Making wudu without innvations

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:
I hope everyone is in the best of health and iman inshaAllah.
I came across this video talking about how to make wudu without innovations:
I hope it helps,inshaAllah.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXB-tb138o[/ame]

Knowledgeable members please do correct if you find anything amiss.

:jazaak:

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam Brother.
Thanks for the post.
first question - anyone know the name of the nasheed - its really beautiful even tho I dont understand it.
Second - This is the absolute first time I am hearing that wiping of the neck is not in wudhu... Are there any more references?
We were even taught masah of the fingers.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Salaam Brother.
Thanks for the post.
first question - anyone know the name of the nasheed - its really beautiful even tho I dont understand it.
Second - This is the absolute first time I am hearing that wiping of the neck is not in wudhu... Are there any more references?
We were even taught masah of the fingers.

:wasalam:
You're welcome sister.
As for your first question,sorry sister,I don't know the nasheed's name.

As for your second question,I too was shocked when I discovered this,then I found this daleel from Islamqa,I hope you will benefit inshaAllah.
It is not prescribed to wipe the neck during wudoo’
ar - en - ur
Share |
Is it mustahabb to wipe the neck during wudoo’?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not mustahabb to wipe the neck during wudoo’, because there is no proof of that from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

There is no saheeh report from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which says that he wiped his neck during wudoo’, rather no such thing has been narrated from him in any saheeh hadeeth. Rather the saheeh ahaadeeth which describe the wudoo’ of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) do not mention that he wiped his neck. Hence the majority of scholars, such as Maalik, al-Shaafa’i and Ahmed did not regard that as mustahabb. Those who say that it is mustahabb rely on a report narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) or a da’eef (weak) hadeeth which says that he wiped his head until he reached the back of his head. Such reports cannot be relied on, and it does not contradict what is indicated by the sound ahaadeeth. Whoever does not wipe his neck, his wudoo’ is valid according to scholarly consensus. End quote.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/127.

This hadeeth, “He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wiped his head until he reached the back of his head (which is the beginning of the back of the head),” was narrated by Abu Dawood (132) and was classed as da’eef by al-Albaani in Da’eef Abi Dawood.

In al-Majmoo’ (1/489) al-Nawawi mentioned a difference of opinion among the companions of al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) concerning wiping the neck in wudoo’. Then he said: This is a summary of what they said, and they had four views on this matter, one of which is that it is Sunnah to wipe it with new water. The second is that it is mustahabb and cannot be said to be Sunnah. The third is that it is mustahabb to use the water left from wiping the head and ears. The fourth is that it is neither Sunnah nor mustahabb. The fourth view is the one that is correct. Hence al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) did not mention it, and neither did our earlier companions. It was not mentioned by most of the scholars. There is no proof of that from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

It is proven in Saheeh Muslim and elsewhere that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The worst of matters are those which are newly-invented, and every innovation is a going astray.”

In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces anything into our religion that is not part of it, will have it rejected.:”According to a version narrated by Muslim: “Whoever does any action that is not in accordance with this matter of ours will have it rejected,:

With regard to the hadeeth that is narrated from Talhah ibn Musarraf, from his father, from his grandfather, which says that he saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wiping his head until he reached the back of his head and the first part of the neck, it is a hadeeth which is da’eef (weak) according to scholarly consensus.

With regard to the words of al-Ghazaali: Wiping the neck is Sunnah because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Wiping the neck is a protection from the yoke (or chains – al-ghull)”, this is a mistake, because these are not the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). End quote.

Al-ghull (pl. al-aghlaal) refers to chains that are placed on the neck. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They are those who disbelieved in their Lord! They are those who will have iron chains (al-aghlaal) tying their hands to their necks”

[al-Ra’d 13:5]

“And We shall put iron collars (al-aghlaal) round the necks of those who disbelieved. Are they requited aught except what they used to do?”

[Saba’ 34:33]

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad (1/195):

There is no saheeh hadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about wiping the neck at all. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said:

It is not mustahabb or prescribed in sharee’ah to wipe the neck, rather the head and the ears only are to be wiped, as is indicated by the Qur’aan and Sunnah. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 10/103.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/70120/wiping neck

If any knowledgeable member would like to add something please,help us and gain hasanat inshaAllah.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalaamualaykum,

Thanks for the IslamQA post Borther Kashif and the wesbite Brother Ershad.

While we are on the topic, we were also taught to clean the nose with the pinky and the thumb of the left hand... Again no mention of this in the above video or the website..
You know (a little rant) every day I am learning something that I do sometimes more than 5 times a day, is WRONG!
This is very frustrating, but also I am so grateful I am learning the correct way. Alhamdulillah.

