Popular names from subcontinent to be avoided

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Not popular, but my father told me there was a man in his locality by the name Deraan. In my language, this means sewage. :rolleyes:

Mahzala

Deraan gul bachay :rolleyes-1:

But no seriously, why? And another, Paynj Shanbe ... which means Thursday. Really?

A.Abubaker

Yeah, that's what my mother called me, hehe.

Why? Quite simple actually. child mortality is very high in rural areas so it is not uncommon for people to name their kids as such, to protect them from the evil eye, Jins and what not.

but, some are just plain stupid, or If they are anything like me....they have just done it for the heck of it, so they can see the look on thier childs face when someone calls them sewage flower:D.

Mahzala

Your mother called you Thursday? Or Deraan? Gosh, feels silly suggesting it.

True. But then again, imagine the torture that poor child feels as soon as they actualise their names meaning. And as an adult, I know the feeling of always hesitating to say my name, because no new acquaintance has ever pronounced it right, so to introduce yourself as sewage every time, the trauma ... wow.

A.Abubaker

as a kid i was always out playing cricket with friends, so every time i came home she would say, agha da deranee raghai. I think she thought it might bring me in ''ghairath'' so i'd spend less time outside the house.

actually most of them just stick with it and never bother to change their names. I won? you would imagine most of them would be happy to finally do away with it.

My father actually had to force his step ''uncles'' to change their names.

Mahzala

It makes sense to change. A persons character follows their name or nickname.

But still, how does sewage make it to the name list? I'll get over it.