Koran Question

omayrat

:salam2:
I am currently starting to read the Koran in English and hoping someone may help me with the following question.

What is meant by "WE" in the Koran?
:SMILY176:

NX01

In regard to your question,
it is proper in the Arabic language to utilize the plural form when
addressing a single person for respect. A common example of that is the
Islamic greeting "Assalamu 'alaikum", which is used even when addressing
a single individual as well as a group.

When Allah (swt) speaks in the Quran and sometimes He says "We", it is for
GRANDEUR.

The Qur’an mentioned very clearly that there is only One God, Allah. “There is no god but Allah” is the basic principle of Islam. There is no ambiguity about this fact in the Qur’an and there are hundreds of ayat or verses of the Qur’an that make this point very clear. Belief in more than one God is Shirk (polytheism) and a major sin in Islam.

:wasalam:

omayrat

Thank you very much for your reply.
I should have explained that this question was asked by a Non muslim at work and I felt very bad for not having the answer.
This website has helped me understand so many issues and topics about my faith (islam) that I was confused about. I also found my faith grows everytime I visit.
:ma: what a wonderful website.
:jazaak:

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Interesting to ask, because also in the 'book' (bible) it is also mentioned as 'we'....in the creation part of Genesis.

I have wondered, myself about 'We' in the Qur'an.

Salam

Bluegazer

Hello omayrat,

The following is a religious opinion given by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid as an answer to question no. 606 [The meaning of the pronoun “We” as used in the Qur’an]:

"Question:
Why does the Quran use the term "we" in its ayats?
Many non-believers believe that this may be in reference to Jesus?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is a feature of literary style in Arabic that a person may refer to himself by the pronoun nahnu (we) for respect or glorification. He may also use the word ana (I), indicating one person, or the third person huwa (he). All three styles are used in the Qur’an, where Allaah addresses the Arabs in their own tongue. (Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 4/143).

“Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, sometimes refers to Himself in the singular, by name or by use of a pronoun, and sometimes by use of the plural, as in the phrase (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Verily, We have given you a manifest victory” [al-Fath 48:1], and other similar phrases. But Allaah never refers to Himself by use of the dual, because the plural refers to the respect that He deserves, and may refer to His names and attributes, whereas the dual refers to a specific number (and nothing else), and He is far above that.” (Al-‘Aqeedah al-Tadmuriyyah by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, p. 75).

These words, innaa (“Verily We”) and nahnu (“We”), and other forms of the plural, may be used by one person speaking on behalf of a group, or they may be used by one person for purposes of respect or glorification, as is done by some monarchs when they issue statements or decrees in which they say “We have decided…” etc. [This is known in English as “The Royal We” – Translator]. In such cases, only one person is speaking but the plural is used for respect. The One Who is more deserving of respect than any other is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, so when He says in the Qur’an innaa (“Verily We”) and nahnu (“We”), it is for respect and glorification, not to indicate plurality of numbers. If an aayah of this type is causing confusion, it is essential to refer to the clear, unambiguous aayaat for clarification, and if a Christian, for example, insists on taking ayaat such as “Verily, We: it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e., the Qur’an)” [al-Hijr 15:9 – interpretation of the meaning] as proof of divine plurality, we may refute this claim by quoting such clear and unambiguous aayaat as (interpretation of the meanings): “And your god is One God, there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful” [al-Baqarah 2:163] and “Say: He is Allaah, the One” [al-Ikhlaas 112:1] – and other aayaat which can only be interpreted in one way. Thus confusion will be dispelled for the one who is seeking the truth. Every time Allaah uses the plural to refer to Himself, it is based on the respect and honour that He deserves, and on the great number of His names and attributes, and on the great number of His troops and angels.” (Reference: Al-‘Aqeedah al-Tadmuriyyah by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, p. 109). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid"

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=606&ln=eng

Regards,

Bluegazer

Karima

Asalamualikum,

All of the above is good to read. For some reason, the one God/Allah refers to 'We'.....and it is still not clear....for me....and when someone refers to what others believe to be jesus, in this, can there be documented information...based on the comment?

This is a first for me to read this, when I was brought up in a christian faith...where God is God...and no one else.

msameer

There should be absolutely no confusion in this regard. All semitic langauges including Hebrew, Armaic, Syriac have what is called the plural of respect. Many other languages like urdu hindi etc. also have the same plural of respect. Infact, This is also used in old English in royal decrees etc.

Infact, In the old testament in hundreds of places God is Called ELOhim where " im " is actually plural, but in all those hundreds of places it is translated as "God" , and not " Gods" . The reason is that in hebrew it is very common to use the plural of respect.

I hope that clears the matter.

q8penpals

Salam

It is referred to as "the royal WE" in English. The Queen of England would use WE when referring to a ruling that she has made on behalf of the people of England (traditionally, at least, I don't know about today).

Lana

Ayep

:bismillah1: :salam2:

I am currently starting to read the Koran in English and hoping someone may help me with the following question.

What is meant by "WE" in the Koran?
:SMILY176:

In the Arabic language there is the plurality of respect and numbers.
If you are an Arab it is easy for you to distinguish the difference between

1)the plurality of the royal 'WE'

2)and the plurality a number of people who call themselves 'We'.

However, because of the deficiency of the English language it is difficult for a Non-Arab to distinguish when translated.

It is important therefore to explain to non-Arabs that when the Quran states 'WE' it means plurality of respect.

Allah knows best
:wasalam:

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum Karima,

You posted the following:

All of the above is good to read. For some reason, the one God/Allah refers to 'We'.....and it is still not clear....for me....and when someone refers to what others believe to be jesus, in this, can there be documented information...based on the comment?

This is a first for me to read this, when I was brought up in a christian faith...where God is God...and no one else.

When Christians are asked to explain why there isn't a very clear phrase in the Old Testament which supports their belief [and certainly not mine] God Almighty is a trinity [Father, Son and Holy Ghost], they refer to phrases where God refers to Himself as "We" to supprt their belief that "God is one in unity, but three persons". I first encountered this when debating with a Christian on another forum.

The following link takes you to a Christian website that uses this reasoning:

http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity...of-majesty-pluralis-majestaticus-royal-we.htm

It goes without saying that I totally reject the idea of the trinity. God Almighty plainly refuted this in His last revelation to manking:

"O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 4:171]

"They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers. They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God. And if they do not desist from what they are saying, there will surely afflict the disbelievers among them a painful punishment. So will they not repent to Allah and seek His forgiveness? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 5:72-75]

I used the translation published by AbulQasim Publishing House, which was edited by Sahih International [ISBN 9960-792-63-3]. The underlined phrase "was not but a messenger" is better translated by other English language translations as "was no more than a Messenger". An example of such other translation is the one entitled "Translation of the Meanings of the Noble Qur'an in the English Languauge" by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan -the title on the cover is "The Noble Qur'an: English Translation of the meanings and commentary-, published by the King Fahd Complex for the Printing of the Holy Qur'an. This is the translation being used on the King Fahd Complex's website. To see verse 75 of Chapter 5 of the Qur'an and check for yourself this other translation, click on the following link:

http://qurancomplex.org/Quran/Targama/Targama.asp?nSora=5&l=eng&nAya=75#5_75

As a final point, I'd like to mention that the English language has the "Royal We", as shown by the following definition of "we" taken from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

"Pronunciation: 'wE
Function: pronoun, plural in construction
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English wE; akin to Old High German wir we, Sanskrit vayam
1 : I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others : I and another or others not including you -- used as pronoun of the first person plural; compare I, OUR, OURS, US
2 : 1 I -- used by sovereigns; used by writers to keep an impersonal character"

Source: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/We

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

mahdi

asalamu alykum. i am muslim but i don't know the arabic language. but when god says 'we' i just know what it means . and it mean's only god. in arabic language there is a plural of respect. i don't read the translation of the quran in english but i read it in my language. and it is the same like arabic language there is also arespect plural.