Allah bless all Bros and Sis' here.
BarakAllah feek

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Asalaamualaykum,

Thanks for the IslamQA post Borther Kashif and the wesbite Brother Ershad.

While we are on the topic, we were also taught to clean the nose with the pinky and the thumb of the left hand... Again no mention of this in the above video or the website..
You know (a little rant) every day I am learning something that I do sometimes more than 5 times a day, is WRONG!
This is very frustrating, but also I am so grateful I am learning the correct way. Alhamdulillah.

Allah bless all Bros and Sis' here.
BarakAllah feek

Wa 'alaikumassalam warahmatullah,
Sister,the link provided by brother Ershad provides how to perform wudu(ablution) :jazaak: to him.If you have any other questions you can ask inshaAllah.
Sorry if my video frustrated you,it was not one of my intentions,I can assure you inshaAllah.
If we did something upon ignorance,Allah is Oft Forgiving Most Merciful and the nature of 'ilm(knowledge) is like this that it chases away jahl(ignorance),just as light chases darkness away.
Alhamdulillah,that we are learning and there by coming out of darkness towards light.
Ameen to your duas and feeki BarakAllah

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Just wanted to add a few points if you guys don't mind :- )

1) With regards to the tasmiyah (saying bismillah), then all the narrations on the Prophet :saw2: regarding this are weak and it was weakened by Imaam Ahmad. Vast majority of the scholars, however, do hold the view that it is sunnah (rather than it being waajib)- but due to the narrations being weak, if a person says it- then there is no harm and if a person leaves it out then there is no harm inshaa'Allaah.

2) Washing the hands up till the wrists (before washing the mouth) is Mustahabb according to the consensus of the scholars and if one leave it out purposely or un-intentionally, then his wudoo' is still valid

3) Please not that the mouth and nose is to be washed together at the same time and this is the sunnah (as opposed to the video). The narration that has been narrated regarding the seperation between the washing of the mouth and the nose, as narrated by *Abu Dawood in his sunan, is weak.

4) The hand starts from the tip of the fingers up till the elbows and there is a consensus on this definition. Thus, a person washes from the tip of his fingers till his elbows and NOT beyond his elbows.

5) When wiping over the head- then if the hair is short then the person starts wiping from the start of the hair (at the forehead) till the back of the hair and then brings his hand back [whilst wiping the head] to the front. If the hair is long, then the person only wipes from the front till the back of the hair (and not bring it back).

Please note that a person does not have to mess up his hair (if it is combed in a certain manner) when wiping the head, as Imaam Ahmad mentioned.

6) The head and ears are to be wiped with the same wet hand, instead of wiping the head with wet hands and then taking new water and wiping over the ears. The narration that indicates to the latter ruling is shaadh (odd) and is thus weak.

7) If a person forgets to wipe over his ears, then his wudoo' is still valid as wiping over the ears is mustahabb (which a person should always try and do) and there is a consensus of scholars on this issue as quoted by al-Tabari.

8) Finally, with regards to using the siwaak (or miswaak)- then the evidences suggest that it is to be done before doing the wudoo' and this was the opinion of a group of scholars from the Hanafis, Shafi`ees and Maalikis. As Ibn Taymiyyah mentioned, the siwaak is to be used by the left hand- as Ibn Taymiyyah said: "I do not know of any khilaaf regarding using the siwaak with the left hand".

BaarakAllaahu feekum
Wassalaamu `alaykum

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~

Just wanted to add a few points if you guys don't mind :- )

1) With regards to the tasmiyah (saying bismillah), then all the narrations on the Prophet :saw2: regarding this are weak and it was weakened by Imaam Ahmad. Vast majority of the scholars, however, do hold the view that it is sunnah (rather than it being waajib)- but due to the narrations being weak, if a person says it- then there is no harm and if a person leaves it out then there is no harm inshaa'Allaah.

2) Washing the hands up till the wrists (before washing the mouth) is Mustahabb according to the consensus of the scholars and if one leave it out purposely or un-intentionally, then his wudoo' is still valid

3) Please not that the mouth and nose is to be washed together at the same time and this is the sunnah (as opposed to the video). The narration that has been narrated regarding the seperation between the washing of the mouth and the nose, as narrated by al-Nasaa'ee, is weak.

4) The hand starts from the tip of the fingers up till the elbows and there is a consensus on this definition. Thus, a person washes from the tip of his fingers till his elbows and NOT beyond his elbows.

5) When wiping over the head- then if the hair is short then the person starts wiping from the start of the hair (at the forehead) till the back of the hair and then brings his hand back [whilst wiping the head] to the front. If the hair is long, then the person only wipes from the front till the back of the hair (and not bring it back).

Please note that a person does not have to mess up his hair (if it is combed in a certain manner) when wiping the head, as Imaam Ahmad mentioned.

