prophet Muhammed :saw: we shouldn't become anger and furious. If we remember the advise and saying of our beloved Prophet Muhammed :saw: then the person becoming angry will control his anger.

Anas bin Malik narrated:

"I was walking with the Messenger of Allah, and he was wearing a Najrani cloak with a rough collar. A bedouin came and seized him roughly by the edge of his cloak, and I saw the marks left on his neck by the collar. Then the bedouin ordered him to give him some of the wealth of Allah that he had. The Prophet turned to him and smiled, then ordered that he should be given something."
['Fath al-Bari'; 10/375]

Anas: (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the messenger of Allah Muhammad :saw: said:
"Who so takes up his tongue as treasure Allah will keep his secrets concealed and who so restrains his anger Allah will with hold his punishment on the resurrection day and who so ascribes excuse to Allah will accept his excuse.
So by reading this we should refrain from becoming anger. Because anger destroys one faith. The person in anger forgets where he is and says anything which he regrets after.
"

5 - Remember the advice of the Prophet:

Abu Hurayrah narrated:

"A man said to the Prophet: "Advise me." He said: "Do not become angry." The man repeated his request several times, and each time the Prophet said to him: "Do not become angry."
['Fath al-Bari'; 10/456]

According to another narration, the man later said: "I thought about what the Prophet said, and I realized that anger combines all kinds of evil."
[Reported in the 'Musnad' of Ahmad; 5/373]

6 - Remember the high status of those who control themselves:

"The strong man is not the one who can overpower others. Rather, the strong man is the one who controls himself when he gets angry."
[Reported in the 'Musnad' of Ahmad; 2/236, and it is authentic]

The Messenger of Allah also said:

"The strongest man is the one who, when he gets angry and his face reddens and his hackles rise, is able to defeat his anger."
['Sahih al-Jami'; # 3859]

Anas bin Malik narrated :

"The Messenger of Allah passed by some people who were wrestling. He asked: "What is this?" They said: "So-and-so is the strongest; he can beat anybody." The Messenger of Allah then said: "Shall I not tell you who is even stronger then him? The man who, when he is mistreated by another, controls his anger, has defeated his own devil and the devil of the one who made him angry."
['Fath al-Bari'; 10/519]

"Do not become angry, and Paradise is yours."
['Sahih al-Jami'; # 7374]

"Whoever controls his anger at the time when he has the means to act upon it, Allah will call him before all of mankind on the Day of Resurrection, and will let him choose of the Hur al-'Ayn whoever he wants."
[Reported by Abu Dawud (4777), and it is in 'Sahih al-Jami' (6518)]

8 - Remember that resisting anger is one of the signs of righteousness:

{"And march forth in the way to forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Paradise as wide as the heavens and the earth, prepared for the righteous; those who spend in prosperity and in adversity, repress anger, and pardon men. Verily, Allah loves the good-doers."}
[Sourate N°3 The Family of Imran Al 'Imran Aya n°134]

9 - Submit to reminders:

Ibn 'Abbas narrated:

"A man sought permission to speak to 'Umar bin al-Khattab, then he said: "O Ibn al-Khattab, you are not giving us much and you are not judging fairly between us." 'Umar was so angry that he was about to attack the man, but al-Hurr bin Qays - who was one of those present - said: "O Commander of the Believers! Allah said to His Prophet: {"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish."} [al-A'raf; 199], and this man is one of the foolish." By Allah, 'Umar could go no further after al-Hurr had recited this verse to him, as he a man who was careful to adhere to the Book of Allah."
['Fath al-Bari'; 4/304]

...as opposed to how one of the hypocrites reacted when one of the Companions said to him: "Seek refuge with Allah from the Devil," So, he replied: "Do you think I am crazy? Go away!"
['Fath al-Bari'; 1/465]

10 - Remember the bad effects of anger:

'Alqamah bin Wa'il narrated:

"My father said to me: "I was sitting with the Prophet, when a man came to him leading another man by a rope. He said: "O Messenger of Allah, this man killed my brother." The Messenger of Allah asked him, "Did you kill him?" He said: "Yes, I killed him." He asked: "How did you kill him?" He said: "He and I were hitting a tree to make the leaves fall for animal feed, and then he insulted me, so I struck him on the side of the head with an axe and killed him."
['Sahih Muslim'; # 1307]

THE REMEDY FOR ANGER SHOWN BY OUR PROPHET Muhammed :saw:

The remedy for anger is that when a person who is angry should control his anger . In the hadith there are three way's shown to control ones Anger.
1) To say Ta'awwuz
A'udu bi Allah mina ashaytani arrajime. "I SEEK REFUGE IN ALLAH FROM THE OUTCAST SHAITAN"
2) To doWudu (Abulution ) or drink water.
3) To lie down on the floor

So when a person becomes angry he should perform ablution. Then the person should recite the Ayates from the Holy Qur'ran which is (AYAH KURSI ). Then the person should lie down because when a person is lying he becomes humble because this is the quality of the earth due to it being low and not bursting. This is the opposite to fire which is the origin of satan which results to pride. When a person is lying down he is far from revenge and retaliation then a person who is sitting is further then the one who is standing.
Anger effects everyone it doesn't matter if the person is young, old, male, and female. So one should try to control one’s anger. There is a great reward given to the person who controls his anger.

Conclusion

Anger is only permissible for Islamic reason other then that anger is not permissible. Anger effects everyone weather Young old male or female.
When a person is angry he or she should take the medicine givin by our Prophet Muhammad :saw: . May Allah give every person the ability to practice's upon this. Ameen
And say "O my Lord! I seek refuge with Thee from the suggestions of the satans."
Sourate N°23 The Believers (al-Mu'minoune) Ayat 97

Whosoever adopts these three qualities in his life Allah will shower his mercy upon him .
1) Who thanks Allah for all his favour's.
2) When he has the strength to forgive he forgives.
3) when he gets Angry he stay's quite and calms down.
So by looking at the Hadith's mention above we could see that the effect of being anger is a bad thing the person is deprived of many benefits in this world and the hear after
Just by controlling your anger Allah will give the person the pleasure of picking a hoor from Jannat. (Paradise)
-Anger is a very bad condition it destroy the person Iman (FAITH)
-Anger is a cause of temptation and deception of shaytaan so every person should not show
-Anger to anyone. There's more harm in becoming angry and not controlling the anger.
A person control his anger Allah will give him a choice of any Hoor from Jannet (Paradise).
This is the reward given by Allah to the person who control his anger so may Allah give everyone the ability to control our anger and save us from this satanic effects.
May Allah forgive our sin’s and give everyone the ability to practice Islam and the straight path, The path shown by our prophet Muhammed :saw: .

Sources :
http://www.islamawareness.net/Anger/anger.html
http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0702-3239

Mohd Akbar

Asalam alaikum,

thankyou very very good post

Those who glorified Allah both in open and in secret will be the foremost to Enter Paradise on the Day of Resurrection.
----The Prophet Muhammad

'verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest!'(Al-Qur'an 13:28)

Robert

thanks

Asalaam aleykum Andalusian. thank you vary you posted this article at the time that i really needed help. you have helped me at least to overcome little part of the anger that i have. may Allah continue to guide you.:astag: