new born baby

Abu.Amirah

:salam2:

Could anyone please share/advice why when a baby is born Kuhl is painted on their faces or tie a black string/thread on their hands.....is there any evidence in islam about this?

Please advice...

Jazakallahu kheir!!

zainsmommy

Assalamu Aleikom

I too wondered about this very thing once when someone told me to do this when my son was born. I immediately thought that this is not right and did some research about it.

It is MY belief that this is strictly a cultural practice that, like MANY MANY other things, has somehow merged into Islam along the way by tradition. Culture and Islam should never be mixed because sometimes, like in this case, people ACTUALLY BELIEVE that this is an Islamic thing.

This is why it is important for Muslims to stick strictly to the Quran and Sunnah and forbid that which has no basis in Islam. By the younger generation following blindly what they were told or by a whole group of people putting great emphasis on culture/tradition and allowing it to seep into their lives, causes great harm to Islam.

I found this(had it saved in a folder) and I hope it helps and is what you were talking about. If not, I apologize.(not sure where I found this but if you do a quick search on the internet you will find many things on it)

Lesson 6: To Wear a Ring, Twine, or anything Similar for Protection From or Removal of Harm or Affliction, is an act of Shirk
Allah said:

"Say: Tell me then, the things that you invoke besides Allah, - if Allah intended some harm for me, could they remove His harm, or if He [Allah] intended some mercy for me, could they withhold His Mercy? Say: Sufficient for me is Allah; in Him those who trust [i.e. believers] must put their trust" . (Quran 39:38)

Imran ibn Husain narrated:

The Prophet, once saw a man with a brass ring on his hand and asked him, "What is this?" The man replied, "To overcome the weakness of old age." He said, "Remove it, for, it can only add to your weakness. Should death overtake you while you are wearing it, you would never succeed." (Ahmad)

He also recorded in a Marfu Hadith (tradition traced to the Prophet, himself): Uqbah ibn Aamir narrated that Prophet Muhammad (saas), said:

"Whoever wears a talisman or an amulet would never see his wish fulfilled by Allah. And whoever hangs a sea-shell would never get peace and rest."

In another version the Prophet, is reported to have said: "Whoever wears a talisman has committed Shirk."

Ibn Abi Hatim reported about Hudhaifah: He saw a man with a piece of twine on his hand (as protection or cure from fever) so he cut the twine and read the Ayah:

"Most of them believe in Allah and still practice shirk [polytheism]". (Quran 12:106)
Important points of the Lesson

It is strictly forbidden to wear rings, twines and the like seeking protection.

If, even the Companions had died wearing such a thing, would not have succeeded (in the Hereafter). This is a confirmation to the statement of the Companions that minor Shirk is greater (worse) than major sins.

Ignorance is no excuse.

Wearing any such article will not benefit this life. Indeed, it is harmful as was stated by the Prophet, "It will do nothing except increase your weakness."

The intense disapproval and censure of whoever does such a deed.

The declaration that whoever attaches something to himself will have that thing put in charge of him.

The declaration that whoever wears an amulet has committed Shirk.

Hudhaifahs reciting the Ayah of Quran is a clear proof that Companions used to recite the Ayah dealing with the major Shirk to condemn minor Shirk. Ibn Abbas did so, by reciting the Ayah from Surah al-Baqarah.(Quran 2:165)

Seeking cure from fever or relief from evil eye by using talisman, amulets etc. is Shirk.

Curse is upon those who use amulets, that their wishes should not be granted by Allah and those who use shells will neither get rest nor peace. That is, Allah has left them.

Allahu Alim

Abu.Amirah

tradition superstition.. stop wasting your time on this stuff.

:salam2:

BigAK it could be a waste of time to you but its important to know about it.Shirk is not sumthing small for us to ignore its a major sin and may Allah keep us far away from associating Him with other things.
Why I asked this question its because this is being practiced in our societies and if we dont correct them who will?
I have asked several people about this and what they tell me is that its sunnah to protect a child from evil eyes( SUNNAH -they like using this word not knowing what sunnah means) and when I asked them of any aya or hadith they dont know.The will say ...we saw our parents doing it to us and we are doing it to our children as well...and the chain will go on and on.

Zainsmommy...shukran for the lessons and yeah I did find all those hadiths but was not sure if I was on the same track.

Jazakallahu kheir!!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
All I know is that its sunnah to say the azan in the baby's ear, and feed it a chewed date. And there was a scientific reasoning that a new born baby's ear tubes are in a very soft condition, the mention of the word "Allah" in the ear is the perfect sound with travels through the ear and sort of solidifies the baby's ear tubes.

Subhan Allah!

Abu.Amirah

Just sharing......

Name of Questioner
daniele - Italy

Title
Welcoming a New-born Baby

Question
Dear scholars, As-Salaam `Alaykum. What is supposed to be done when a child is born? My wife is pregnant with twin girls, and we don't know exactly what the rituals are associated with birth (head-shaving, singing Adhan, etc.) could you please help? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Date
25/Jun/2002

Name of Counsellor
Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid

Topic
Pregnancy & newborns

Answer

Wa`alykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing keenness on knowing the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations.

With regard to your question, Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, gave the following Fatwa:

“Here are the Prophetic acts recommended for welcoming the newborn:

1-Tahneek (putting sweet thing in the mouth of the newborn) and praying for the newborn:

Abu Musa, may Allah be pleased with him, narrates: "A son was born to me, and I took him to the Prophet who named him Ibrahim, did Tahneek for him with a date, invoked Allah to bless him, then he returned him back to me.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.)‏

We should pray to Allah to bless the new baby and make him or her among the righteous so that raising them as pious servants of Allah will weigh in the balance of one's good deeds, because Allah’s Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him, is quoted as saying: “When the son of Adam dies, all his good deeds come to an end, except for three things: Sadaqah Jaariyah (ongoing charity), beneficial knowledge, and a righteous son who prays for him.” (Narrated by Al-Bukhari, 5150; Muslim, 2145).

`A'ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, is quoted to have said: "The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him) did `Aqeeqah (welcoming feast) for Al-Hasan and Al-Husayn on the seventh day, and gave them names." (Narrated by Ibn Hibban, 12/127; Al-Hakim, 4/264. Classed as Saheeh by Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath Al-Bari, 9/589).

2-Naming:

The baby should be given a good name when born. For further information about the Islamic guidance on naming the children, we recommend you to read the following fatwa: Islamic Guidance in Choosing Names .

3-`Aqeeqah and circumcision:

It is reported on the authority of Salman Ibn `Amir, may Allah be pleased with him, that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “For the boy there should be an `Aqeeqah. Slaughter (an animal) for him and remove the harmful thing [i.e. the foreskin] from him.” (Narrated by At-Tirmidhi, 1515; An-Nasa'i, 4214; Abu Dawood, 2839; Ibn Majah, 3164. The Hadith was reckoned as Saheeh (authentic) by Al-Albani, may Allah have mercy on him, in Al-Irwa’, 4/396).

It is reported that Samurah Ibn Jundub, may Allah be pleased with him, quotes the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying: “A boy is ransomed by his `Aqeeqah. Sacrifice should be made for him on the seventh day, he should be given a name and his head should be shaved.” (Narrated by At-Tirmidhi, 1522; An-Nasaa'i, 4220 and Abu Dawood, 2838. The Hadith is classed as Saheeh by Al-Albani, may Allah have mercy on him, in Al-Irwaa’ 4/385).

Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim, may Allah have mercy on him, states: "Among the benefits of `Aqeeqah are:

a-It is a sacrifice by means of which the child is brought close to Allah soon after he comes into this world.
b-It is a ransom for the newborn so that he or she can intercede for his parents.
c-It is a sacrifice by which the newborn is ransomed just as Allah ransomed Isma`eel with the ram. (Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 69)."
d-Perhaps another benefit of the `Aqeeqah is the gathering of relatives and friends for the Waleemah (feast).

As for circumcision, it is part of the Sunan Al-Fitrah (practices akin to the true nature of people). It is obligatory in the case of boys because it is connected to matters of purity, which are essential conditions of prayer.
Abu Hurayrah narrates: “Five things are related to the Fitrah: circumcision, shaving the pubic hair, plucking the armpit hair, cutting the nails, and trimming the moustache.” (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari, 5550; Muslim, 257).

4-Reciting the Adhan into the baby’s right ear:

This is done so that the first thing he hears in this world will be the words of Tawheed. As for Iqamah (commencement-prayer call) into the baby's left ear, there is no authentic Hadiths to prove it. (See As-Silsilah al-Da`eefah, 1/491).

5-Shaving the baby's head then anointing it with saffron:

After doing this, it is recommended to give to charity gold or silver equal in weight to the baby's hair. This does not have to be done by actually weighing the hair; if it is too difficult to do that, it is sufficient to estimate the weight and give paper currency equivalent to the price of that amount of gold or silver.

We pray to Allah to protect us and our children from all evils and to keep them safe and sound in this world and in the Hereafter."

Allah Almighty knows best.

yameenahmed

i think it is a tradition in your place but i can guarntee you that its shirk because its not practiced in islam brother ..............

Almeftah

السلام عليكم

I have to agree with Brother yameenahmed..

It may be a tradition to have Kuhl painted on their faces or tie a black string/thread on their hands..

But this kind of tradition is Bid'a and could be Shirk (almost disbelief).
because from what i know.. people who do that believe it keeps evil away from babies.

Abu.Amirah

:wasalam:

Yes I agree with u both....even if its traditional but at the end of the day wen u ask them they will say its for protecting the child from evil eyes and as for this its shirk. I will try to ask the scholars for more answers inshaAllah and will post it here.

Jazakallahu kheir!!