Saying "Peace Be Upon Him"

OnlyOne

Assalamualaikum,

Does anyone know the Hadith where Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) curses the one who doesn't say, "peace be upon him" after his name? Are there any other sources for this?

My teacher, who's a Muslim, never says "peace be upon him" after saying the name of Muhammad (peace be upon him) and it bothers me. So I want to show him something so InshAllah he can start saying that. JazakAllah.

there are some really hard hadith about those people who dont say (sw) after prophet mohammad (sw) name

i read those hadith in bangla language
i dont have in english
may be some brother will be able to quote those hadith inshallah
if not then iwll give the page number of those books ,you can find it in english

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

What is prescribed for the Muslim when hearing the name of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is to venerate him and show respect by sending blessings and salaams upon him.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “May his nose be rubbed in the dust, a man in whose presence I am mentioned and he does not send blessings upon me.” Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 3545; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 6.

It was narrated from al-Husayn ibn ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The miser is the one in whose presence I am mentioned and he does not send blessings upon me.” Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 3546; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 5.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
The meaning of blessings and salaams upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)

Question:
What is the meaning of blessings and salaams upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

“Blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)” – according to the majority of scholars, what is meant is mercy from Allaah, prayers for forgiveness offered by the angels, and du’aa’ offered by humans. Others – including Abu’l-Aaliyah among the earlier scholars and Ibn al-Qayyim among the later scholars, and Ibn ‘Uthaymeen among the contemporary scholars – are of the view that the meaning of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is praise for him among the “higher group” (al-mala’ al-‘a’la, i.e., the angels, cf. al-Saffaat 37:8), and the prayers of the angels and the Muslims for blessings upon him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) are for him to be praised by Allaah among the “higher group” (the angels). Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) wrote a book on this topic entitled Jala’ al-Afhaam fi Fadl al-Salaati wa’l-Salaam ‘ala Khayr il-Anaam, in which he discussed at length the meaning of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the rulings thereon, and its benefits.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The phrase “Bless Muhammad (salli ‘ala Muhammad)” – it was said that blessing from Allaah means mercy, blessings from the angels means prayer for forgiveness, and blessing from humans means du’aa’.

If it is said: “The angels sent blessings upon him,” it means that they prayed for forgiveness for him.

If it is said, “The khateeb sent blessings upon him,” it means that he prayed for blessing for him.

If it is said, “Allaah sent blessings upon him,” it means that He bestowed mercy upon him.

This is well known among the scholars, but the correct view is something different, because blessing (salaah) is more specific than mercy. Hence the Muslims are unanimously agreed that it is permissible to pray for mercy for every believer, but they differed as to whether we may pray for blessings (using this specific word of salaah or salli ‘ala…) for anyone other than the Prophets. If the word salaah here is taken to mean mercy, then there is no difference between them, and just as we pray for mercy for a person we may send blessings upon them.

Moreover, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They are those on whom are the Salawaat (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided ones”

[al-Baqarah 2:157].

The word rahmah (mercy) is mentioned in conjunction with the word salawaat (blessings), which indicates that they are two different things, so the meaning of the verse is clear. The scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) used the word salaah (blessings) in some places and the word rahmah (mercy) in others, so salaah is the not the same as mercy. The best that cane be said concerning this is what Abu’l-‘Aaliyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The salaah (blessing) of Allaah upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is His praising him among the “higher group” (the angels).

So what is meant by Allaahumma salli ‘alayhi (O Allaah send blessings upon him) is: O Allaah, praise him among the higher group, i.e., among the angels who are close to Allaah.

If someone were to say that this is unlikely from a linguistic point of view, because salaah in Arabic means supplication, not praise, the answer to that is that the word salaah is also connected to the word silah (gift), and there can be no doubt that praise for the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) among the higher group (angels) is one of the greatest gifts, for praise may sometimes be more important to a person than all else. So a good mention is a great gift.

Based on this, the correct view is that sending blessings (salaah) upon him means praise for him along the higher group (the angels). End quote.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 3/163, 164

With regard to the meaning of sending salaams upon him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), this means praying for the soundness (salaamah) of his body during his lifetime, and the soundness of his religious commitment (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the soundness of his body in the grave, and his safety and well being on the Day of Resurrection.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The phrase al-salaamu ‘alayka. It was said that the meaning of al-Salaam is one of the names of Allaah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah is al-Salaam (the One Free from all defects)” and Allaah says in His Book (interpretation of the meaning): “the King, the Holy, the One Free from all defects” [al-Hashr 59:23]. So according to this view, the meaning is: May Allaah protect, keep safe and take care of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It is as if we are saying: Allaah is watching over you, protecting you, helping you, etc.

And it was said that salaam is a noun that comes from the root sallama (to greet), and means a greeting, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! send your Salaah on (ask Allaah to bless) him (Muhammad), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation, i.e. As‑Salaamu ‘Alaykum)” [al-Ahzaab 33:56]. The meaning of greeting the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is to pray for him and ask that he be kept safe from all harm.

It may be said: This du’aa’ is something obvious during his lifetime, (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but after his death, how can we pray that he be kept safe and sound when he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has died?

The answer is that prayer for safety and well-being are not limited to the time when someone is alive. There are the terrors of the Day of Resurrection yet to come. Hence the prayer of the Messengers when the people cross al-siraat (a bridge over Hell) will be: “Allaahumma, sallim, sallim (O Allaah, grant safety, grant safety).” A man does not cease to face danger and harm just because he has died.

So we pray for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), that he will be kept safe from the terrors of the standing (on the Day of Resurrection).

We also say that there may be a more general meaning, i.e., that safety and protection for him also includes protection for his sharee’ah and Sunnah, that they may be kept safe from the hands of those who would tamper with them, as the scholars said concerning the verse (interpretation of the meaning): “refer it to Allaah and His Messenger” [al-Nisa’ 4:59] – they said: Refer to him during his lifetime, and to his Sunnah after his death.

Is the phrase “al-salaamu ‘alayka” a statement or a du’aa’? i.e., are you saying that the Messenger is protected, or are you praying that Allaah will protect him?

The answer is that it is a du’aa’, asking that Allaah will protect him. So it is a statement that serves as a du’aa’.

Is addressing the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) like one person addressing another?

The answer is no. If that were the case, then the prayer would be invalidated thereby, because no ordinary human speech is acceptable during this prayer. If that were the case, the Sahaabah would have said it out loud so that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would hear them, and he would have returned the greeting, as happened when they met him. But, as Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] said in his book Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem: Because you think so much about the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when you send salaams upon him, it is as if he is in front of you and you are addressing him.

Hence the Sahaabah used to say “Al-salaamu ‘alayka” although he could not hear them, and they would say “Al-salaamu ‘alayka” when they were in one land and he was in another, and we say “al-salaamu ‘alayka” although we are in lands other than his, and in a time other than his. End quote.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 3/149, 150

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

zarqa

Please dont take offence but as i haven't converted yet if i ever talk about the prophet (pbuh) i always say it in my mind. is this allowed?

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Sister Zarqa,

You are welcome any time to ask whatever you like. You are not being offensive at all. You asked a good question. It took me some time to find the answer. Posted below is an answer I found to a question that is similar to yours. Sending blessing and salams to the Prophet peace be upon Him is considered a form of dhikr (remembrance). I didn`t find any ruling specific to saying ''peace be upon him'' in the heart or verbally. But after reading the answer below, I personally would say it verbally and mean it from the bottom of my heart. How much energy is it going to take for someone to say ''peace be upon Him''? Take care.

:saw2:

Is it essential to move the tongue when reciting Qur’aan and dhikr?​

Question:
When we want to say some dhikrs, is it obligatory to move the mouth? For example, when we want to enter the bathroom and recite dhikr, should we move our mouths or is it sufficient to say it in our minds? And when we want to go to sleep or say the adhkaar for the morning?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Remembering Allaah (dhikr) is one of the noblest deeds that a Muslim can do. Dhikr is not only verbal; rather we may remember Allaah in our hearts, on our lips and in our physical actions.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The phrase dhikr Allaah (remembrance of Allaah) includes everything by means of which a person may draw close to Allaah, such as belief (‘aqeedah), thoughts, actions of the heart, physical actions, praising Allaah, learning and teaching beneficial knowledge, and so on. All of that is remembrance of Allaah.

Al-Riyaadh al-Nadrah, p. 245

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

Remembrance of Allaah (dhikr) may be in the heart, on the tongue or in one’s physical actions. The basic principle is remembrance in the heart as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “In the body there is a piece of flesh which, if it is sound, the entire body will be sound, but if it is corrupt the entire body will be corrupt. It is the heart.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim. What counts is remembrance in the heart, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and obey not him whose heart We have made heedless of Our remembrance, and who follows his own lusts”

[al-Kahf 18:28]

Remembering Allaah with one's tongue or physical actions without remembering Him in one's heart is a serious shortcoming; it is like a body without a soul.

Remembering Allaah in one's heart means thinking about the signs of Allaah, loving Him, venerating Him, turning in repentance to Him, fearing Him, putting one's trust in Him, and other actions of the heart.

Remembering Allaah on one's tongue means speaking all words that will bring one closer to Allaah, above all saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah.

Remembering Allaah with one's physical actions means every deed which brings one closer to Allaah, such as standing, bowing and prostrating in prayer, engaging in jihad, paying zakaah. All of these are remembrance of Allaah, because when you do them you are obeying Allaah. Hence you are remembering Allaah when you do these actions. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and perform As‑Salaah (Iqaamat‑as‑Salaah). Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) prevents from Al‑Fahsha’ (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse) and Al‑Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed) and the remembering (praising) of (you by) Allaah (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising) of Allaah in prayers]”

[al-‘Ankaboot 29:45]

One of the scholars said: this means that what prayer includes of remembrance of Allaah is more important. This is one of the two scholarly views concerning this verse.

Tafseer Soorat al-Baqarah, 2/167, 168.

Secondly:

With regard to the adhkaar which are spoken on the tongue, such as reciting Qur’aan, saying tasbeeh (Subhaan Allaah – glory be to Allaah), tahmeed (al-hamdu Lillaah – praise be to Allaah) and tahleel (Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah – there is no god but Allaah), and the dhikrs to be recited in the morning and evening, when going to sleep, when entering the washroom, and so on, it is essential to move the tongue, and a person is not regarded as having said them if he does not move his tongue.

Ibn Rushd narrated in al-Bayaan wa’l-Tahseel (1/490) that Imam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about a person who recites when praying, but no one can hear him, not even himself, and he does not move his tongue. He said: “This is not recitation, rather recitation is that in which the tongue moves.” End quote.

Al-Kasaani said in Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’ (4/118)

Recitation can only be done by moving the tongue to say the sounds. Do you not see that if a worshipper who is able to recite does not move his tongue, his prayer is not acceptable? Similarly he swears that he does not recite a soorah from the Qur’aan but he looks at it and understands it but he does not move his tongue, then he is not breaking his oath. End quote. i.e. because he has not recited it, rather he has only looked at it.

This is also indicated by the fact that the scholars said it is not allowed for a person who is junub to recite Qur’aan with his tongue, but they said it is permissible for him to look at the Mus-haf and recite Qur’aan in his heart, without moving his tongue. This indicates that there is a difference between the two things, and that not moving the tongue is not counted as reading or reciting.

See al-Majmoo’, 1/187-189

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Is it obligatory to move the tongue when reciting Qur’aan in prayer or is it sufficient to say it in one's heart?

He replied:

Recitation must be done with the tongue. If a person recites it in his heart when he is praying, that is not sufficient. The same applies to all other adhkaar; it is not sufficient to recite them in one's heart, rather it is essential to move one's tongue and lips, because they are words to be spoken, and that can only be achieved by moving the tongue and the lips. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 13/156

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Please dont take offence but as i haven't converted yet if i ever talk about the prophet (pbuh) i always say it in my mind. is this allowed?

assalamualikum sister.

its depended in which kind of situation you are now.

sometimes when i am in school then i say prophet jesus (pbuh)
then some students ask me why i say (pbuh)
then they start to ask me about the prophets etc.

i think its can be also a way to give someone dawah.

Globalpeace

Banned
Thank You!

Go on Sis!

We are not offended; we are actually very happy about you showing respect.

Grest stuff.