Question reguarding beliefs

seeking_the_truth

I was told it is not allowed to accept intrest earned from a bank account or any account for that matter. Is this true and why?
Also if this is the case is it also wrong to accept free items that the government gives as assistance?

abu'muhammad

I was told it is not allowed to accept intrest earned from a bank account or any account for that matter. Is this true and why?

the literal meaning of interest or Al-Riba as it is used in the arabic language means to excess or increase.

Textual Evidence

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, No. 299; Narrated ‘Aun bin Abu Juhaifah, radhiAllah
My father bought a slave who practised the profession of cupping, (My father broke the servants instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, "The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tatooing, or getting tatooed and receiving or giving Riba (Usury), and cursed the picture makers."

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari, 2.468, Narrated Samura bin Jundab radhiAllah
He speaks of in a dream related to the Prophet (SAW) that there is a river of blood and a man was in it, and another man was standing at its bank with stones in front of him, facing the man standing in the river. Whenever the man in the river wanted to come out , the other one threw a stone in his mouth and caused him to retreat back into his original position. The Prophet was told that these people in this river of blood were people who dealt in Riba (usury).

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Baqarah 275-281

275. Those who eat Ribâ (usury) will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaitân (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: "Trading is only like Ribâ (usury)," whereas Allâh has permitted trading and forbidden Ribâ (usury). So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Ribâ (usury) shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allâh (to judge); but whoever returns [to Ribâ (usury)], such are the dwellers of the Fire - they will abide therein.

276. Allâh will destroy Ribâ (usury) and will give increase for Sadaqât (deeds of charity, alms, etc.) And Allâh likes not the disbelievers, sinners.

277. Truly those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and give Zakât, they will have their reward with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

278. O you who believe! Be afraid of Allâh and give up what remains (due to you) from Ribâ (usury) (from now onward), if you are (really) believers.

279. And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allâh and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital sums).

280. And if the debtor is in a hard time (has no money), then grant him time till it is easy for him to repay, but if you remit it by way of charity, that is better for you if you did but know.

281. And be afraid of the Day when you shall be brought back to Allâh. Then every person shall be paid what he earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Imran 3:130

O you who believe! Eat not Ribâ (usury) doubled and multiplied, but fear Allâh that you may be successful.

Hadith - Mishkat-ul-Masabih
The following three ahaadeeth have been taken from Mishkat-ul-Masabih under the section of interest and the English translation has been taken from its English version written by Al Hajj Moulana Fazl Karim (218-227 vol.11)

Hazrat Jabir r.a. has reported that the Messenger of Allah cursed the devourer of usury, its payer, its scribe and its two witnesses. He also said that they were equal (in sin).

Hazrat Abu Hurairah r.a. reported that the Prophet said : A time will certainly come over the people when none will remain who will not devour usury. If he does not devour it, its vapour will overtake him.
[Ahmed,Abu Dawood,Nisai,Ibn Majah]

Hazrat Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah said: I came across some people in the night in which I was taken to the heavens. Their stomachs were like houses wherein there were serpents, which could be seen from the front of the stomachs. I asked :O Gabriel! Who are these people? He replied these are those who devoured usury. [Ahmed,Ibn Majah]

Allah Knows the best.

seeking_the_truth

ok so i understand that interest is not good from what you had posted but does that also go for accepting free items or assistance from the government?

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Gifts & assistance are generally permissable. However, government related benefits can be anything so I'd suggest you take your specific case to a scholar.

BW

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
ok so i understand that interest is not good from what you had posted but does that also go for accepting free items or assistance from the government?

:salam2:
Yes accepting free items or taking government assistance (food, money, shelter etc) are halal (permissable) if the items you are reciving are not haram like pork, alchohol etc. Also if you are getting these assistance by giving the government false information then it could become haram (fobidden). But this is a grey area because different question can be interpretted differently by different people. But if there is blatent lie or total fabrication then that particular assistance from the government may not be kosher.
:wasalam: