Mecca....

naz haider

Assalam Alaikum everyone...

I was just editing an article for my newspaper. The article is about Panchgani, a hill station and tourist spot in Maharashtra, India. Now the heading (title) of the article is 'Mecca of Maharashtra'. This did not go down well with me. Mecca is a holy place for us... how can I use it for a mere tourist spot.
Using Mecca as a phrase is very common. Paris is called the Mecca of Fashion.... and many such.
Is it ok to use Mecca so nonchalantly??

Abu Talib

Feeling low
yes Mecca in dictionary has a different meaning thats why when you go to saudi arabia you would find they write Makkah every where.

sunnyhayat

Still trying to increas Imaan
Assalam Alaikum everyone...

I was just editing an article for my newspaper. The article is about Panchgani, a hill station and tourist spot in Maharashtra, India. Now the heading (title) of the article is 'Mecca of Maharashtra'. This did not go down well with me. Mecca is a holy place for us... how can I use it for a mere tourist spot.
Using Mecca as a phrase is very common. Paris is called the Mecca of Fashion.... and many such.
Is it ok to use Mecca so nonchalantly??

yes it is a lovely pace, I was there just last weeek. But calling it by the holiest name would be wrong. Mekkah is Mekkah nothing can replace it. we can call it paradise on earth but not jannat as that also is holy world with special place in oll of us afterlifves

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

mecca = place of wines
mekkah or makkah is the real spelling
mecca usually used to signify centre of something like u rightly said paris mecca of fashion ,
even iin this sense u r righ t because the title seems out of place for the subject in question

naz haider

:salam2:

Jazak Allahu Khairun for all your replies.... I gather that using Mecca is not really wrong, as our holy place is Makkah and not Mecca (though both words sound similar). Anyways, I would take the safe way out and avoid using that word.

:salam2:

weakslave

Its obvious where the word has its origins. I don't know, personally I don't feel anything special when people use the word out of the Islamic context. Ka'bah, now that's a different story.