Names mattar?

tolgatemur

I see many people who has their own cultural names.

Should people change their names when they accepted their Islam.

Say. if Michaul Jacson accept islam should he change his name Mustafa?

poetic

mrs aisha b
Yes, someone embracing islam eg; convert should change their name to a muslim name ..even if your name did not have a bad meaning it is better to be recognized in the muslim community with a muslim name, and to non-muslims TOO.. the name should have a good meaning to it.. its not something you HAVE to do, its recomended though

The only time you HAVE to is if it is bad name like the person said above
but you have to think how can it be good if it was the name given to you as a christian,jew ect before islam.. right?

ama6621

Assalamu Alaikum

What does it mean to have a muslim name? In many Islamic countries, muslims have names that are just some words in Arabic. For example, my name is in the Arabic language (I am a muslim by birth) but it does not have any Islamic meaning. Others have names that could mean anything nice like beautiful, trustworthy, brave etc. How why should a revert brother/sister change his/her name that is not contrary to the teaching of Islam?

Do all muslims need to have Arabic names? No! We are a global community and Islam is for every country, race and creed. We are diverse but unified in our worship of Allah SWT.

I am not advocating that a revert should NOT change his name. I am just saying that there is should not be an emphasis to change a harmless name.

Assalamu Alaikum

muthmainnah

Assalamu'alaikum

How a new Muslim should change his name

Q: I was given the name Tyrone Anthony Parker at birth by my non-muslims parents. After taking shahada, I changed my name to Bilaal Faaruwq Abdus-Salaam. I have recently found out that I shouldn't have left my family name and I plan on returning to it. If my parents tell me to return to my given name (Tyrone-has pagan origins ; Anthony-means flourishing) do I have to do it?

A:
Praise be to Allaah.

For the one whom Allaah has guided to Islam, it is sufficient for him to choose an Islamic first name for himself and to keep his father’s name or surname, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not command the Sahaabah to change their fathers’ and grandfathers’ names when they embraced Islam. However, he did change the first names of those who had names with forbidden or undesirable meanings. Because your first name has pagan origins, your changing it to another name, such as Bilaal, is proper and correct. But you should keep the rest of your name and surname as it is; this will please your parents. May Allah guide them, and may He give us and you strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

tolgatemur

Selam Aleyküm,

Changing a name is nothing practicaly to do with the religion Islam then. It is matter of personal choice whic doesnt related to our belief.. whic expres ourshelf.

I am in a muslim society in which majority of the muslim people do not have a name like arab names on the other word as you call Islamic names. I dont understan what ever Islamic names means. Names in islam history? of solely Arabic names?

i am a Turkish muslim born person. My first name (the name traditionaly given before the real name) is Muhiddin (probably an arabic name) . Now my name is Tolga (pronouncuated like Toll +ga) which means war helm given me to expres myshelf strong and saviour of weak. And my brother names is Volkan whic mean volcan. i think there is no problem in my and my brothers name

Yet in the past history book. We see many muslim carring their own cultural name. Alp arslan, Temur han, Ertugrul gazi, Izzettin Keykavus (probably persian name).

Thanks for your ideas