Meanings of often used arabic words?

Zynat3

:salam2: dear brothers and sisters

i hope this thread reaches you all in the best of health and imaan.:tti_sister:

i want to learn the meanings of some arabic words that i may use in daily life. i know insha"Allah means if Allah wills and subhan'Allah is a praise to Allah (or i might be wrong, please correct me!) i'm not sure what Alhamdulillah means but i often read/hear it. can anyone please tell me the correct meanings of some arabic words that are commonly used and any arabic words that you use? on the other hand, what does (swt) and (ra) mean in english? i know (saw) means (peace be upon him).

Jazak"allah-khair [<<this means thank you, khair means in good health(?)]

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-

i want to learn the meanings of some arabic words that i may use in daily life. i know insha"Allah means if Allah wills and subhan'Allah is a praise to Allah (or i might be wrong, please correct me!) i'm not sure what Alhamdulillah means but i often read/hear it. can anyone please tell me the correct meanings of some arabic words that are commonly used and any arabic words that you use? on the other hand, what does (swt) and (ra) mean in english? i know (saw) means (peace be upon him).

:salam2:
I also don't know Arabic sister.. and I really wanna learn it...

Here's a link hope it will help http://www.latinodawah.org/library/english/commonterms.html
http://www.linguanaut.com/english_arabic.htm

Alex-

I have only converted to Islam roughly a month ago, so I could be wrong, but as i understand it

inshaallah = if god wills / god willing.
this is usually used if time is a factor, as in I'll see you tomorrow inshalallah.. if Allah wills it.

Subhan'Allah = glory be to god

Alhamdulilah = thanks and praise are due to Allah
(i use this one to thank god for every time i realize a blessing he has given me)

swt means "glorified is he" in english i think.

pbuh is another common one that follows prophets in parentheses, it = peace be upon him.

I haven't seen ra yet.

I cannot post outside links since i don't have the post count. but google "Islamic dictionary". You should find a site near the top that's a search engine for Islamic words.

May your search in knowledge be fruitful.

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
I have only converted to Islam roughly a month ago, so I could be wrong, but as i understand it

inshaallah = if god wills / god willing.
this is usually used if time is a factor, as in I'll see you tomorrow inshalallah.. if Allah wills it.

Subhan'Allah = glory be to god

Alhamdulilah = thanks and praise are due to Allah
(i use this one to thank god for every time i realize a blessing he has given me)

swt means "glorified is he" in english i think.

pbuh is another common one that follows prophets in parentheses, it = peace be upon him.

I haven't seen ra yet.

I cannot post outside links since i don't have the post count. but google "Islamic dictionary". You should find a site near the top that's a search engine for Islamic words.

May your search in knowledge be fruitful.

:salam2:

Congratulations Brother.. MASHALLAH!!

Sister Zohra

Assalamu Alaikum,

on the other hand, what does (swt) and (ra) mean in english?

RA stands for Radiya Allahu Anhu/Anha. It is used whenever a name of a companion of the Prophet is said or written. It means "May Allah be pleased with him/her."

Zynat3

Jazak'Allah-khair sister pearll , sister zohra and brother alex, for your help and the link, i'll check that out and search in google as well. i want to be sure of what i say and the meaning of it. Insha'Allah (god willing) we all be knowledgeable in Islam in every way possible, ameen. Jazak'Allah-khair.

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
Jazak'Allah-khair sister pearll , sister zohra and brother alex, for your help and the link, i'll check that out and search in google as well. i want to be sure of what i say and the meaning of it. Insha'Allah (god willing) we all be knowledgeable in Islam in every way possible, ameen. Jazak'Allah-khair.

INSHALLAH...AMEEN :)