Pets

naz haider

Assalam Alaikum,
A persoon I met, told me that Islam prohibits keeping pets. I know that certain animals like the pig and dog are haraam. But what about other animals?? I have pet cats at my home and love animals very much. I feed stray dogs too, is that something wrong?? My heart pains when i see a helpless little puppy and cannot stop myself from giving him a few biscuits.
The person I am referring to told me that animals are supoosed to be free beings, and by keeping them as pets we are taking away their freedom, is that true? Keeping caged birds is wrong, I agree with that.
The pet cat I have, i keep her nicely and take good care of her. And I feel she has far better life than the stray animals. Allah has created all beings, even animals. How can it be wrong to take care of Allah's beings?? Please clarify on this.

Jazaak Allah

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

you can keep *cats* in Islam as they are clean. many TTI members own cats. :D

about feeding stray dogs, you will be rewarded for that inshallah. there is hadith that Allah forgave a prostitute becoz she gave drink to a thristy dog.

so dont worry and enjoy being with ur cat but take care of her. bcoz there is another hadith that a woman was sent to hell bcoz she caged her cat and did not feed her properly.

DanyalSAC

Keeping birds - as long as they are halal - is OK as long as you can care for them. I have a parrot who is only in his cage when its bedtime or when nobody's home. I did research for myself on this subject a couple months back because of my bird and found this:

It is permissible to keep pets, regardless of whether they are birds, fish, reptiles or any other animal except pigs and dogs. It will not be permissible to keep an animal which may cause harm neither is it permissible to cause any harm to an animal.

A hadith in Sahih Bukhari (Vol.2 Pg.905 and 915-Qadeemi) mentions that a young Sahabi by the name of Abu Umair had a small bird as the pet, with the knowledge of Nabi (sallalahu Alaihi wasallam). Another hadith narrated by Imam Bukhari in Adabul Mufrad (Pg.139) mentions that the Sahabah (Radhiallahu Anhum) were in the habit of keeping birds in cages.

Thus our Fuqaha have ruled that keeping pets is permissible as long as they are treated kindly and fed properly. (Majmoo' Fatawa Vol.2 Pg.201, Raddul Muhtaar Vol.6 Pg.401, Fatawa Qari'ul Hidayah)

(from http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=784f7b90a4e161a69999faedbb87aa3c)

MuslimStudent

Keeping birds - as long as they are halal - is OK as long as you can care for them. I have a parrot who is only in his cage when its bedtime or when nobody's home. I did research for myself on this subject a couple months back because of my bird and found this:

It is permissible to keep pets, regardless of whether they are birds, fish, reptiles or any other animal except pigs and dogs. It will not be permissible to keep an animal which may cause harm neither is it permissible to cause any harm to an animal.

A hadith in Sahih Bukhari (Vol.2 Pg.905 and 915-Qadeemi) mentions that a young Sahabi by the name of Abu Umair had a small bird as the pet, with the knowledge of Nabi (sallalahu Alaihi wasallam). Another hadith narrated by Imam Bukhari in Adabul Mufrad (Pg.139) mentions that the Sahabah (Radhiallahu Anhum) were in the habit of keeping birds in cages.

Thus our Fuqaha have ruled that keeping pets is permissible as long as they are treated kindly and fed properly. (Majmoo' Fatawa Vol.2 Pg.201, Raddul Muhtaar Vol.6 Pg.401, Fatawa Qari'ul Hidayah)

(from http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=784f7b90a4e161a69999faedbb87aa3c)

Salam Danyal, you said you let your parrot out during the day, I used to let my parrots out too. I like when parrots are free in the house but they soiled the top of my furniture. How do you deal with it?

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
respected sister naz, assalamo alaikum, being a veterinarian and a muslim too, let me answer ur queries........
1. yes we can keep DOG but only for hunting and/or guard purposes. we should not treat them as family members as nonmuslims do. dogs cannot eat in our utensils, cannot sleep on our beds etc. but they must be treated as dog or animals. we should take care of them by giving them good food, suitable climate, shelter, love etc.
2. we can keep cats. our Holy prophet P.B.U.H used to love cats and liked them
3. we can keep caged birds. but only when we provide them good food, shelter, love, care, water for drink, nests for breeding etc.
4. finally, as a veterinarian (animal doctor), my advice is to keep them in the houses but take care of their health status and vaccination too.
there is separete vaccination schedule for birds, cats or dogs.
for any help regarding their health problem dont hesitate to contact me here or at ovomer @ gmail.com
wasalam

DanyalSAC

Salam Danyal, you said you let your parrot out during the day, I used to let my parrots out too. I like when parrots are free in the house but they soiled the top of my furniture. How do you deal with it?

Just wipe it up before it dries :)

He has his places he stays - he has a gym right here beside me that he plays on. He doesn't normally roam the house unless I take him with me. He is for some reason fascinated with the restroom in the front hall; whenever someone enters it he will fly to the door and "knock" on it with his beak yelling "HELLO???"

rightpath_357

lol- keeping cats is okay- keeping dogs is haram if you dont hve them 4 a purpose- like a guard dog, a guide dog,etc.- thats becuz of the Napaq:(
wasting 2 much money on ur pets is haram- becuz it cud be given 2 charity-right?????
but i'm confused about a few things:confused:
* people tell me its haram 2 keep pets becuz they can survive outside- and bringing them in will stop their freedom- BUT wait, the pets we get frompet stores- i dont think they EVER had freedom, and i dont think i'd want 2 buy a do and realease it, becuz in a city, it would go through garbage that wud eventually kill it, and it might get hit by a car, and there wudnt b enough prey 4 it, if u know wat i mean:(

*people say CATS CRY WHEN YOU DONT PUT THEM OUTSIDE AT NIGHT- but wat if its freezing cold? i'd install a pet door, but is it rlly true????:confused:

btw- bro, u will get GOOD deeds written 4 u if u feed stray animals. rather live than die right? lol- i'd love 2 feed stray dogs- but there arent any near my area lol-:D

rightpath_357

respected sister naz, assalamo alaikum, being a veterinarian and a muslim too, let me answer ur queries........
1. yes we can keep DOG but only for hunting and/or guard purposes. we should not treat them as family members as nonmuslims do. dogs cannot eat in our utensils, cannot sleep on our beds etc. but they must be treated as dog or animals. we should take care of them by giving them good food, suitable climate, shelter, love etc.
3. we can keep caged birds. but only when we provide them good food, shelter, love, care, water for drink, nests for breeding etc.
4. finally, as a veterinarian (animal doctor), my advice is to keep them in the houses but take care of their health status and vaccination too.
for any help regarding their health problem dont hesitate to contact me here or at ovomer @ gmail.com
wasalam

I want 2 b a vet 2!!!!! is it hard?????
:hijabi::ma:

naz haider

Jazak Allah for your all your replies

wasalam

My family and me take good care of our cat. Masha Allah my whole family likes animals. Your answer is very helpful and I will surely trouble you with my queries, brother :SMILY288:
I have got my cat vaccinated and she has regular medical check ups too. Masha Allah, she is a healthy cat. About feeding the stray dogs, well, these dogs are not guard dogs or anything like that, so does my feeding them qualify as haraam? While feeding them, these dogs sometimes rub themsleves against my clothes, which is animal nature and maybe they thank me for feeding them. I do take off and wash these clothes right away, is that fine???

And Jazak Allah to everyone who took the pains of answering my query. May Allah SWT bless you all and your loved ones.

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
yes, sister rightpath it is somewhat difficult but i have seen human beings becoming veterinarians not the unseen creations. hahaha.
sister naz, its good to feed the stray dogs. but as it is mentioned above that dogs are haram so take care of your body and dress while treating with them. it is the sunnah of Allah swt to give His creations "food". and also beware of the rabies, a deadly viral disease which is spread by dogs and cats. virus live in the saliva of these pets and can be transferred into the humans body via small bruises or cuts on skin or by biting. as stary dogs are not vaccinated so more dangerous. may Allah swt save all the muslim ummah from deadly diseases.
wasalam.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Aleekum,

I found this online i hope it answers ur questions about dogs....

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and Blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. Having a dog for any reason other than the three reasons mentioned in the coming Hadith is prohibited in shariah. Abu Huairah narrated that the Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily unless the dog is used for guarding a farm, a cattle, or for hunting".(Reported in Sunan and other Hadith books). The same meaning is reported in Sahihain from Abu Zubair (
icon--3.gif
). It is proved that the Prophet (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: "Angels do not get into a house where there is a picture or a dog". As regards touching a dog, the preponderant opinion is that its saliva is impure as in a Hadith. "The purification of the utensils belonging to anyone of you, after they have been licked by a dog, lies in washing them seven times, using sand for the first time". The correct opinion is that every thing other than saliva, urine and dung is pure. Allah knows best.