Punishment

Greek_Rose_2005

I will be grateful if someone can help shed some light on a topic for me. I am not converted yet but I have started reading the quran and would like someone guidance who is more experienced. What does the quran say about hurting/punishing/ and not sure those are the right words for someone who has hurt or abused us? I was recently having this discussion with someone who is close to me (who is muslim ), we were speaking of some personal issues in my life and they were saying to me that the quran gives the permission back to the one who was hurt before to hurt the other and that I should hurt them...I have not read much yet in quran to debate this but I was feeling in strong disagreement.
Again please bear in mind I have not converted yet, but growing up in a christian family we were taught to turn the other cheek and that its better to forgive, that punishment and judgement alone are for Allah.

Please brother and sisters can you shed some light on this, as this young brother feels too strong that I should do something really to hurt this other person and I am really feeling nervous and against it, I feel that it may be something haram, and not only that but I would have to live with my concience all my life even if someone hurts me I dont agree to hurt someone unless my life was in danger in that very moment.

please I need help as I have began to feel very stressed and nervous..

if anyone needs more detail I will happy to speak of this..

Thank you brother and sisters for your help

palestine

Servant of Allah
Hello
First of all thank you for looking deeper into Islam. much appreciated. Anyways i don't know if your a guy or a girl. and I'm not a very well experienced person but from the little knowledge i have it is better to forgive then to take revenge/retribution. I've always been taught that and from the stories of the prophets peace be upon them all, they didn't take revenge unless it was necessary to. For example: When prophet Muhammad pbuh was being tormented and his legs were bleeding, he didn't fight back.....he would turn to Allah and ask for help. His uncle Abu Jahl killed many muslims yet they didn't take revenge on him. When the oppression and injustice wouldn't end and all of their homes were emptied by the enemies the prophet pbuh was given permission to fight and to take back what was theirs. They wouldn't take extra things and when they captured men of the enemies they treated them with kindness, clothed them and fed them. So my advice to you is to NOT HURT, HARM OR INSULT THAT PERSON IN ANYWAY. Just leave that matter to Allah. Allah knows how you feel and only he can help you, but taking revenge isn't the answer and that is not what Islam teaches. I'm sorry i'm not a scholar and cannot give you a verse from the Quran but i know very well from the Hadiths i have read during my life and the stories that have been told to me about Muhammad PBUH. So dear soon to be brother/sister inshaAllah i would advice you to be patient and to ignore the person who is hurting you and do not take revenge, Violence isn't the answer and you are right you might regret taking revenge after a long period has passed. so DON'T DO IT. Have a good day/night and May Allah guide you. i'm happy to hear that you are thinking about Reverting to Islam. I'll try to provide some hadiths for you when i find the right pages, don't worry i'll post them for u inshaAllah.. please if you would be specific about the way you've been hurt, i'm willing to listen. thank you for posting this. again, Islam does not permit that you hurt another person, but rather forgive them.:tti_sister: Please respond to me and tell me if i've made it clear for you.

Greek_Rose_2005

Thank you so much for your words, I am sorry for not clarifying I am female. I feel relief in my heart to know that also revenge or punishment on others is not granted for us to do but only for Allah..I was very distressed when this person that I am close with insisted I teach the one that hurt me a big lesson...like I said to them that its better to forgive and ask Allah for patience and guidance and learn from what happens..
I will be happy to speak with you in more detail and please as you get more information please give it to me I need as much encouragement as possible these days as I am going through some hard days.
May Allah bless you always. Thank you so much

palestine

Servant of Allah
:hijabi:

Reading this almost made me cry. It brought tears to my eyes to hear you say that you are happy. If you want i'll give you my email but i need you to send me a private message in order for me to do that. I would be glad to be of help. Please Respond ASAP. I will be sure to give you encouragement as much as i can.

Welcome by the way, and i am female as well.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Hi !

Hi sister,

The verses of the Quran that person maybe pointing towards colud be these,

Those who avoid the greater crimes and shameful deeds, and, when they are angry even then forgive; (37) Those who harken to their Lord, and establish regular prayer; who (conduct) their affairs by mutual Consultation; who spend out of what We bestow on them for Sustenance; (38) And those who, when an oppressive wrong is inflicted on them, (are not cowed but) help and defend themselves. (39) The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due, from Allah: for (Allah) loveth not those who do wrong. (40) But indeed if any do help and defend himself after a wrong (done) to them against such there is no cause of blame. (41) The blame is only against those who oppress men with wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a Penalty grievous. (42)But indeed if any show patience and forgive, that would truly be an exercise of courageous will and resolution in the conduct of affairs. (43)
[Ash-shura]

Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord and for a Garden whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous,― (133) Those who spend (freely) whether in prosperity or in adversity; who restrain anger and pardon (all) men; for Allah loves those who do good,― (134) And those who having done something to be ashamed of, or wronged their own souls earnestly bring Allah to mind; and ask for forgiveness for their sins,―and who can forgive sins except Allah?,―And are never obstinate in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done. (135) For such the reward is forgiveness from their Lord and gardens with rivers flowing underneath an eternal dwelling; how excellent a recompense for those who work (and strive)! (136)

From the above verses it is very clear that Quran does not say that YOU HAVE TO TAKE REVENGE. It only says that equal revenge is allowed not that you have to do it. Quran is simply giving a fair chance of defending to the oppressed person but at the same time it encourages us to be patient and forgiving for it is what Allah SWT loves us do.

It does blame you if you do not take revenge on the contrary it encourages you to be pateint and forgiving and blames only those who oppress.

The blame is only against those who oppress men with wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a Penalty grievous. (42) But indeed if any show patience and forgive, that would truly be an exercise of courageous will and resolution in the conduct of affairs. (43)
[Ash-shura]

Think objectively if we, by law makes it that no one can call for justice then what oppressed people are supposed to do ?

Actually Quran permits whats lawful but encourages us to be merciful and forgiving.

Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah, works righteousness, and says "I am of those who bow in Islam"? (33) Nor can Goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate! (34) And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint none but persons of the greatest good fortune. (35) And if (at any time) an incitement to discord is made to thee by the Evil One, seek refuge in Allah. He is the One Who hears and knows all things. (36)
[Fussilat]

Greek_Rose_2005

I thank you both for your kind and gentle words, and both of you just instilled more in me what i already felt that revenge, judgement and punishment are only for Allah to decide not for us, and if Allah forgives us sins who are far greater when he is perfect then so should we also...

thank you for your comments..