Question regarding prayer

Paragon

Hello again,

Are women required to pray differently than the men?

Do they pray together? As in the same room or must they be in different rooms?

Is the same prayer recited by both men and women are are they different?

Thank you

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum,

or Hello if you are not familiar with ''salam'' :) in general the prayers are the same for both men and women, in every prayer we recite Al Fatiha, the first sura (chapter) of Quran, along with other sura and the specific movements, maybe you read about them or you will inchallah, all is for Allah, as act of worship and love. Regarding the differences i founded this for example :

Is there any prove from the Sunnah or ijtihad of the Sahaba that the praying (salat) of a woman is on some points different from the man ?

Praise be to Allaah.

The general principle is that women are equal to men in all religious rulings, because of the hadeeth "Women are the twin halves of men" (Reported by Imaam Ahmad and classified as saheeh in Saheeh al-Jaami’ 1983), except when there is evidence (daleel) of a specific ruling which applies only to women. One of the cases in which the scholars mention specific rules for women is prayer, where there are differences as follows:

Women do not have to give adhaan or iqaamah, because adhaan requires raising the voice, which women are not permitted to do. Ibn Qudaamah, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: "We know of no difference between the scholars (on this point)." (Al-Mughni ma’a al-Sharh al-Kabeer, 1/438). All of the woman’s body is ‘awrah and must be covered during prayer, except for her face, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "No prayer will be accepted from an adult woman unless she wears a khimaar (head-cover). (Reported by the five Muhadditheen) There is some dispute as to whether her heels and feet should be covered. The author of al-Mughni (2/328) said: "As for the rest of the free woman’s body, it must be covered during prayer. If any part becomes uncovered, it renders her prayer invalid, except if only a little bit is uncovered. Maalik, al-Oozaa’i and al-Shaafi’i said the same.

The woman should keep her limbs close to her body during rukoo’ and sujood, and not spread them out, because this is more modest and covering. (Al-Mughni 2/258). Al-Nawawi said: "Al-Shaafi’i said, in al-Mukhtasar: there is no difference between men and women in prayer, except that women should keep the parts of their bodies close to one another, and they should make their stomachs touch their thighs during sujood. This is more covering and preferable, in rukoo’ and the rest of the prayer too." (See al-Majmoo’ 3/429). It is preferable for women to pray in congregation, led by one of their number, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told Umm Waraqah to lead the women of her household in prayer. There is some difference among scholars on this matter. (See al-Mughni, 2/202 and al-Majmoo’ al-Nawawi, 4/84-85). The woman leading the prayer should read aloud as long as no non-mahram man can hear her. It is permissible for women to go out and pray in the mosque with men, although their prayer at home is better for them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Do not prevent the women from going out to the mosques, even though their homes are better for them." (For more details on this matter, see Question#973). Imaam al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, said (al-Majmoo’ 3/455): "Women differ from men in congregational prayer in a number of ways:
(1) Congregational prayer is not required of them in the same way as it is of men.
(2) The imam of a group of women stands in the middle of the (first) row.
(3) (If one woman and one man are praying), she should stand behind him, not next to him.
(4) If women are praying in rows behind men, the back rows are better for them than the front rows.

What we can learn from the above is that women and men are forbidden to mix. Allaah is our Helper and Support.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

:salam2:

Paragon

Salam,

May i ask, why are women not permitted to raise their voice in prayer?

"Women do not have to give adhaan or iqaamah, because adhaan requires raising the voice, which women are not permitted to do"
Salam aleikum,

or Hello if you are not familiar with ''salam'' :) in general the prayers are the same for both men and women, in every prayer we recite Al Fatiha, the first sura (chapter) of Quran, along with other sura and the specific movements, maybe you read about them or you will inchallah, all is for Allah, as act of worship and love. Regarding the differences i founded this for example :

Hajjerr

Salam,

May i ask, why are women not permitted to raise their voice in prayer?

"Women do not have to give adhaan or iqaamah, because adhaan requires raising the voice, which women are not permitted to do"

Wa aleikum salam

Islam protects the woman and her rights.
Women are encouraged to talk in a low voice, to cover them selfs, to not free mix with men, to not hit the ground with their heels too loud when they walk.
All these are rules so no woman can atract unwanted attention on them, it is important for us as good Muslims or good followers of Allah Almighty to reduce wickedness in our society to the very minimum.

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allaah is All-Aware of what they do” [al-Noor 24:30]

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him),
“I have not left behind me any fitnah (temptation) more harmful to men than women.” [Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5096; Muslim, 2740]

Hope you understood this aspect inchallah and Allah knows best.

Paragon

Salam,

I thank you for your gracious reply, I understand more fully why this is what it is. Thank you for being patient with me as i slowly learn about your faith.

Wa aleikum salam

Islam protects the woman and her rights.
Women are encouraged to talk in a low voice, to cover them selfs, to not free mix with men, to not hit the ground with their heels too loud when they walk.
All these are rules so no woman can atract unwanted attention on them, it is important for us as good Muslims or good followers of Allah Almighty to reduce wickedness in our society to the very minimum.

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allaah is All-Aware of what they do” [al-Noor 24:30]

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him),
“I have not left behind me any fitnah (temptation) more harmful to men than women.” [Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5096; Muslim, 2740]

Hope you understood this aspect inchallah and Allah knows best.

Hajjerr

Wa aleikum salam

I am happy if i can help you, alhamdullilah.
If you have more private questions about women, you can join sisters club or send pm to one of us sisters, inchallah.

Islam is meant to improve our life in every sense and to answer all the humanity`s questions.

friend263

Salam aleikum,

Now again confused alot i was reading the book pray as you have seen me praying by Al Albani and in that book it is been writtn as the prophet use to do sujood in such a way that a baby lamb can crossed under him.. Forgive me if i cant copy the same words now after reading that my understanding is we have to raise our back portion and also our hands so as to rech into the same position as our beloved prophet use to do, please let me know what to do?? Actually when we use to go to our arabic school they use to make us pray every sunday where the women use to pray totally opposite to men i mean we use to keep our hands on the chest where as the boys were said to keep there hands on there naval and so on. But now as i heard from somebody that the prayers of the men and women should be same i read the book of Sheikh Albani and now i am trying to stick to that but i am very much confused because there are many people who oppose or criticise me for doing so i tried to show them the book but they say i am wrong and now this post has made my mind more confused please let me know the correct way?? Also are we not allowed to even show our palms and feet during salah?? I mean do i have to wear socks while praying because most of thr times the hands are covered but not the feet.. Also i have heard people saying that we can cover our hands only till our elbows i mean the rest can be kept uncovered??

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Now again confused alot i was reading the book pray as you have seen me praying by Al Albani and in that book it is been writtn as the prophet use to do sujood in such a way that a baby lamb can crossed under him.. Forgive me if i cant copy the same words now after reading that my understanding is we have to raise our back portion and also our hands so as to rech into the same position as our beloved prophet use to do, please let me know what to do?? Actually when we use to go to our arabic school they use to make us pray every sunday where the women use to pray totally opposite to men i mean we use to keep our hands on the chest where as the boys were said to keep there hands on there naval and so on. But now as i heard from somebody that the prayers of the men and women should be same i read the book of Sheikh Albani and now i am trying to stick to that but i am very much confused because there are many people who oppose or criticise me for doing so i tried to show them the book but they say i am wrong and now this post has made my mind more confused please let me know the correct way?? Also are we not allowed to even show our palms and feet during salah?? I mean do i have to wear socks while praying because most of thr times the hands are covered but not the feet.. Also i have heard people saying that we can cover our hands only till our elbows i mean the rest can be kept uncovered??

assalamu alaykum sister,

when people come to you telling you that you are 'wrong', ask them about daleel. And anyway, if there is a difference of opinion among the 'Ulema about a matter, we cannot say 'this opinion is wrong and the other is right', we do not have enough knowledge wa Allahu 'alam.

About the woman covering and uncovering hands and feets during the prayer, there are few fatawa here:

http://alifta.com/Fatawa/FatawaSubj...ID=8&SubjectPageTitlesID=68457&MarkIndex=13&0

keep reading the book of al-Albani rahimahullah over and over, we must perfect our prayer and may Allah accept it from us ameen

jazakillahu khayran