One question

shemna

Assalamualikum all,

I just wanted to get answer to one of my doubt.
Most common naming method among muslims is names like Abdul Rahman , Abdul Rahim etc(to reflect that He is a Slave of ALLAH). But other people used to call them by their second name, which is actually a name of ALLAH( for example A person with name 'Abdul Rahim' is generally called simply by the name 'Rahim').
Is it a SIN even if we are intending that 'Rahim' is just for addressing only?

Regards
Shemna

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu Alaikum:)

well, I dont know the answer to your question:( but since you are new I wanted to say welcome to TTI and to the family:D:D:D:D
I hope someone answers it for you inshaAllah:D:D:D
Allah hafiz now and always:D:D

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Sorry, don't know the answer either, but welcome. And I know exactly what you mean - I am a teacher and I have classes with multiple kids with the same name, so they all get nick-names (I had one class that had 4 AbdulAziz's in it - one was AbdulAziz, one was Aziz, one was Azooz, and the last was Abzoozoo). I had 5 Mohammad's in one class a few year's ago - 1 was Mohammad A, 1 was Mo, 1 was Hamad, 1 was Hamoudi, and the last was Mohammad B (A and B were for their last names, not one being better than the other). Note - I didn't give the kdis the nicknames, they had just gone to school together long enough that they kinda came up with them on their own.

I have the same problem with Yousef's, but it very hard to find nicknames for Yousef.

As far as Abdul-names (in my experience), AbdulRahman tends to become Hamani, AbdulAziz becomes Aziz, AbdulWahab became Wahabi, AbdulHadi becomes Hadi, AbdulHamid is just Hamid, Abdulatif tends to stay Abdulatif (don't know what the meaning is or if Atif is just not a good nickname), and AbdulMohsen becomes just Mohsen.

I would love to hear what a more learned brother or sister could say about this phenomenon.

ezireg

The answer is in the arabic langage for instance el aziz is ALLAH el means THE in english so if you say el rahmam *(The rahman you mean ALLAH)
Just like ALLAH AL (THE) LAH (GOD) the GOD the one and only

And allahu alam

Amir_of_spain

The answer is very simple. It is ok to use the 2nd part (Aziz) without attaching the previx (Abdul) although it is better to say the full name with the previx Abdul-Aziz. The reason why this is allowed to just say Aziz, is because now we are using this attribute only in a human sense, and there is no harm in that. When we use Abdul aziz , here we are linking the name and its attribute in a divine sense. So when you take into context both is ok. However, it is more appriopriate to say the fullname as it is a noble title compared to just saying it as in a nickname which then neglects the title and the name just becomes plain and no longer unique.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
i think u have good question.

as per my knowledge, u can keep name "raheem' but not 'rahman'.

so if ur name is abdul-rahman ans somebody is calling u rahman, maybe its not permitted.

and the worst could be for abdullah. some ppl write abdAllah and the ignorant non-muslim can call u Allah (Allah forbid!).

shemna

i think u have good question.

as per my knowledge, u can keep name "raheem' but not 'rahman'.

so if ur name is abdul-rahman ans somebody is calling u rahman, maybe its not permitted.

and the worst could be for abdullah. some ppl write abdAllah and the ignorant non-muslim can call u Allah (Allah forbid!).

All are ALLAH'a name rt? Then how did you differentiate 'Raheem' and Rahman'?

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
no, we should not call, any person as raheem, or matheen, or rahman, or majid, because all these are allahs name...and if we intend these names to allah, then we get reward, and if we intend these name to humans, then this will be kind of a sin

BinteShafi

Left long ago
:salam2:

Raheem means merciful. A person (human) can be Raheem (merciful) towards other creation.

Rehman: Constantly Merciful...There is no beginning or ending of this trait of Allah SWT. A human can not be constantly merciful towards other creation. This trait only belongs to Allah not to human. So a human can never be Rehman but Abdul Rehman.

And Allah knows the best.

:wasalam:

shemna

Thank you so much for your replies.

Lets us pray to Almighty that,
Ya ALLAH, don't let us get punished for what we are doing with ignorance.