Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous) Selected Topics

acedoc

Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh

Bismilahir Rahmanir Raheem

Only through the learning of the Quran and hadith (authentic) can we attain a higher level of understanding of the deen of Allah. Prophet Mohammad (sws) said that the one Alalh loves HE gives him (or her) the understanding of the Deen (islam).

Thus dear brothers and respected sisters we must constant strive to learn our religion from these sources. There are several AUTHENTIC sources....just as there is much in the way of innovation, people expressing their opinons, or simply ignornace of muslims that can be found on the internet. If we are sincere we shall stick only to what has been authentically conveyed from Allah and His prophet (sws).

Insha Allah we will together take a project of learning through authentic books of Hadith.
Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous) by Imam An Nawwai is such a book. Alahmdulilah, it is now available on internet in its entirty in English. Please ask relevant questions if you do not ffully understand/follow any hadith. I am certainly NOT a scholar (that is why we need to rely upon what has been recogniczed by schloars good and valid resources of Islamic knowledge) but I am certain we can look-up any answers or ask respected scholars on the issues that are not clear to us. Please for Alalh sake do NOT express your opinon on any matter of the religion. You would not take any medical advice from a non-physician then why are muslims so eager to passand accept their personal judgement (or erronous knowledge that they may have learned from their ansectors). Please FEAR ALLAH before expressig your personal opinon on any religious matter.

In Alllah's name we begin.... with Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)
by An Nawwair

NOTE: "Commentary" here is by Imam An Nawwai not by me (acedoc)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1
Sincerity and Significance of Intentions and all Actions, Apparent and Hidden
Allah, the Exalted, says:

"And they were commanded not, but that they should worship Allah, and worship none but Him Alone (abstaining from ascribing partners to Him), and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat) and give Zakat, and that is the right religion.'' (98:5)

"It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Allah, but it is piety from you that reaches Him.'' (22:37)

"Say (O Muhammad (PBUH) ): Whether you hide what is in your breasts or reveal it, Allah knows it". (3:29)

1. Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him), reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "The deeds are considered by the intentions, and a person will get the reward according to his intention. So whoever emigrated for Allah and His Messenger, his emigration will be for Allah and His Messenger; and whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration would be for what he emigrated for".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: According to some Ahadith, the reason for this Hadith is that a person sent a proposal of marriage to a woman named Umm Qais, which she turned down saying that he should have to emigrate to Al-Madinah for it. Accordingly, he did it for this specific purpose, and the two were married there. On account of this event, the man came to be known among the Companions as Muhajir Umm Qais.

On the basis of this Hadith, 'Ulama' are of the unanimous opinion that the real basis of one's actions is Niyyah (intention) and everyone will be requited according to his Niyyah. It is true that Niyyah is founded in one's heart, that is to say, one has first to make up one's mind for what he intends to do and he should not express it verbally. In fact, the latter is a Bid`ah (innovation in religion) because no proof of it is found in Shariah.

The point which becomes evident from this Hadith is that Ikhlas (sincerity) is a must for every action. In other words, in every righteous deed, one should seek only the Pleasure of Allah; otherwise, it will not be accepted by Allah.

2. Narrated 'A`ishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "An army will raid the Ka`bah and when it reaches a desert land, all of them will be swallowed up by the earth.'' She asked; "O Messenger of Allah! Why all of them?'' He answered, "All of them will be swallowed by the earth but they will be raised for Judgement according to their intentions.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: Everyone will be rewarded or punished according to his aim and intention. This Hadith also proves that the company of depraved persons is extremely dangerous. Whose army would it be, which has been referred to in the Hadith, and when will it invade Ka`bah, is a matter known to Allah Alone. Such prophecies are a part of the Unseen world. Since they come in the category of the miracles of the Prophet (PBUH), it is necessary to believe in their veracity and occurrence. Believing in such prophesies is also essential because they were revealed by Allah).

*. Intention according to An-Nawawi: It means that goodness which ceased to continue by the cessation of emigration can still be obtained by striving in path of Allah and by intending accomplishing good deeds.

acedoc

Riyad As Saliheen continued.....

Abdullah bin `Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with them) narrated that: He heard Messenger of Allah (PBUH) as saying: "Three men, amongst those who came before you, set out until night came and they reached a cave, so they entered it. A rock fell down from the mountain and blocked the entrance of the cave. They said: `Nothing will save you from this unless you supplicate to Allah by virtue of a righteous deed you have done.' Thereupon, one of them said: `O Allah! I had parents who were old, and I used to offer them milk before any of my children or slaves. One day, I went far away in search of grazing and could not come back until they had slept. When I milked as usual and brought the drink I found them both asleep. I hated to disturb them and also disliked to give milk to my children before them. My children were crying out of hunger at my feet but I awaited with the bowl in my hand for them to wake up. When they awoke at dawn, they drank milk. O Allah! If I did so to seek Your Pleasure, then deliver us from the distress caused by the rock'. The rock moved slightly but they were unable to escape. The next said: `O Allah! I had a cousin whom I loved more than any one else (in another version he said: as a man can love a woman). I wanted to have sexual intercourse with her but she refused. Hard pressed in a year of famine, she approached me. I gave her one hundred and twenty dinars on condition that she would yield herself to me. She agreed and when we got together (for sexual intercourse), she said: Fear Allah and do not break the seal unlawfully. I moved away from her in spite of the fact that I loved her most passionately; and I let her keep the money I had given her. O Allah! If I did that to seek Your Pleasure, then, remove the distress in which we are.' The rock moved aside a bit further but they were still unable to get out. The third one said: `O Allah! I hired some labourers and paid them their wages except one of them departed without taking his due. I invested his money in business and the business prospered greatly. After a long time, he came to me and said: O slave of Allah! Pay me my dues. I said: All that you see is yours - camels, cattle, goats and slaves. He said: O slave of Allah! Do not mock at me. I assured him that I was not joking. So he took all the things and went away. He spared nothing. O Allah! If I did so seeking Your Pleasure, then relieve us of our distress.' The rock slipped aside and they got out walking freely".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary:
1. It is permissible to pray through our virtuous deeds. But to make someone a medium for it, is an innovation in Deen which should be avoided for two major reasons. Firstly, there is no evidence in Shari`ah to support this. Secondly, it is against the practice of Khair-ul-Qurun, the best of generations. (This term is used for the first three generations of Muslims, the one in which the Prophet (PBUH) lived and the two following).

2. Preference should be given to the service of parents, even over the service of one's own wife and children.

3. To abstain from sins out of fear of Allah is a highly meritorious act.

4. Labourers should always be treated fairly. If someone has paid to a labourer less than his due, it should be paid to him in a decent manner.

5. Any supplication which is made sincerely, and with real sense of humbleness is granted by Allah.

6. Allah sometimes helps His pious men even in an unusual manner, which is termed as Karamat (wonder or marvel). Thus, like the miracles of the Prophets, wonders of the righteous people are also true. But miracles and wonders both appear with the Will of Allah.