Skim-reading everything

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam 'Aleikum,

Lately, I have realised I'm affected by a weird syndrom: I skim-read everything!

When I read something (anything) I just whoooossssh through and just get to the end, unless it's really interessting and even then I am so tempted to jump a line or two to get to the end.
And if it's something online, then it's even worse.
It's now becoming an effort to read slowly, word by word, line by line.

Alhamdulilaah, perhaps the only book I don't skim-read is the Qur'an!

Any solutions?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

try to read small books which are important first.

and read slowly....it will take time to make it a habit

and duas of course.

:)

auroran

:salam2:

Is it a habit?

My teacher said that it takes twice as long to get rid of the habit than the time you continued it. I kind of forgot what he said though. If you have been doing this for one week, it will take two weeks for you to get rid of this habit.

I'm sure you can figure out a way to get rid of it through Google. Insha' Allaah ta'aala your problem will be solved.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu dear sister

This is aslo happening to me sometimes,and it may be due to my wish to reed everything SubhanAllah, so I start to read fast, and miss some parts of text on that way, especialy when I read text online.

But when I read book Alhmadulilah I read slow and it does not happen to me this "weird syndrom". :hijabi:. And Allah knows the best why is like that.

I advice you dear sister to try to read always slow every text, does not metter if you read book or some online next, and Inshallah when you get used on this kind of reeding, than you will read always slow and with attention.

And Allah knows the best.

May Allah bless you

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Example: it took me about 5 seconds to read the 3 posts!

Then, obviously I try and go back and read carefully every word but it's such an effot :eek:

Asja; thanks sis ! Usually if I want to read an article online and it's long and I'm really interested then I would just print it off. I cannot read very long articles online, my finger is just scrolling down the page ''/

Fourteen; I've noticed this 'issue' since January :s

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

It's something I use in forums, when reading through posts unless I am replying to the post. In fact I skim read everything up there ^^^^.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asja; thanks sis ! Usually if I want to read an article online and it's long and I'm really interested then I would just print it off. I cannot read very long articles online, my finger is just scrolling down the page ''/

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu

You are most welcome dear sister. :hijabi:. May Allah subhan wa teala guide us always to advice and help each others for His sake Only.

I think dear sister that everything is related with our habits, so is best that you make dua to Allah that He help you and take away this habbit from you Inshallah and that you try to read always on slow way, untill it becomes your new habit. :hijabi:

And Allah knows the best!

May Allah help you dear sister. :tti_sister:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam

I try to read all the posts as best I can and do not miss words. Although I do read fast, and it is skim reading, but inshaaAllah without missing words.

wasalam

Ameer

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

Teach yourself to Speed Read perhaps? You can train the muscles in your eyes like any other muscle in the body. Speed Reading harnesses the ability to read very fast, but not miss out much information in the text either.

Personally I found this book really helpful, or just search for resources by Tony Buzan. Youtube 'speed reading' for a taster of what it entails.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

It's something I use in forums, when reading through posts unless I am replying to the post. In fact I skim read everything up there ^^^^.

tut tut tut

If you have skim-read everything up-there and replied to the thread then you have not applied your own rule!

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalamu'alaykum,

Teach yourself to Speed Read perhaps? You can train the muscles in your eyes like any other muscle in the body. Speed Reading harnesses the ability to read very fast, but not miss out much information in the text either.

Personally I found this book really helpful, or just search for resources by Tony Buzan. Youtube 'speed reading' for a taster of what it entails.

Wa'aleiki salaam Fajr,

So is there a difference between skim-reading and fast reading?

Lemme check the links out! Thanks sis

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
tut tut tut

If you have skim-read everything up-there and replied to the thread then you have not applied your own rule!

No I meant that I only read the post I am replying to, and I read your first post properly.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

Wa alaykum salam

Yes, we were taught speed reading in Grammar school using Tony Buzan's book, and also mind mapping skills. Mind maps are cool.

Skim reading is used in researching. It should be used when you are looking through a lot of information to find something relevant to whatever you are researching.

noor aldeen

please read slowly the quran and think on every ayah
this will give you more hasanat
i hope allah guide you to the right path

Aroosak

I think this is a phenomena of our new generation. Since we are bombarded by so much information around us with computers, cellphones, TVs, radios and all those electronics is hard to focus on something and therefore we are forced to use our time efficiently and skim read or graze through some readings.

I do it all the time but with things that are not essential for me or that I do not need to memorize. But when reading a book or the Quran or at school I try to avoid doing it since it is important to understand all the information shown there.

If this is bothering you try some techniques to avoid skimming through your readings. Don't stress yourself and try to look at things you enjoy reading. Also test yourself after reading something to make sure you are truly getting what is in it.
:muslim_child:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I think a good trick would be to actually imagine the voice of the written word, and then reading them at the level the person would say it - or, just whisper, or mouth the words to yourself at first, and then when you get the habit of reading slowly, it might help you out.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

Are you able to remember later what you skimmed through? I used eyeQ speed reading software to read fast and remember the words still needs more.

I just saw this tweet
Shaikh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah read al-Ghaylaaniyyaat in one sitting. It consisted of 11 volumes and contains 1200 hadiths. [al-Jaami' li seerat shaikh al-Islaam p. 188]

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

I think skim-reading skill is not only bad; if you are studing and have to read a lot of books during short time and if you also can make mind maps about what you are reading it just helps you remember things.

With reading as free time; select good book, have a comfortable seat and enough time just for yourself. Open the book and try to enjoy the text. Some snacks beside you might be good too. You aren´t hurry to anywhere there - just go inside of story and enjoy words.