Question about family

Valerie

:salam2:

I was going to ask a question, but I did my prayer, joined a Qur'an class (online of course, I know not a single Muslim outside of the internet) and I completely forgot what was so important that I had to ask.

I remembered as I was typing this.

Has anyone here had a problem with their family not accepting their choice to be Muslim? This may or may not affect life-long Muslims, although it may, so I don't want to leave those people out of the conversation :)

I have gotten surprisingly intolerant comments from my parents, and I was told directly by my husband that he doesn't want me to be Muslim (he's pretty much athiest, no interest in religion at all). Funny part about that, he's perfectly fine with me wearing the headscarf. I know this will take time, example and studying on my part so that they can see what I am learning.

Because of their opinions and attitudes, I've kept it to myself pretty much. They know I still study, but I've studied almost every religion out there, so it doesn't raise any questions if I sit down with my Qur'an and start reading. I do my prayers in private and I skip some of the things we used to eat and don't make a big fuss about it... Probably the wrong thing to do, but I don't want to cause problems until I am more comfortable in my faith.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it?

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum

im not sure this is relevant or something since i was a born muslim, but well when i became more practicing and started doing things differently than my family was doing cuz it was bidah or just culture, they took it pretty bad and thought i was just going to be extreme or something.

They kept telling me stuff, i kept ignoring , and educating, it helps to stay calm when they are angry or in the heat of the moment, and honestly their words put a hole in ur heart anywayz so u remember their words but when they are cool u take those words they use and tell them what islam says and show them the beauty of it :) and tell them , im Patient cuz " [إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ مَعَ ٱلصَّـٰبِرِينَ [٨:٤٦ " , "For Allah is with those who patiently persevere:" [ 8: 73]

hope i helped a teeny tiny bit

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I can't get to my chores tonight. It's a gorgeous moon and I am playing on the computer!!

Val, you ask questions that are very real. Let me tell you a little about me. I was born into a lovely Muslim family. I was rebellious and found the world fun. I hope you get my drift. When I married my second husband he reverted to Islam. As I grew in faith we became worlds apart. I had a choice to make. And here I am preaching to you. Very single.

Family and friends are not on the same journey as you. However, Allah subhana talla sends you hope in the form of Muslim brothers and sisters. You have to decide what is important to you. He gives us the example of the noble Prophet Ibrahim. He walked away from his father. Allah subhana talla gives us the example of Lot's wife. She could not walk away.

If you were younger I would have written a much longer and sweeter version of this. I am bowing to your maturity. Patience.

There will be more decisions you will have to make. This is not the time. You are doing absolutely the right thing. You are asking questions to Believers. I pray, Insha'Allah that the choice of my words gives you some comfort.

I have to return to cleaning..it helps me think.

Valerie

Thank you both of you :) I appreciate what you have to say :)

mirajmom: I don't think you have to worry about my age. I'm learning so I'm starting at the beginning here. Sometimes I question my maturity ;)

I think that my husband, as well as my parents, has the issue of what we are fed by the media about Muslims. Obviously, if you go looking, you discover the truth, that no group of people can be defined by stereotypes.

Thank you again :) I appreciate the time and thought that everyone puts into their advice here :)

:salam2: I was born a muslim so i never experienced problems with my family till i wore hijab. The day i wore it my home was a battle ground lollllll. They hated my hijab so much and since i was not married at the time that was just a couple of yrs back my mom would say oh who will marry you with this on blah blah blah lolll. I know she loves me a lot but believe me they tried there level best to get me to take it off. So even born muslim face a different kind of problems.

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
Salam alaykum sister, great to hear you are taking heed of this religion and finding out if it is the truth and if it leads to salvation in this life and more so in the hereafter.
I was not born in to a muslim household but yet they were not atheist. First of all it's very easy to beat an atheist in a debate, but thats a whole different issue.
Anyways me being a male and the oldest male in the household, it was not hard for me to do what I was but the emotional stress was pretty heavy because no one was for my decision, and they argued with me about keeping my beard etc.
At the end of the day, I always remember our beloved prophet ibraheem, he was of those who put Allah first, and indeed if you truely believe and figuire out what our purpose on this earth is, we come down tot he fact that we are not here for fun and games, we are here to worship our creator on His terms. So my advice to you isn't to divorce your husband or something crazy like that, but build your faith, and if your husband says "if your a muslim then im divorcing you" You must ask yourself the question, who are you here to please him, or Allah subhana wa ta'ala... What I just said is obviously easier said then done, but you must build your faith, try to go to a masjid or meet some muslim women/reverts. At the end of the day, knowing you are pleasing Allah will make you feel SO good compared to pleasing his creation.... and may he help you, I promise I will make a dua in my next salah for you may Allah accept it.
Assalamu alaikum sister, and btw if you fall in to any problems, alhamdulillah there are a massive amount of sisters using this forum you can ask them questions that maybe us guys can't give the best answer to.