Preparing for job interview; working as a muslim in US

booya

:salam2:
InshaAllah I will be interviewing for a job tomorrow. I have recently graduated and I hope to get this job. It's tough times in the US so any job will be good.

I did intern at that company this past Summer for about 2 months. I hope the experience, knowledge, and contacts I built during my time will give me a slight edge. However, if I do inshaAllah get a job, not only here but in other places, I'd like to hear from other Muslim professionals in the US.

In my internship I was able to choose my time since they didn't pay. I took work half day on Fridays. I leave at lunch time so I can go to prayers. In the regular work week I leave about 3 PM which still let me pray Duhr once I get back. I was still hesitant to "show" my faith at the time. But if I were to get a full time job at the very least I would have to pray at the office.

How have you brothers and sisters perform your obligations as Muslims at the workplace, e.g. asking for a place to pray or asking for longer lunch hours for Friday prayers?

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam Alikom,

May Allah make it easy on you ad you get the job. Usually in U.S companies dont mind you praying at one of the conference rooms during your lunch hours.
You can explain it to your manager ( After you get the Job inhallah) that you have to pray and usually the prayer takes 10 min Max... On Friday you can come early and go to lunch late and if you stay longer, explain to your manager you put in half hour extra at your job..

We usually pray in group in one of the conference rooms without any issues.

TampaT

I was fortunate that my boss was a muslim and I asked as soon as I got there the first day "I need a place to pray" the said pray in the storage room. That is the least of your concerns just focus on your interview process and inshallah khair for you:salam2: