Reactions from the parents

cup of islam

Salam alkaium Brothers and Sisters,

My question for today is for the reverts of islam

1. How did you let your parents know you were reverting?
2.What were there reactions when you told them?

Maybe hearing some stories will encourage me to let my parents know
im just a like worried about there reaction.

Wasalam, your sister
amanda:shymuslima1:

umm hussain

walaikum salam warahmatullah

My mum was not happy and didn't want anything to do with me for a while but she got over that stage now, we speak about anything apart from religion because she does not want to know or hear about it. I have not told my dad but he knows through my mum and sisters/brothers. I thought he would not speak to me after hearing about it but alhamdulillah he does and even mentions it in conversations once in a while. He saw me for the first time in hijab last year and he did not comment but I think he is cool with it because he used to hate how I dressed before.

My mum was upset and tried to talk me into taking it off and wear my 'old' clothes, jeans, mini-skirts/dresses and definitely no hijab but she has accepted it now. It is a embarrassing for her to walk around with me in hijab, because she wants to hide the fact that I am Muslim so wearing hijab is like announcing to everyone she knows that I am a Muslim and she will have to explain herself i.e family, church friends, relatives etc.

You can read my reversion story here
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6243

aisha-uk

Salam Alaikum

well i didn't tell them until a year later, when i started to wear the headscarf. They are all back home (faroe islands) so it was easy to hide.. But my mum wanted to have some new pictures of me and the kids, where i hesitated... then one day we had this HUGE arguement about pork, where she asked me if i was a muslim and i said yes. she didn't say much, but hung up on me... there went around 3-5 days until she called me again and that was it.. she has since then open her mind towards islam, she does ask about alot of things and has started to come to me with the questions, instead of someone back home, Alhamdulillah..
the rest of the family know it, but don't say anything to me, but i know that i'm the main topic of every gathering there, Khair InshaAllah

Sir David

I have thought of this in advance if I do become a muslim . I will tell my sister and tell her to keep it a secret she will tell my mum who will not reveal she knows as it would reveal my sister told her . Then when I tell my mum she will not really be surprised

hayat_yahya

well, hamdulillah despite all i was worried abt and all i was thinking bad abt my family ..well they were pretty open mind and accepted all like a normal change, without stopping me or even try to change my mind...we had no argue or missunderstanding...i was telling my parents tht i am reading abt islam and tht i wanna try to learn arabic and later, with the time's passing, i told them abt the idea of reverting and mum just said i must think better and asked me to wait 1 year frm tht moment until i revert in order to be sure tht i want it seriously...but after like 4 months i reverted seeing no point of delaying it and i told them later and mum had a little regret cuse he did not see me when i said shahada...she said nothing cuse i reverted soon and did not wait the year she was asking 4...my reading abt islam before reverting was kinda 11 months but i was convinced frm the first months i think and i said shahada at home few times before doing it at masjid...after 7 months since i reverted i went 4 holidays to spend time with my parents and, amazing, 1st day i arrived at them i put hijab and frm tht moment i wear it full time...i am a hijabi hamdulillah! my parents did not stop me wearing hijab also...my mum said i look better without it but she did not said anything more like preventing me to wear it or arguing or being angry...in 1st moment they saw me with hijab they were more surprized then shocked and i felt a strange feeling 4 a second but soon they were looking and talking and behaving like before and my hijab did not stop them to go out with me or to present me as their daughter and supporting me...my mum and my sis r really close to me and help me by buying 4 me hijabs and decent dress and my sis even bought me as gift a book abt islam...and we understand each other better, maybe cuse i am more peaceful and tolerating now as muslimah and i try to understand them and help them even they r christian and i feel bad sometimes cuse of their behaving.but i learned tht u must love ur family and be close and support its members as ur family cares abt mosly as u r even if u r different...i live my family more now cuse they made everything easy 4 me and accepted me as muslimah and r always there when i need support...i have good parents hamdulillah! may Allah subhana wa ta'ala help them! ameen...even my grandma, which is a traditionalist christian going to church and all religious requirements, she did not oppose to my belief and she said tht it is just one God...i remember tht i avoided eating pork before reverting and mum did double work 4 the christmas holiday by making separate food 4 me with chicken meat and they did not upset cuse i was not having a holiday mood cuse i did not want to celebrate, i was just feeling grateful cuse i was with my family...