islamic? or cultural?

nizar83

selemu aleikum, i thought it would be a good idea to post things we often mistake or see as islamic which in fact are culture and vice versa.

especially the ones that are raised as muslims tend to experience this..but im sure the converts to islam will be of a great help as well too help make this clear since they have this very fresh and sharp look on islam..

i will start with an example:

talking or singing when in bathroom: haram or makrooh? or pure cultural madness

whistling in a house; haram or makrooh? or pure cultural madness

i know plenty more..and i will post them inshalaah so that it be clear 4 ever inshallah

palestine

Servant of Allah
well bro. give us the answer to the above questions, cause i learned something new from you. salam.

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
marrying within the village or city or country you are from! i hate it...people really believe its part of ISlam...it isnt!

Rawa

I do not care these little things... I try to pay attention to important and big issues... They seem to be cultural, or even personal behavor or habit. They are trivial.

nizar83

selemu aleikum

I do not care these little things... I try to pay attention to important and big issues... They seem to be cultural, or even personal behavor or habit. They are trivial.

rawa brother, off course we all try to pay attention to the bigger things,.but that doesnt mean we should care less about the little things...

kollie bid3atan dalala..wa kollie dalalatin fi naar! we do not want to enter hell allah y hfed!

so if we keep on doing these small things wrong..we will be held accountable for them..as for the answers on both these things i mentioned earlier

i have an answer which i have gotten from my father..he has memorized the entire quraan at age 18 but this does not mean he is allowed to give fatwas on any subject..however i trust him in his answers because i know he would never say things if he wasnt sure of them..(the answer may be a bit incomplete)

he said..while talking or singing in a bathroom, or even responding to someone that calls you from outside the bathroom while you are in it, it is very dangerous...these are the places shaitaan lives in..and tries to hurt people while in these surroundings..

i came to think about it..and i remembered stories of people that have had bad experiences with shaitaan..4 example when shaitaan enters a human body may ALLAH forbid us all from this..these happenings occured very often while in a bathroom or toilet

nizar83

very true

marrying within the village or city or country you are from! i hate it...people really believe its part of ISlam...it isnt!

its shocking to see even our parents sometimes think like this..

a muslim is a muslim..he or she stands for the same things.
dont matter where he from china germany or mekka itself.

ALLAH subhanawata3ala is still 1.
mohammed salalahu wa3alayhi wasalam is still his slave and messsenger

and we as muslims are to obey both ALLAH subhanawata3ala and mohammed sws

muslimguy

kollie bid3atan dalala..wa kollie dalalatin fi naar! we do not want to enter hell allah y hfed!

you must be from North africa, If I were to guess I would say Morocco.

i came to think about it..and i remembered stories of people that have had bad experiences with shaitaan..4 example when shaitaan enters a human body may ALLAH forbid us all from this..these happenings occured very often while in a bathroom or toilet

you say this when entering the bathroom
‘(In the name of Allaah). O Allaah, I take refuge with you from all evil and evil-doers.’

and you say I ask (o Allah) your forgiveness when you exit.

:salam2:

nizar83

dont see what where im from has to do with any of this brother.

thnx tho 4 completing what one should say while entering or leaving a bathroom.

thnx bro wa salamu aleikum

summertime

sister :)
oh my i have such a long list of these cultural innovations that list would go on and on....i find it extremely frustrating !!!

rtbour

american muslima
rawa brother, off course we all try to pay attention to the bigger things,.but that doesnt mean we should care less about the little things...

so if we keep on doing these small things wrong..we will be held accountable for them..as for the answers on both these things i mentioned earlier

i have an answer which i have gotten from my father..he has memorized the entire quraan at age 18 but this does not mean he is allowed to give fatwas on any subject..however i trust him in his answers because i know he would never say things if he wasnt sure of them..(the answer may be a bit incomplete)

he said..while talking or singing in a bathroom, or even responding to someone that calls you from outside the bathroom while you are in it, it is very dangerous...these are the places shaitaan lives in..and tries to hurt people while in these surroundings..

That thing you said about Shaytan living in the bathroom... please before I say this, try not to think I am mean, because my husband has said the SAME things you said.
I have read the Qur'an and while I certainly do not remember the entire thing, I think I would have remembered guidance that talked about being careful when in the bathroom because that is where Shaytan lives. I always thought that a muslim home is a safe home, and is protected from Shaytan- including the bathroom. Why would the bathroom be the place he hangs out? Why not the closet, under the bed, or even in the kitchen? It really seems like a cultural thing to me. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. If there is a sura or hadith that talks about Shaytan living in the bathroom, i would LOVE to read it. This whole thing seems pretty funny to me. The devil in the bathroom... I don't know... I grew up hearing that Light (Allah) and Darkness(Shaytan) cannot dwell together, which is why this whole shaytan hiding in the bathroom scenario is hard for me to take seriously.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
That thing you said about Shaytan living in the bathroom... please before I say this, try not to think I am mean, because my husband has said the SAME things you said.
I have read the Qur'an and while I certainly do not remember the entire thing, I think I would have remembered guidance that talked about being careful when in the bathroom because that is where Shaytan lives. I always thought that a muslim home is a safe home, and is protected from Shaytan- including the bathroom. Why would the bathroom be the place he hangs out? Why not the closet, under the bed, or even in the kitchen? It really seems like a cultural thing to me. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. If there is a sura or hadith that talks about Shaytan living in the bathroom, i would LOVE to read it. This whole thing seems pretty funny to me. The devil in the bathroom... I don't know... I grew up hearing that Light (Allah) and Darkness(Shaytan) cannot dwell together, which is why this whole shaytan hiding in the bathroom scenario is hard for me to take seriously.

It has absolutely nothing to do with culture. There are specific ayats that a person should read before entering and upon exiting the bathroom. We are also told that the bathroom MUST be kept clean because a bathroom is IMPURE and as a result it attracts impure things. Being Muslim doesn't automatically disclude someone from being exempt from the evil things in the world; we're the only faith that knows how to protect ourselves against these things. If you want further proof, I can get it, but this isn't something that's cultural. If it's cultural in any sense, than it would be such because these cultures are emphasizing on habits stemming from Islamic teachings.

To every other Muslim from a traditional background, I dont know about you guys but our alim specifically told us to keep our bathroom and kitchen clean after certain "events" that occurred in our house.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
:salam2:
all the chain smoking that goes on here is completely cultural, the pushing in the markets, and all the garbage that gets thrown on the ground is nasty and not part of Islam :wasalam:

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

this is an issue of a great importance, many practices of what we think is cultural or personal Habits is against the teachings of islam, and the examples are numerous..

i dont know about converts, but as an arab, as i read more in Fatwas and teachings of islam, i noticed that this problem does exist.

Most simple example is hair cuts, where some hair cuts are done by shaving only parts of the head more that others as in some "marines haircut"..

when in islam it is forbidden, as came in hadith..

Hadith - Bukhari 7:803, Narrated Ubaidullah bin Hafs
that 'Umar bin Nafi' told him that Nafi', Maula 'Abdullah had heard 'Umar saying, "I heard Allah's Apostle forbidding Al-Qaza'." 'Ubaidullah added: I said, "What is Al-Qaza'?" 'Ubaidullah pointed (towards his head) to show us and added, "Nafi' said, 'It is when a boy has his head shaved leaving a tuft of hair here and a tuft of hair there." Ubaidullah pointed towards his forehead and the sides of his head. 'Ubaidullah was asked, "Does this apply to both girls and boys?" He said, "I don't know," but Nafi' said, -The boy." 'Ubaidullah added, "I asked Nafi' again, and he said, 'As for leaving hair on the temples and the back part of the boy's head, there is no harm, but Al-Qaza' is to leave a tuft of hair on his forehead unshaved while there is no hair on the rest of his head, and also to leave hair on either side of his head.' "

nizar83

masha allah this is exactly why i started this thread..

not to mix things up or cause more confusion..but to achieve the contrary insha allah..
as far as the bathroom issue,...im sure it isnt cultural crap..and if anyone things it is..insha allah i will seek for proof.

as another brother stated earlier, the bathroom is maybe the only place in our house we shouldnt enter without saying bismilahi rahmani raheem a3oodibilahi minna shaytaan a rajeem..after entering our house.

so please keep it up brothers and sisters so that we may get rid off all the cultural stuff insha allah!

nizar83

selemu aleikum

selem brother,

i wont ever be offended when it comes to talking about islam..we can all learn from eachother inshallah.

however we must never think certain things are either allowed or prohibitited or certain things exist or dont exist based on our own experience or the knowledge we have..

allah always knows best, so its better if we base our knowledge upon proof inshallah/

nizar83

selemu aleikum

i thought id post a new thing to revive this thread inshallah

as most of us already know, muslim men have the obligation to circumsise.
this is preferred to have when a muslim man is still young (age 3 to 10 i guess)

but what about the women, do they have this obligation as well?
or is this an issue based on culture

selemu aleikum

-SubhanAllah-

Assalamu Alaikum

Do some research on JINN and you will find out where they live, anyway here is one dua:

[Bismillahi] Allahumma inna 'audhu bika minal khubthi wal khabaa'ith.

[By the Name of Allah]. Oh Allah, I seek protection in You from unclean spirits, male and female.

[Abu Dawud 4/264, Ahmad 2/389]

It is also Sunnah to walk in with your left foot and walk out with right foot and saying "Ghuf-raa naka" which means "(O Allah) I seek forgiveness and pardon from You".

palestine

Servant of Allah
some think that wearing hijab is worn for culture, no! it's for deen! also marrying from your tribes- that's culture not religion. doing stupid rituals or else bad luck which are from culture not religion. one example: in some countries if a man sees a woman undressed by accident he has to marry her because he saw her. so she has to marry him whether she likes it or not. also many think that woman are the slaves of men- once again, culture not religion.

nizar83

selemu aleikum,

indeed hijaab is not culture, its deen/religion in the first place.

just like one of my favourite anasheed says; el hijaab midkor fil kitaab!

which means: the hijaab is mentioned in the book( the holy quraan )