Saudi Aid Helps World Food Appeal

Meraj

Brother
:salam2:

Saudi Aid Helps World Food Appeal

CAIRO — Bailing out poor people around the world, Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, has donated half a billion dollars to the UN World Food Program (WFP) to battle the global food price crisis.

"The Saudi donation will keep many people from dying, others from slipping into malnutrition and disease, and will even help to stave off civil unrest," WFP executive director Josette Sheeran said in a statement on the agency's website.

The WFP, which operates in 78 countries and helps feed an estimated 73 million people, launched the 755 million dollar emergency appeal in March.

Thirty-one countries had given 460 million dollars to the WFP appeal before the Saudi donation came in.

"This contribution completes the World Food Program's appeal target of $755 million to respond to the rise in fuel and food costs," UN spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.

"The secretary-general notes that this contribution of an unprecedented size and generosity comes not a moment too soon, given the needs of millions of people dependent on food rations."

Global food prices have nearly doubled in three years, sparking violent protests in several countries.

Fearing social discontent, many countries strained their budgets to maintain huge food subsidies.

Rising populations, strong demand from developing countries, increased cultivation of crops for biofuels as well as floods and droughts have sent food prices soaring across the globe.

Based on UN records, global food prices rose 35 percent this year and 65 percent since 2002.

In 2007 alone, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization's world food index, dairy prices rose nearly 80 percent and grain 42 percent.

Last month, oil-rich Kuwait launched an Islamic food fund to help poor Muslim countries face the worsening global food crisis caused by surging prices.

Generous

The WFP said the skyrocketing food prices represent the foremost challenge which pushes about 130 million people into hunger.

"We turned to the world to help the hungry and the world has been generous," said Sheeran.

"This is an example of what humanitarians around the world can do when we come together to address problems that affect us all."

The Rome-based agency said the Saudi donations will help secure much-needed food for programs throughout Africa and other parts of the world.

"In particular, WFP will be able to continue to providing food for millions of children enrolled in school and therapeutic feeding programs in Kenya, Yemen, Ethiopia and Somalia and in many other critical hunger zones.

"The 500 million dollars from Saudi Arabia rounds out the appeal, and leaves an additional 214 million dollars available for other urgent hunger needs."

http://www.islamonline.net

:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

MashaAllah, this is a great news. Where is WATERDROP ???

Salaam,

I actually burst out laughing when I read that.

The Saudis have set the bar, now let's see if the other so-called humanitarian nations can measure up.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

muharram23

Staff member
Salaam,

I actually burst out laughing when I read that.

The Saudis have set the bar, now let's see if the other so-called humanitarian nations can measure up.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

salamu alaykum

this is a proof to some muslims who always talk evil about saudi. Those who say "saudi arabia never helps muslims". They also say "how come those arab countries never help?" But they do, either in secret or in open. They help alot. During and after the war in bosnia, kind Fahad r.a sent alot of money and help to bosnia, kosovo and rest of muslim world. Kuwait and other arab countries contribute alot of money. Just in one case the president of bosnia now said one time in an interview "we asked from quwait $10 million and they gave us $110. They have helped the islamic knowledge to be spread (which we need more than food and water). They translated and printed quraans and other beneficial books of knowledge in all languages and made it available to all muslims. That is why the dawah and muslims are returning to the deen and the sunnah all over the world. The saudi government gave scholarships to all countries around the world and had people come and study at the university of madinah and makkah. Not only free, but they would pay the students monthly enought that they could live nicely. Which university in the world does that? Just thought to put a little side note.

wasalam

A Kashmiri

I am sure Waterdrop would have heard this news, and would be trying to base his statistics on 100 years instead of 5 now as Saudi Arabia has given a lot to WFP.

The important thing to note is that they had given it to help poor people and countries in the world, not like the Kuffar Countries- American , west who use WFP as a political tool, medical testing tool etc.

When there was earthquake in Pakistan occupied Kashmir Gulf states gave millions of dollars and a lot of women went out to give all there jewellary to help the people affected by Quake.

However i firmly believe that muslim countries backed by OIC should have its own wing which delivers Food to poor people and countries in the world rather than WFP where lot of money is lost in bureaucracy.

Meraj

Brother

MashaAllah, this is a great news. Where is WATERDROP ???

such people will come again and again with new things....they cant digest such things which will not please them in anyway......they need guidance and which is only posible when they turn to Allah (subhana wa taala) with their pure heart and sincerity.....may Allah (subhana wa taala) guide us to straight path (ameen)..

Jazak Allah Kheiran Brothers and sisters.....

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

I would like to add some important points!!!

This donation HAS been made. This means the money has been transferred already to the charity.

Why do I bring this point up? Because many times, countries such as the USA, UK and others "Pledge" money, and it makes big headlines, but in the end nothing much is done about it.

Remember, next time anyone complains,

300,000 people died in the Tsunami, whereas the same number of people die each month in Africa from poverty and disease. Allah help them.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu alaykum,

I would like to add some important points!!!

This donation HAS been made. This means the money has been transferred already to the charity.

Why do I bring this point up? Because many times, countries such as the USA, UK and others "Pledge" money, and it makes big headlines, but in the end nothing much is done about it.
You mean they just promise and media makes news and in the end their promises end up like Iraq where they invaded on the PLEDGE to bring peace, justice, harmony and of course democracy . :SMILY335:

FULFILLED PLEDGE