6) The head and ears are to be wiped with the same wet hand, instead of wiping the head with wet hands and then taking new water and wiping over the ears. The narration that indicates to the latter ruling is shaadh (odd) and is thus weak.

7) If a person forgets to wipe over his ears, then his wudoo' is still valid as wiping over the ears is mustahabb (which a person should always try and do) and there is a consensus of scholars on this issue as quoted by al-Tabari.

8) Finally, with regards to using the siwaak (or miswaak)- then the evidences suggest that it is to be done before doing the wudoo' and this was the opinion of a group of scholars from the Hanafis, Shafi`ees and Maalikis. As Ibn Taymiyyah mentioned, the siwaak is to be used by the left hand- as Ibn Taymiyyah said: "I do not know of any khilaaf regarding using the siwaak with the left hand".

BaarakAllaahu feekum
Wassalaamu `alaykum
Wa alaikumassalam warahmatullah

:jazaak: brother thariq for posting,really appreciate it.I,too had a doubt about mouth and nose video.JazakAllah khayr for clearing it up.One of the main reason I posted it here,was to affirm from more knowledgable members if there was anything amiss.
JazakAllah khayr for your points :)

BarakAllahu feek

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa alaikumassalam warahmatullah

:jazaak: brother thariq for posting,really appreciate it.I,too had a doubt about mouth and nose video.JazakAllah khayr for clearing it up.One of the main reason I posted it here,was to affirm from more knowledgable members if there was anything amiss.
JazakAllah khayr for your points :)

BarakAllahu feek

Wa iyyaak brother Kashif.

I would like to point out that I am not one of the 'knowledgable' members from TTI or anything of that sort. I am a layman like you and everyone else. This is not me being humble, but rather being perfectly honest.

BaarakAllaahu feek

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualaykum,

Brother Tariq - you are modest :)
JazakAllah Khair for clarifying and shedding more light on such an important part of our daily lives.
Anything on what I posted earlier? - about using your fingers to clean or wet the insides of your nose.
Also I was taught that at least 1 quarter of the head should be wet in order for wudoo to be valid (this definitely would entail messing the hairstyle - if one has!).
BarakAllah feek

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,
Jazaakum Allaahu khayraa for the thread.

What if one washes a bit beyond the elbows?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

3) Please not that the mouth and nose is to be washed together at the same time and this is the sunnah (as opposed to the video). The narration that has been narrated regarding the seperation between the washing of the mouth and the nose, as narrated by *Abu Dawood in his sunan, is weak.

Just wanted to point out that I made a mistake and I apologize about this. I wrote "narrated by al-Nasaa'ee" which was a mistake and after checking over my notes- it was actually narrated by Abu Dawood in his Sunan.

Asalamualaykum,

Brother Tariq - you are modest :)
JazakAllah Khair for clarifying and shedding more light on such an important part of our daily lives.
Anything on what I posted earlier? - about using your fingers to clean or wet the insides of your nose.

No I am not modest- I am being honest. The problem is... because none of us are knowledgable in this forum- when someone posts something a bit informative, it seems that this person who posted is knowledgable.

Whatever the case, with regards to the nose. Then, one is required to do Istinshaaq and Istinthaar.

Istinshaaq is defined as entering water into the nose and Istinthaar is blowing out the water (and according to the narration in sunan al-Nasaa'ee, one uses the left hand to blow it out).

The above is what one is meant to do- at least according to the Hanabali madh-hab. With regards to using the finger to clean the inside of the nose, then I have not come across it as being legislated (I may be wrong) nor do I know as to whether this is legislated in another madh-hab or not.

If I find out anymore extra information on using the finger to clean the inside of the nose- in wudoo'- then I'll post back inshaa'Allaah.

Also I was taught that at least 1 quarter of the head should be wet in order for wudoo to be valid (this definitely would entail messing the hairstyle - if one has!).

Would you be able to verify (from the person who taught you) as to which scholar/madh-hab made it a condition for a quarter of your head to be wet?

What is required with regards to wiping over the head is that wet 'hands' are used to 'wipe' over the head ONCE.

Jazaakum Allaahu khayraa for the thread.

What if one washes a bit beyond the elbows?

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

The sunnah is to wash the hand up till the Mirfaq (elbow) and this is in accordance to the sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah :saw2:. The different narrations like that of `Uthmaan in Bukhaari and Muslim, `Abdullaah ibn Zayd in Bukhaari and Muslim other sahaabah- show that one washes the hand up till the elbows.

