NO CURSES, NO OMENS.

Afthab

In the name of allah...

NO CURSES, NO OMENS.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) always wanted the upliftment of the people from ignorance and gross superstition and he never wanted to exploit their weakness. This incident will endorse it anyway: Rafiu (May God be pleased with his deeds) reports: I was with God’s Messenger (peace be upon him) one night, and I brought him water and whatever he required. He said to me: Ask (anything you like). I said: I ask your company in Paradise. He (the Prophet) said: or anything else besides it. I said: That is all (what I require). He said: Then help me to achieve this for you by devoting yourself often to prostration. Muslim 990.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) told Rafiu (May God be pleased with his deeds) to request him for anything, having in mind a wish to reward him with some worldly thing as an appreciation of his work in providing water for ablution. But Rafiu’s request was diagonally opposite to the apostle’s guess. And Rafiu would have also been satisfied. It would have been easy to say if the Prophet (peace be upon him) had not been the Messenger of God and if there were no Hereafter.

But the Prophet (peace be upon him) believed that everyone as slave of God would have to appear before God on the Day of Judgement, and he was the Messenger of God. To make some one the owner of Heaven or Hell is not in the hands of the Prophet (peace be upon him). The power to make anyone enter into the Heaven or Hell solely lies with God alone. That’s why the Prophet (peace be upon him) told Rafiu to ask for something else.

When the Prophet (peace be upon him) noticed the stubbornness in Abu Rafiu for entering into Paradise with the Messenger, he said, “ You can’t enter Paradise just because you served me water. It would indeed be possible to enter Paradise only when you fulfil the obligatory duties ordained by God and earn the love of God by your noble conduct.” Leave alone a common worker. He admonished his kith and kin and the beloved ones in the same degree. He gathered all his relatives and addressed to them, “ You can ask me all the wealth I have. I will give it to you right away. But I cannot protect you from God’s Judgement. Your own righteous deeds alone can protect you from the punishment of God.” The Prophet said, “O Bani ‘Abd Munaf! Buy yourselves from God; O Bani ‘Abdul-Muttalib! Buy yourselves from God; O mother of Az-Zubair bin Al-Awwam (May God be pleased with her deeds) , the aunt of God’s Apostle, and O Fatima bint Muhammad (May God be pleased with her deeds) ! Buy yourselves from God, for I cannot defend you before God. You (both) can ask me from my property as much as you like.” Narrated by Abu Huraira (May God be pleased with his deeds) Buhari 4.728

We witness these days people adore, honour and respect even those that are honoured by their favourite spiritual leader. He has said that nobody becomes good by his ancestry or progeny. Even his own inheritors can become good only by their individual righteous behaviour. Whether the spiritual leaders can bring us good or not, it can definitely bring us harm if one gains the anger of these leaders! This is how these men have made people believe. “Are you not obeying me. Lo ! Be you cursed” says the cunning or totally ignorant spiritual leader. And people believe him or her.

These cunning spiritual leaders molest women. And warn them “ If you disclose I will curse you. You will be doomed.” Poor women believe it and fume and fret in silence. They cheat and rob money from people. If they are questioned they say that they will curse them.

They fix an exorbitant charge for conducting special prayers of their own fancy to position the devout aloft. But nothing happens and people are yet afraid of questioning them. It is just a matter of common sense. People simply don’t bother to think that nothing can happen by the curse of these crooks. And the cunning spiritual leaders take advantage of the foolish attitude of ignorant mass.

There is a general opinion about spiritual leaders all over the world. Even among the Muslims there is a common fright of Badhwa, meaning curse. These impostors deceive many people with the so-called curse. The greatest spiritual leader, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the only man who eradicated this evil. The Prophet has also shattered the toughest shields of the impostors. God’s Apostle (peace be upon him) said: I am a human being and I have made this term with my Lord, the Exalted and Glorious: For any servant amongst Muslims whom I curse or scold, make that a source of purity and reward. Narrated byJabir ibn Abdullah (May God be pleased with his deeds) Muslim 6296

Two persons visited God’s Apostle (peace be upon him) and both of them talked about a thing, of which I am not aware, but that annoyed him and he invoked curse upon both of them and hurled malediction, and when they went out I said: God’s Apostle (peace be upon him), the good would reach everyone but it would not reach these two. He said: Why so? I said: Because you have invoked curse and hurled malediction upon both of them. He said: Don’t you know that I have made condition with my Lord saying thus: O God, I am a human being and that for a Muslim upon whom I invoke curse or hurl malediction make it a source of purity and reward. Narrated by Aisha (May God be pleased with her deeds) Muslim 6285

There was an orphan girl living with Umm Sulaym (who was the mother of Anas). God’s Apostle (peace be upon him) saw that orphan girl and said: O, it is you; you have grown young. May you not advance in years! The slave-girl returned to Umm Sulaym (May God be pleased with her deeds) , weeping. Umm Sulaym said: O daughter, what is the matter with you? She said: God’s Apostle (peace be upon him) has invoked a curse upon me that I should not grow in age and thus I shall never grow in age, or she said, in my (length) of life. Umm Sulaym went out, having hurriedly wrapped her head in a shawl, to meet God’s Apostle (peace be upon him). He said to her: Umm Sulaym, what is the matter with you? She said: God’s Apostle (peace be upon him) , you invoked a curse upon my orphan girl. He said: Umm Sulaym, what is that? She said: She (the orphan girl) states you have cursed her, saying that she might not grow in age or grow in (length of) life. God’s Apostle (peace be upon him) smiled and then said: Umm Sulaym, don’t you know that I have made this stipulation with my Lord. And the stipulation with my Lord is that I said to Him: I am a human being and I am pleased just as a human being is pleased and I lose temper just as a human being loses his temper. So for any person from amongst my Ummah, whom I curse and he in no way deserves it, let that, O Lord, be made a source of purification, purity and nearness to (God) on the Day of Resurrection.Muslim 6297

That he heard the Prophet saying, “O God! If I should ever abuse a believer, please let that be a means of bringing him near to You on the Day of Resurrection.” Buhari 8.372

The Prophet (peace be upon him) not only said, “ Nobody should be afraid of my curse,” but he also said that his curse will only end in Good. There has been no such great men in history like Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) with such an honest, daring and clear argument. The Prophet (peace be upon him) clears the fear and doubts of those who passed drastic comments against him and those who were strong critics.

I heard God’s Messenger (peace be upon him) say in the company of his Companions: I would be on the Cistern waiting for those who would be coming to me from amongst you. By God, some persons would be prevented from coming to me, and I would say: My Lord, they are my followers and people of my Ummah. And He would say: You don’t know what they did after you; they had been constantly turning back on their heels (from their religion). Muslim 5685

The Prophet said, “You will be gathered (on the Day of Judgment), bare-footed, naked and not circumcised.” He then recited: “As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it: A Promise We have undertaken: Truly we shall do it.” (21.104) He added, “The first to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection, will be Abraham, and some of my companions will be taken towards the left side (i.e. to the (Hell) Fire), and I will say: ‘My companions! My companions!’ It will be said: ‘They renegade from Islam after you left them.’ Then I will say as the Pious slave of God (i.e. Jesus) said, ‘And I was a witness Over them while I dwelt amongst them. When You took me up You were the Watcher over them, And You are a witness to all things. If You punish them. They are Your slaves And if You forgive them, Verily you, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.’ (5.120-121)” Buhari 4.568.