Question: Salah

Valerie

:salam2:

I have a question for anyone who might be able to help. My family knows I'm learning about Islam. I've had a few jokes directed at me.. nothing mean-spirited, more along the lines of concerned or cautious.. IE "are you sure you want to leave those books out where anyone can see them?" and when I bought the books, (the Qur'an and "Complete idiot's guide to Understanding Islam") I was told "That's probably going to put you on a list somewhere".

I started doing my prayers last night (long story, started in the middle of the day for a reason, but have continued today and will continue). They have no idea I do this. My concern is because I haven't talked about how serious my interest is, even with my husband, that when I'm out with my family, time for salah will come around and I won't know what to do. I'm not quite ready to "be public" yet (not completely anyways, how I conduct myself and dress are something I don't think is a problem). Until I know more and am stronger in my beliefs, I don't want to share this just yet.

Any advice? I'm concerned about this coming Wednesday, when my mom and I are going out for a while and I'm sure I'll not be at home around noon.

Thank you in advance.

nizar83

peace be upon you and your family sister..

i know for a fact tat the prayer isnt obligatory for a person that has only just entered into islam, what is obligatory at first is learning islam, by reading especially...only after you understand the basics and wisdom of the 5 pilars of islam, you will be able to do your salaat and believe me after understanding this, and reading about your rewards ..you wont care about what people might think..youll care about what your lord, the creator of the heavens and the earth, thinks off you inshallah

take care, be strong and especially read read read

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Peace Be Upon You, Valerie,

I checked on line for something which might help you and found this program.
I can't say if it is a good or bad program as I didn't download it. It says in the link to use adaam for a password if asked; so, I am not sure that it is a free program. Usually, free programs don't have passwords. Maybe someone else knows about it.

Valerie

Okay so question then... I'm learning how to do the prayers. English is the only language i speak so this is literally foreign to me. I'm kinda scared that I haven't done the prayers right, and then getting frustrated and feeling like I'm not doing them right so I'm not sure I should do it anymore til I learn to say everything correctly (preferably memorize). In my head it seems like it's not terribly difficult, but when I start doing it... I forget everything but the movements.

I don't want to be in trouble for not doing it, but I'm frustrated. If it's not obligatory right away (obviously I'd be working to learn)... It won't count against me will it?

I'm so frustrated at myself :(

Thank you for taking time for your answers... I appreciate it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sweet sister..first I would pray to Allah to give me strength. If it is a hardship delay your prayers. ( This is temporary). I say this because you do not want to be turned off. Pray removes stress. I read that prayer is the only time when you are free.
Make a place in your home that is reserved for prayer..a masala.
I have a section of my bedroom. I keep it girly and pretty..with my prayer rugs and beads and my Glorious Quran. We need structure in prayer. I get mine by keeping things at hand. at work I have my handy-dandy prayer rug that travels room to room with me. My students have gotten used to me and say oh..she at it again.

As our dear brother Frank suggested.there a many videos available to help you.Watch them.

My concern is your husband. You have to get real with him. You must muster up the courage and let him know. Forgive me as I am as usual not on topic.

Allah subhana talla will send you that which you need..so do not stress. And yes...people will notice a new you. In a sense you become innocent again. Its kinda nice.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Valerie, Allah looks at your intention and you will be rewarded for even an atom of good intention. So, my advice would be that if I were you and was sincere about wanting to be submissive to Allah, keep doing the prayer. Think of the most understanding person you know and then multiply that person by the largest number you know and you still haven't comprehended Allah's Greatness. [“All actions are judged by motives, and each person will be rewarded according to their intention. Thus, he whose migration was to God and His Messenger, his migration is to God and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari, Saheeh Muslim)]

We are all very glad that you have committed to following the path that the Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi was Sallem) has delivered to us and I am far from perfect in my memorization or pronunciation of Arabic. But, 10 years from now, Insha Allah, you will be sounding like you spoke Arabic you entire life. Stick with it. In the Arabic section her, Sister Revert has a link to her blog and there are excellent videos that go very slow and build gradually so you can learn the prayers in a very short time.

nizar83

SISTER VALERIE

on www.thedeenshow.com you can learn how to perfom the prayer and what to say while praying....loads of info in simple english even i as a dutch person did not have any problems with this..

aselemu aleikum

ow yeah just another piece of advice, always ask for evidence and proof if someone answers any of your questions...there is no rudeness in this at all..

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Sister Valerie, Just read these names, can imagine the greatness of Allah. I can't. I don't think any of us can comprehend Allah or find anything with which to compare Him :

99 NAMES of ALLAH courtesy of Sister Revert.