Perfumes

Abu.Amirah

Assalamu aleikum,

I need some advice inshallah.

A friend went to Dubai and came back and he gave me a bottle of perfume as a gift.The make was BOSS as i read behind the box I saw that it contain Alcohol. To my knowledge this is not allowed but please if anyone could advice more on this issue. I dont wanna tell him or return it back as I know one cannot return a gift back so please which way can i advice him about this? :SMILY176:

Jazakallahu kheir.

Arshad

Perfumes with Alcohol

I am not sure but I think that I have heard it from many knowledgeable learneds that. As Alcohol is highly volatile it does not remain with the fragrence moments after it is applied, hence it can be used.
The other thing is that You are forbidden from drinking alcohol as an intoxicant.
Then we have the spirits too which are also a simillar product but we are allowed to use it for disinfection and other medical use.
There fore Logically there is nothing wrong in using it.But finally AQllah knows best

AbuKhalid

Ruling on perfumes containing alcohol

Question:
assalum Alalykum
I would like to ask you if wearing perfume such as CK Eternity, or Aramis which contains Alchol SD, or Alchol denat. Thanks Brother.
Assalum Alaykum

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We need to talk at length about the issue of perfumes that are said to contain cologne or alcohol. If the percentage of alcohol is very little, we say that it does not matter, and a person may use them without any concern, such as if the alcohol content is 5% or less. This does not matter.

If the percentage of alcohol is very high, so that you can detect it, then it is better not to use it except where it is necessary, such as for sterilizing wounds and the like.

In cases where it is not necessary, it is better not to use it, but we do not say that it is haram. The most we can say is that this high alcohol content is an intoxicant, and no doubt consuming intoxicants is haram according to the texts of Islam and the consensus of the scholars, but is using it in ways other than drinking it permissible? This is open to speculation, but to be on the safe side we should not use it. If you say that it is open to speculation because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Intoxicants, gambling, al-ansaab [animals that are sacrificed on stone altars for idols], and al-azlaam [arrows for seeking luck or decision], are an abomination of Shaytaan’s handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” [al-Ma’idah 5:90-91], then we look at the general meaning of the phrase So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination), and say that alcohol should be avoided in all cases, whether it is drunk or applied to the skin, or used in some other way. If we look at the reason why, Allaah says, “Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” We may understand this to mean that only drinking it is forbidden, because applying it to the skin does not lead to that (enmity and hatred, etc.). So, in conclusion, we say that if the percentange of alcohol in this perfume is low, there is no need to worry about using it, but if it is high, then it is better to avoid it unless it is for a need, such as sterilizing wounds and the like.

Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 24

AbuKhalid

Scientifically, Alcohol dries up your skin by dissolving your membranes (which is why its a good antiseptic to kill microbes). It can cause problems depending on how sensitive your skin is and also how long u have been exposed it regularly. It also depends on how concentration the alcohol is ... and problems resulting from that "drying up" can vary. Alcohol is a chemical like any other and should be handled carefully

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

It is written the Prophet (swas) enjoyed perfumes. Oils have been used since time....Use the perfumes from the East. Musk is available anywhere.
For women it is not advisable to use perfume outside the home.
Once again, the simple message is let us use what leads to heaven and let us assist our brethern by buying and selling to promote the livelyhood of Muslims everywhere.

Abu.Amirah

Shukran jazeela for all ur help inshallah may Allah guide us all the right way. :tti_sister: :muslim_child:

just one more Question brother AbuKhalid ...how will i kno the percentage of the alcohol in that perfume? am not very good in chemistry lol :D

AbuKhalid

Hard to say the % of alcohol present br. Abu Amirah, but it might be labeled on the bottle.

If not ... u can try the "flame test" - see how big the flame is compared to a known alcohol concentration. Of course, dont light up the whole bottle, just a teaspoon or something. But thats really if u want to find out !!:D

But Islam is much easier than that ... its not forbidden to use it, unless u can see it actually harms u as ayman1 said

hareem

Dear brother Abu Amina. Assaalmu Alaikum.

To my humble knowledge, alcohol is forbidden for consumption only. A muslim cannot even carry a bottle of an alcoholic beverage even if he or she does not drink it, cannot sit to a table where anybody drinks an alcoholic beverage, etc. But the use of alcohol for cleaning, perfume, etc is not forbidden.

You are right that you cannot return this gift even if you wanted to but you also don't have to use it if you feel uncomfortable about it.

Salaams
jazakAllah.It make sense. Just want to add one thing that Alcohol is not najis(unclean) unlike wine and urine.

And Allah knows best.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

Alcohol was forbidden so Muslims do not get drunk; not because it might smell nice in the form of perfume. Correct me if I'm wrong. Salam alikum.

EDIT:
Hard to say the % of alcohol present br. Abu Amirah, but it might be labeled on the bottle.

If not ... u can try the "flame test" - see how big the flame is compared to a known alcohol concentration. Of course, dont light up the whole bottle, just a teaspoon or something. But thats really if u want to find out !!:D

But Islam is much easier than that ... its not forbidden to use it, unless u can see it actually harms u as ayman1 said

Lol, the flame test, in chemistry, is actually for detecting the presence of oxygen gas. What you just described might be an "explosion test". Lol. Salams.