As for washing beyond the elbow- then that was the action of Abu Hurairah and not the Prophet :saw2:. This was the understanding of Abu Hurairah with regards to the statement of Prophet :saw2:, when he said (as narrated by Muslim):

إنَّ أُمَّتِي يَأْتُونَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ غُرّاً مُحَجَّلِينَ، مِنْ أَثَرِ الْوُضُوءِ، فَمن اسْتَطَاعَ مِنْكُمْ أَنْ يُطِيلَ غُرَّتَهُ فَلْيَفْعَلْ
"Verily, my Ummah will come on the Day of Judgement with radiant faces, hands and feet- from the traces of Wudoo'. So, if any of you is able to extend his radiance then let him do so"

The understanding of Abu Hurairah with regards to 'extending the radiance' was to wash his hands beyond the elbows. However, what seems to be correct (according to what I was taught) is that one should stick to the sunnah of the Prophet :saw2: and not exceed in washing the hands. This was the opinion of Imaam Maalik, some of jurists from the Hanafi Madh-hab, a narration from Imaam Ahmad, the view of Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn Qayyim. WAllaahu a`lam.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

The sunnah is to wash the hand up till the Mirfaq (elbow) and this is in accordance to the sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah :saw2:. The different narrations like that of `Uthmaan in Bukhaari and Muslim, `Abdullaah ibn Zayd in Bukhaari and Muslim other sahaabah- show that one washes the hand up till the elbows.

As for washing beyond the elbow- then that was the action of Abu Hurairah and not the Prophet :saw2:. This was the understanding of Abu Hurairah with regards to the statement of Prophet :saw2:, when he said (as narrated by Muslim):

إنَّ أُمَّتِي يَأْتُونَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ غُرّاً مُحَجَّلِينَ، مِنْ أَثَرِ الْوُضُوءِ، فَمن اسْتَطَاعَ مِنْكُمْ أَنْ يُطِيلَ غُرَّتَهُ فَلْيَفْعَلْ
"Verily, my Ummah will come on the Day of Judgement with radiant faces, hands and feet- from the traces of Wudoo'. So, if any of you is able to extend his radiance then let him do so"

The understanding of Abu Hurairah with regards to 'extending the radiance' was to wash his hands beyond the elbows. However, what seems to be correct (according to what I was taught) is that one should stick to the sunnah of the Prophet :saw2: and not exceed in washing the hands. This was the opinion of Imaam Maalik, some of jurists from the Hanafi Madh-hab, a narration from Imaam Ahmad, the view of Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn Qayyim. WAllaahu a`lam.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Just a something that crossed my mind, Isn't the understanding of the Sahaabah greater and more accurate than those who were after them. I mean no disrespect to the scholars you mentioned. It's just a question.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Just a something that crossed my mind, Isn't the understanding of the Sahaabah greater and more accurate than those who were after them. I mean no disrespect to the scholars you mentioned. It's just a question.

Yes that's right, far greater. In fact it is a praiseworthy way of thinking that the Sahaabah or the earlier generations had a much better and stronger understanding than later scholars.

The other opinion of washing up till the elbow was the action of a number of Sahaabah as I mentioned

The sunnah is to wash the hand up till the Mirfaq (elbow) and this is in accordance to the sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah . The different narrations like that of `Uthmaan in Bukhaari and Muslim, `Abdullaah ibn Zayd in Bukhaari and Muslim other sahaabah- show that one washes the hand up till the elbows.

The understanding of washing up till the elbows was that of`Uthmaan, `Abdullaah ibn zayd, `Ali and other Sahaabah (which I cannot rememebr at the top of my head and more was llisted by shaykh `Abdullah al-Fawzaan in his Sharh of Buloogh al-Maraam)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

Yes that's right, far greater. In fact it is a praiseworthy way of thinking that the Sahaabah or the earlier generations had a much better and stronger understanding than later scholars.

The other opinion of washing up till the elbow was the action of a number of Sahaabah as I mentioned

The understanding of washing up till the elbows was that of`Uthmaan, `Abdullaah ibn zayd, `Ali and other Sahaabah (which I cannot rememebr at the top of my head and more was llisted by shaykh `Abdullah al-Fawzaan in his Sharh of Buloogh al-Maraam)

It was their "understanding" to wash up till the elbows and not beyond that or is it what they narrated to have observed?

In the Abu Huraira's case, it is clear that he "understood" the words of the Prophet:saw: as he practiced them.

strive-may-i

:salam2:

Finding light, while throwing out something, sometimes its important to ask and make sure why/how it came in...
Out of what you do, most are written and documented. Its the oral/seen practices that's picked up easily, unknowingly, modified and magnified.

It was their "understanding" to wash up till the elbows and not beyond that or is it what they narrated to have observed
Thats a known problem, What if we have practices for which the hadees/narrations have been lost. Its a genuine problem, to be on safer side is the trend. And to pass on whats remaining without further loss or altering to next generation would be our goal. May Allah assist us in this matter... Ameen