Medical Challenge

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
I have always been intrigued with medicine. I wish I had chosen to be a doctor. Don't you? Well lets have this opportunity to play a game where we can also gain medical knowledge so we can feel like doctors :) Winner gets a TTI MD degree!

Rules:

1. You can pick any disease or medical test or even a drug. As long as it begins with the last letter of the previous entry.

2. Do some research and tell us about it. If its a disease, include signs and symptoms, prognosis (can it get better and go away or does it get worse), and treatment (if possible).

3. Include pictures if you can.

Thats all :)

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
I'll start with the first one.

Achondroplasia

A form of dwarfism. Achondraplasia is a genetic disease with autosomal dominant transmission. That means that a parent who is a carrier needs to only pass along one of 2 genes that they carry on their chromosomes. According to Wikipedia, "the disorder itself is caused by a change in the DNA for fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3), which causes an abnormality of cartilage formation." Alhumdillah, theres no evidence for this disease to get worse, so patients can live normal and healthy lives. Signs include short stature due to non-growth of the long bones, but normal skull and torso. Unfortunately, this disease has no cure or treatment. Some patients attempt to increase their height by surgically lengthening their long bones.

achondroplasia_littleguy.jpg

Next letter is A

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Aase Syndrome

From wiki:
"Aase syndrome or Aase-Smith syndrome is a rare inherited disorder characterized by anemia with some joint and skeletal deformities. Aase syndrome is thought to be an autosomal recessive inherited disorder.[1] The genetic basis of the disease is not known. The anemia is caused by underdevelopment of the bone marrow, which is where blood cells are formed.

Symptoms:

Mildly slowed growth
Pale skin
Delayed closure of fontanelles (soft spots)
Narrow shoulders
Triple jointed thumbs, absent or small knuckles, decreased skin creases at finger joints
Deformed ears"

All this makes me sad a little bit. I don't want to post, or even look at a picture of this type of disease.

Next letter is E
:)

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Good Job sister!!! :) I'm happy to see someone pitching in....remember, you posting something can shed light and perhaps help prevent these problems. You helped me learn something new today JizakiAllah Khairun

I had this one growing up:

Epiglottitis

The epiglottis is a piece of stiff, yet flexible tissue (called cartilage) at the back of the tongue. It closes your windpipe (trachea) when you swallow so food does not enter your airways. This helps prevent coughing or choking after swallowing. Swelling of the epiglottis is usually caused by the bacteria Haemophilus influenzae (H. influenzae). It may also be caused by other bacteria or viruses related to upper respiratory infections. Epiglottitis is now very uncommon, because the H. influenzae type B (Hib) vaccine is a routine childhood immunization. The disease was once most often seen in children ages 2 - 6. Rarely, epiglottitis can occur in adults.

Symptoms include abnormal breathing sounds, chills and shaking, drooling, hoarseness and difficulty swallowing.

Moms and dads listen up!!! this is a medical emergency. Please do not try to examine child's throat at home. You must take your child to the Emergency Department ASAP! Doctors will quickly put a breathing tube to secure the airway. Treatment is antibiotics to kill the bacteria, steroids to lower the swelling, and IV fluids.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001630/

parent_epiglo.gif

The next letter is S

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Sleep Apnea

I also have this problem, and now I actually got to learn so much more about it.

"Sleep apnoea is a sleep disorder characterized by abnormal pauses in breathing or instances of abnormally low breathing, during sleep. Each pause in breathing, called an apnea, can last from a few seconds to minutes, and may occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour.[1] Similarly, each abnormally low breathing event is called a hypopnea. Sleep apnea is diagnosed with an overnight sleep test called a polysomnogram, or "sleep study". "

"The complications of obstructive sleep apnea include high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, automobile accidents, and daytime sleepiness as well as difficulty concentrating, thinking and remembering."

230PX-~1.PNG

Lol, I guess it's just the two of us playing.

Next letter is A, again.

:)

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Acromegaly

An overgrowth of tissue throughout the whole body due to overproduction of growth hormone. It is usually caused by a cancer of the pituitary gland. This cancer is called pituitary adenoma. Patients usually notice that they can't fit in their shoes or hats or even rings. (that means a new abaya every month!...I'm guessing) PAtients also complain of deepening of voice their tongue gets bigger. Doctors usually screen for this disease by looking at the levels of a hormone(?) called insulin-like growth factor. Treatment includes surgery on the brain tumor or medications such as Dostenix is given.

sandy_allen2.jpg
Wow!

The next letter is Y

Karima80

Yellow fever
It is caused by a virus belonging to the family Flaviviridae. It is an acute viral hemorrhagic disease. It is transmitted by the bite of female mosquitos in tropical and subtropical areas in South America and Africa. Symptoms are fever, headache, chills, back pain, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting. The incubation period is three to six days. In 15% of the cases sufferers enter a second toxic phase of the disease with recurring fever this time accompanied by jaundice due to liver damage, as well as abdominal pain. Bleeding in the mouth, the eyes, and the gastrointestinal tract will cause vomitus containing blood. The toxic phase is fatal in approximately 20% of cases.
Prevention is vaccination. (Source Wikipedia)

The next letter is R

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Rett Disorder

A neurodevelopmental disorder of the grey matter of the brain that almost exclusively affects females. The clinical features include small hands and feet and a deceleration of the rate of head growth . Repetitive stereotyped hand movements, such as wringing and/or repeatedly putting hands into the mouth, are also noted.[3] People with Rett syndrome are prone to gastrointestinal disorders and up to 80% have seizures.They typically have no verbal skills, and about 50% of individuals affected are not ambulatory. Scoliosis, growth failure, and constipation are very common and can be problematic. Development appears to be normal until 6–18 months. During this time there are subtle developmental deviations and early indicators of Rett syndrome. At around 6–18 months there is a period of developmental stagnation followed by a developmental regression where language and motor milestones regress, purposeful hand use is lost, and acquired deceleration in the rate of head growth (resulting in microcephaly in some) is seen. Hand stereotypes are typical, and breathing irregularities such as hyperventilation, breathholding, or sighing are seen in many. Early on, autistic-like behavior may be seen. The infant with Rett syndrome often avoids detection until 6–18 months, owing to a relatively normal appearance and some developmental progress. However, closer scrutiny reveals disturbance of the normal spontaneous limb and body movements that are thought to be regulated in the brainstem. The brief period of developmental progress is followed by stagnation and regression of previously acquired skills. During regression, some features are similar to those of autism. It is, hence, easy to mistakenly diagnose Rett syndrome for autism. [wiki]

Unfortunately theres no cure for this disease, but treatment can be done to prevent cardiac, gastrointestinal, back problems.

Alyssa.jpg
Kids are soooooooooo cute!!!:ma::SMILY252:

Seeing this little cute kid makes me miss my baby cousins :( I haven't been able to reach my family in Syria...I don't know if they're dead or refugees. InshaAllah they're safe.

The next letter is R

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Raynaud's Phenomenon

"Raynaud’s phenomenon is a vasospastic disorder causing discoloration of the fingers, toes, and occasionally other areas. This condition can also cause nails to become brittle with longitudinal ridges. Named for French physician Maurice Raynaud (1834–1881), the phenomenon is believed to be the result of vasospasms that decrease blood supply to the respective regions. Emotional stress and cold are classic triggers of the phenomenon.

The condition can cause pain within the affected extremities, discoloration (paleness) and sensations of cold and/or numbness. This can often be distressing to those who are not diagnosed, and sometimes it can be obstructive. If someone with Raynaud’s is placed in too cold a climate, it could potentially become dangerous.

Symptoms:

The symptoms include several cyclic color changes:
When exposed to cold temperatures, the blood supply to the fingers or toes, and in some cases the nose or earlobes, is markedly reduced; the skin turns pale or white (called pallor), and becomes cold and numb.
When the oxygen supply is depleted, the skin colour turns blue (called cyanosis).
These events are episodic, and when the episode subsides or the area is warmed, the blood flow returns and the skin colour first turns red (rubor), and then back to normal, often accompanied by swelling, tingling, and a painful “pins and needles” sensation."

17127.jpg

Next letter is N

Adrian

I have always been intrigued with medicine. I wish I had chosen to be a doctor. Don't you? Well lets have this opportunity to play a game where we can also gain medical knowledge so we can feel like doctors :) Winner gets a TTI MD degree!

Rules:

1. You can pick any disease or medical test or even a drug. As long as it begins with the last letter of the previous entry.

2. Do some research and tell us about it. If its a disease, include signs and symptoms, prognosis (can it get better and go away or does it get worse), and treatment (if possible).

3. Include pictures if you can.

Thats all :)

this thread seems interesting since I'm just starting as a doc. ty