Muslim Musuem in Jackson, Mississippi

loveislam1

Asalam alikoum wa rahmatallah
The thread about the man who saved the Quran from the library after the civil war got me thinking about this museum I heard about a few months ago in Mississippi, has anyone ever been there or heard anything about it, if so could you share your experiences?

http://www.muslimmuseum.org/

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
This is the first time that I've heard of this museum. Inshallah, I will make plans to stop there this April, on my way to visit relatives in Louisiana. From the amount of info on their website, it doesn't look as if it is very extensive. For visitors or others interested, I would recommend visiting the Smithsonian Museum of Art in Washington D.C.

Mashalla! I saw many, many beautiful examples of Islamic art in that museum complex. Truly wonderful, worth the visit.

Sorry, wandering again. Inshallah, I'll have more about this museum in MS next month.

loveislam1

Asalam Alikoum

Great! Tell me your experiences when you get a chance to go Inshallah!!

Inshallah I would love to go to the smithsonian in DC... oddly enough I went on a class trip in high school to Washington DC for a week, we spent 2 of those 5 days in the Holocaust museum, (amn have they put a lot of work into THAT museum!) and only a couple hours at BOTH the Smithsonians!

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
I've been to D.C. alot. I'm a museum junkie. I really feel bad that you had to spend so much time in the holocaust museum. What a truly depressing place. I guess that is the point of it. You could spend weeks there and never really see everything.

loveislam1

Asalam Alikoum
Yes it was so sad, I was crying through out the entire time I was there, they really had ALOT of memorabelia and pictures, shoes , suitcases, glasses personal items it was so real the museum was even dark and cold the ambiance certainly adds to the overall mood.

But I also am sad about one more thing lets just take for example the cambodians who suffered in the millions (6-7) just in 1970's they dont even get recognition about it let alone a museum, sure they got a movie "the killing fields, but in comparison what made that event more important then thiers?

I always wondered why is one tragedy more important that another? More importantly I also dont like how it is used as a politcal leverage (the suffering of the holocaust) to cover what is being done to the Palestinians, so while I was horribly upset for what they went through I am more upset about how the kuffar use that as an oppurtunity to cover other atrocities in the world being committed. May ALLAH give victory to the opressed ameen.:tti_sister:

I would lvoe to have the time to go to museums and travel more. I miss it..

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

Thank you, sister loveislam1, for starting this thread. It's nice to see that some Muslims are taking positive steps to remove the common misconceptions about Islam in the West.

I hope that this Islamic Museum will succeed in its mission.

Regards,

Bluegazer

loveislam1

Asalam Alikoum
JAK for getting the thread back on track my apologies I rambble off topic a lot!
Ameen to your dua' I hope that it encourages other communties to start similiar museums in thier areas.

I've been to D.C. alot. I'm a museum junkie. I really feel bad that you had to spend so much time in the holocaust museum. What a truly depressing place. I guess that is the point of it. You could spend weeks there and never really see everything.

I live in DC, the Museums are okay, not that great. I just don't know about the articrafts, paintings, antiquities, because I think they steal it from other countries (not all but some). For example, I mean Baghdad, Iraq was one of the most precious Arab countries and had alot of history to it. The West destroyed all their museums and history and I would not be suprised if the West hid some of those things or displayed it in their museums, so they can take credit. They want the Muslims to forget their history then they would perhaps want to take credit for like a painting or invention, etc for themselves.

I am not recommending that you should not go, but it's just something relative to me and something to consider. Then again, part of Islam is to be educated and gain as much knowledge.

walaakum salaam

loveislam1

Wa alikoum asalam
I also heard that about Iraq, la howell la qawatta illah billah atheem.
Can you give any information about what was detroyed? Where when, what was there? I would like to know :girl3:

salaamalikum,

I will need some time and try to find this information about Iraq's museums antiquities being stolen by the West. Good places is to check the actual museums sites (i.e. Smithsonian).