Making up Salah missed in the past.

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

Today, the Imam at my local mosque was talking about Salah times during the khutbah. If you don't pray within the prescribed time period, then you've missed the Salah and have to make it up. Then he went on to say that some of us have been missing Salah for 5, 10 or 15 years, haven't we? You are required to start learning at age seven and can be disciplined starting at age ten by your parents for missing the prayer. So if you haven't been praying regularly starting at age ten, you've missed all those prayers and they ALL have to be made up. My question is does this apply to reverts? Do you have to make up prayers from before you were a Muslim?

The Imam went on to say that we should make up the prayers by doing them throughout the day in addition to the 5 regular prayers (ie, before/after a Fardh Salah, when we'd normally do a Sunnah). If this is so, I think a lot of us have some catching up to do (myself included).

:wasalam:

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam Warahmathullaahi wabarakatuh,

Firstly, May our Salah, become acceptable ... Ameen.
A new Muslim is not to make up missed Islamic duties before accepting Islam - 2195 [Islam QA]

A man accepts Islam and he is 40 years old. Does he need to make up what he has missed from his prayers?

Praise be to Allaah.
One who accepts Islam is not to make what he or she has missed from prayers, fasting, alms (zakaat) during his or her days of disbelief (kufr), as indicated by the verse in which Allaah says (what can be interpreted as):
Say to those who have disbelieved that if they cease, what has previously occurred will be forgiven for them… (Al-Anfaal:38)
And what was related that the Prophet (may the peace and blessings and mercy of Allaah be upon him) said, “Islam annuls what came before it.” (narrated by Muslim in his Sahih, no. 121). Also, the Prophet (may the peace and blessings and mercy of Allaah be upon him) did not command anyone among those who accepted Islam to make up for anything that he previously missed from the rites and rituals of Islam during his days of disbelief, and the scholars of Islam are in consensus about this.

(Fatawa Al-Lajnah Al-Daa’imah, Rulings of the Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Rulings, 6/400)

Hope this helps you, Brother

PeacefulHumanity

JZK, this was informative. What about reverts that come from "Muslim Families" where they weren't encouraged to pray, etc. but began doing so on their own later in life? Is there any opinion on that?

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam,

Prophet:saw: did not command for reverts to make for anything missed during days of non-belief.

JZK, this was informative. What about reverts that come from "Muslim Families" where they weren't encouraged to pray, etc. but began doing so on their own later in life? Is there any opinion on that?
The ISLAM QA Site -- http://islamqa.com/en/cat/272&pp=50 , has detailed coverage. You may benefit.

May we end up being among those, who testimony - 'The benefits of prayer, outweigh, a reason to skip them'... Ameen

PeacefulHumanity

Thank you, I found a question that was similar but not quite what I was looking for. Is there a link to ask a question to the sheikh on this website?

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

I understand what you mean. Reverts that come from Muslim family, the phrase could be wrong!

My Opinion: The rule applies I guess, because one did not know. But it might be better to make up for such Muslims Salah, so that the burden of sin on parents / guardians is reduced!!

Hope this helps!