Islamic Clothing

hayat_yahya

Useful and more detailed articles on the following websites:

http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/clothing.htm :hijabi:

http://islam.about.com/od/dress/p/clothing_reqs.htm

http://www.islamic-world.net/invitation.php?ArtID=359

Wearing black for women is not a must. They may wear other colours that are worn only by women, do not attract attention and do not provoke desire. Many women choose to wear black, not because it is obligatory, but because it is farthest removed from being an adornment.

The conditions of muslim dress:

Firstly:

(It should cover all the body apart from whatever has been exempted).

It is obligatory to cover all of a woman’s beauty and adornments and not to display any part of that before non-mahram men (“strangers”) except for whatever appears unintentionally, in which case there will be no sin on them if they hasten to cover it up.

This means that she should not display any part of her adornment to non-mahrams, apart from that which it is impossible to conceal such as the cloak and robe, i.e., what the women of the Arabs used to wear, an outer garment which covered whatever the woman was wearing, except for whatever appeared from beneath the outer garment. There is no sin on a woman with regard to this because it is impossible to conceal it.

Secondly:

(it should not be an adornment in and of itself).

The outer garment, because if it is decorated it will attract men’s attention to her.

Thirdly:

(It should be thick and not transparent or “see-thru”).

- because it cannot cover properly otherwise. Transparent or see-thru clothing makes a woman more tempting and beautiful. There are women who wear clothes made of light fabric which describes and does not cover. They are clothed in name but naked in reality.

Fourthly:

(It should be loose, not tight so that it describes any part of the body).

The purpose of clothing is to prevent fitnah (temptation), and this can only be achieved if clothes are wide and loose. Tight clothes, even if they conceal the colour of the skin, still describe the size and shape of the body or part of it, and create a vivid image in the minds of men. The corruption or invitation to corruption that is inherent in that is quite obvious. So the clothes must be wide.

Fifthly:

(It should not be perfumed with bakhoor or fragrance).

The prohibition covers perfume applied to the body, it also covers perfume applied to the clothes. The reason for this prohibition is quite clear, which is that women’s fragrance may cause undue provocation of desires. The scholars also included other things under this heading of things to be avoided by women who want to go to the mosque, such as beautiful clothes, jewellery that can be seen, excessive adornments and mingling with men.

Sixthly:

(It should not resemble the clothing of men).

It is forbidden for women to imitate men and vice versa, this usually includes dress and other matters.

Seventhly:

(It should not resemble the dress of kaafir women).

It is stated in sharee’ah that Muslims, men and women alike, should not resemble or imitate the kuffaar with regard to worship, festivals or clothing that is specific to them. This is an important Islamic principle which nowadays, unfortunately, is neglected by many Muslims, even those who care about religion and calling others to Islam. This is due either to ignorance of their religion, or because they are following their own whims and desires, or because of deviation, combined with modern customs and imitation of kaafir Europe. This was one of the causes of the Muslims’ decline and weakness, which enabled the foreigners to overwhelm and colonize them.

Eighthly:

(It should not be a garment of fame and vanity).

Nurain

asalam'alaikum

Sis wearing pants here in Singapore is so widespread what are your views on it? And people are fond of wearing pants with a long top (which covers the bottom)

And also, what about thin hijaab? I only own thin hijaab :(

hayat_yahya

asalam'alaikum

Sis wearing pants here in Singapore is so widespread what are your views on it? And people are fond of wearing pants with a long top (which covers the bottom)

And also, what about thin hijaab? I only own thin hijaab :(
:wasalam:

where that is the situation here as well...pants with long top...it is common, we feel comfortable in them but the prescription are clear i think that we should not wear pants resemble like men' but really there are incidents if wearing skirts for example...i tried and i was passing on it and was difficult to go up in the bus and many inconveniences here like wind blowing and skirt revealing body so i think it is better to wear pants along with long tops as i feel more protected and comfortable and i try being decent and keeping the limits and not wearing tight pants...

Well i personally prefer kuweiti or amira hijabs because of quick and easy wearing over the pashmina hijaab but then you must try to not revel your bottom through blouses because these types of hijab are short and do not cover properly the upper part of the body...

hope this helps you and may Allah ta'ala make it easy for us to accomplish our prescriptions and duties ameen!

Nurain

Thank you for the reply sister. I know religion should not be difficult and I was really in a dilemma about this whole wearing pants business. I mean, if it is only practical and it covers and the pants is a bigger size surely it is permissible..

Though i think I need to buy thicker hijaab cos I am wearing the ones which is square and you need to fold it into a big triangle and fasten it with brooches.

Thank you for reply sister may Allah bless you and your family.

:)

Nurain

Thank you for the reply sister. I know religion should not be difficult and I was really in a dilemma about this whole wearing pants business. I mean, if it is only practical and it covers and the pants is a bigger size surely it is permissible..

Though i think I need to buy thicker hijaab cos I am wearing the ones which is square and you need to fold it into a big triangle and fasten it with brooches.

when I re-read my reply I realise that the big square cloth is probably not even proper hijaab

hayat_yahya

afwan habibti w ammen li duaa:hijabi:

hayat_yahya

when I re-read my reply I realise that the big square cloth is probably not even proper hijaab
well if he covers well her, neck and bottom then it is okay. i prefer amira and kuweiti style hijaab because of quick and easy wear and because i do not need more then 1 pin, brooche for the kuweiti and none for the amira hijab...

mohammed nasser

i appreciate all efforts you do here for sake of Islam
but i want to mention some points i think they are so important
1/there is nothing called islamic uniform
2/women must cover their bodies except for faces , hands with non-transperent non-narrow clothes
3/arabic traditional clothes and wear forms are not related to the islamic teachings as rituals but it is related to arabic culture
4/islam is universal religion which is not limited to specific uniform eithe for men or women
5/there is of course refusal of wearing like men but we should differniate between wearing like men at one side and wearing pants ( with the limits mentioned above ) as something becoming now not pointing to simulate men but to be universal wear
:ma:
hoping you all more guidance and to me of course too

hayat_yahya

i appreciate all efforts you do here for sake of Islam
but i want to mention some points i think they are so important
1/there is nothing called islamic uniform
2/women must cover their bodies except for faces , hands with non-transperent non-narrow clothes
3/arabic traditional clothes and wear forms are not related to the islamic teachings as rituals but it is related to arabic culture
4/islam is universal religion which is not limited to specific uniform eithe for men or women
5/there is of course refusal of wearing like men but we should differniate between wearing like men at one side and wearing pants ( with the limits mentioned above ) as something becoming now not pointing to simulate men but to be universal wear
:ma:
hoping you all more guidance and to me of course too
thank you for your comment and i have the same opinion, i tried to give infos because some people might need them in order to make an idea about what means islamic decent clothing but sure there is not the case of an "uniform" just general features and regulations, description over hijaab...

hayat_yahya

If the prophet (peace be upon him) wore certain clothing, are they not therefore Islamic?
sure that the clothes of the prophet pbuh are islamic :D and is considered sunnah i think to wear similar clothes but this does not mean that there is such thing in islam like an "uniform" or that we cannot wear other type of clothes...as long as clothes are decent, cover body and subscribe to the islamic regulations concerning clothing than those clothes are islamic :hijabi: