persepolis? anyone

Jihan

has anyone read persepolis by marjane satrapi?
its about the islamic revolution and it drove me crazy to read it!!!!!!!!!

María Mercedes

hello

yes I already read that book. Is really nice, It makes me think about many things. She is brave and the way she tells the story is very original. I just read the last one when she got back to Iran after five years living in Austria.

bye:muslim_child:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
salam

can anyone elaborate on this book a bit...? ok its about the shiah revolution but what else about it?

justoneofmillion

salam

can anyone elaborate on this book a bit...? ok its about the shiah revolution but what else about it?
assalam ,what is going on in your mind colecting some ideas or what wallahi lol.....haha you have made my day was feeling kinda bit down after reading another thread !allhamdulillah

wassalam

aliff

Assalamu A'laikum,

what is this book about ? As far as i know, Persepolis was the main city of the ancient Persian Empire formed by Cyrus the Great. Does this book has something to do with that Persia or something else ?

Jihan

salam

well its about this little iranian girl who grows up and the country is protesting about the shah. when the shah goes down everyone is celebrating. then there are these ppl who want islamic government... but most are against it. the main character's(marjane) family is strongly opposing the islamic government, so naturally she is too as a small child. there are a lot of things in the book that take me by surprise or upset in the book: such as drawing of a bearded man who she referrs to as "god", the ones supporting the islamic gov are displayed as angry ppl, her and her family don't appear to have islamic ideas like she says that she wants to be a prophet and the first prophet that came was zarathustra before the arabs came. the uncle of marjane said when he was apposing the islamic government 'but the religious leaders don't know how to govern. they will return to the mosques.'
some of the things i wonder the authenciticy of how it happened, because if some of the things that are said about ppl then i don't blame them for opposing them such as the following:women were beat and stabbed in the streets for not wearing hijab by men who support islamic gov, some of those men would not tell on others for drinking if they got paid.

you have to read the book to know what i mean exactly....

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:

assalam ,what is going on in your mind colecting some ideas or what wallahi lol.....
...who me? revolution? :SMILY231: :SMILY335: umm who do u work for brother...u know waaay to many languages for my liking and ure just too curious sometimes....im guessing mossad yeh?!! jokes. :)
haha you have made my day was feeling kinda bit down after reading another thread !allhamdulillah
alhamdulillah

well its about this little iranian girl who grows up and the country is protesting about the shah. when the shah goes down everyone is celebrating. then there are these ppl who want islamic government...
ok, yeh id have celebrated if i was alive back then...
but most are against it. the main character's(marjane) family is strongly opposing the islamic government, so naturally she is too as a small child. there are a lot of things in the book that take me by surprise or upset in the book: such as drawing of a bearded man who she referrs to as "god", the ones supporting the islamic gov are displayed as angry ppl, her and her family don't appear to have islamic ideas like she says that she wants to be a prophet and the first prophet that came was zarathustra before the arabs came.
woah sounds like more of the nationalist element of iran..zoroastrians

the uncle of marjane said when he was apposing the islamic government 'but the religious leaders don't know how to govern. they will return to the mosques.'
some of the things i wonder the authenciticy of how it happened, because if some of the things that are said about ppl then i don't blame them for opposing them such as the following:women were beat and stabbed in the streets for not wearing hijab.
that happened in the early years in specific places yeah. but ironically, prior to the shahs downfall, many young women in iran were responding in a reactionary way, i.e putting on hijabs and stuff.
who support islamic gov, some of those men would not tell on others for drinking if they got paid.
so its this ladies autobiography?
you have to read the book to know what i mean exactly....
lol, tht type of book!

inshallah.

wasalam

Jihan

well technically speakin it is her autobigraphy (i don't like speaking in that language its too technical for me) but i don't really see it as true actual autobiography since she puts all her imagination (im not sure if she even really imagined it back then as a child or now as adult) either way its not what i call a true autobiography... you can't tell what she really wants you to take as truth and what she wants you to know she made up....in my opinion.
what makes me sad it is that i am 5/6 through the book (thats not the sad part)and everything about islam in the book is brought out so negative and the ppl the refer as fundamentalists (who are suppose to be the supporters of the islamic revolution) are so evil (the way they are portrayed anyways the truth may never be known [by humanity that is]) even that is not the sad part... but in my eyes the true sad part is this is the book which many teachers recommend to their students and a teacher and librarian both said it was such a good book i should read it! many teachers require their students to at least a part of this book.... and if i was one of those students i would wonder why are women being stabbed becus they don't cover their hair?

i wanted to share an excerpt from the book : in no tiime the way ppl dressed became a idealogical sign. there were 2 types of women.
there is a pic of woman with long jilabab labeled fundamentalist woman
and there is woman with small hijab labeled modern and under the "modern" woman it saidyou showed your oppositionto the regime by letting a few hair strands show.