Snippets from Al-Fawaid

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
Subhan Allah!!

jazakallah khiaran akhi for sharing these thought provoking snippets...

Assalam alaikum

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
:salam:

#Middle Path

If knowledge is useful without actions, Allah, The Exalted would have never dispraised the people of the Book, and if actions were useful without devotion, He would never have dispraised the hypocrites.

[Al-Fawaid, A Collection of Wise Sayings by Ibn-Qayyim]

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Three Levels of Piety:
  • Protecting the heart and limbs against sin and forbidden actions.
  • Protecting them against undesirable matters.
  • Protection against curiosity and whatever is not of one's concern.
The first will grant life to the servant, the second will grant him health and power, and the third will grant him happiness and joy.

Peace.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Could someone explain what does it mean to abandon something for the sake of Allah and that Allah will grant him something better than that he has abandoned, in shaa Allah?

Jazakumullahu khayran.

Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh, akhy.

First, that saying is a hadeeth. It's considered to be da`eef (weak) by some and hasan (sound/good) by others.

Someone posed this same question to shaykh Saalih ibn sa`ad As-Suhaymee, saying, "What is the meaning of: 'whoever leaves something off for Allaah's sake, Allaah will compensate him with better than it"?

He answered: "This hadeeth, among those who considers its soundness good, means that if you were to abandon some of your rights, then Allaah will recompense all ofyou with better.
For example, if there was an argument or disagreement between you and your brother, or you and your wife, or you and some people for instance, and you forfeited something from your haqq (right) seeking the Face of Allah, far is He above any imperfections, Most High, then you will be compensated with better by the permission of Allah 'azza wa jall.
It is also applicable to, inshaa Allah, one who used to have dealings in sins and the like, however he turned away from them and directed himself towards Allah and upon the obedience of Allah, and thus Allah, Blessed be He, Most High, will soon bring about better for this person."

I think the story of Yusuf `alayhis-salaam and the wife of Al-`azeez is a great example of this statement.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Assalaam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

I am not sure have i really understood the meaning, but how about the permissible things, is it good to leave permissible things in the hope of reward from Allah?

Permissible things...such as what, brother?

If something's been made permissible for us by the Grace of Allaah `azza wa jall, then why should we make it impermissible onto ourselves?
As the prophet :saw: said, this deen is ease, Alhamdulillaah, so we shouldn't go to extremes and make it hard upon ourselves.

I believe there are many, many things we do that we shouldn't be doing in the first place and if we abandon them, Allaah `azza wa jall will re-compensate us with somethings far better than them. Like Riba, lying, cheating, backbiting, gossiping, gazing at opposite genders, Music, idle speech, excessive laughter and much more...

(PS. Br Uniqueskates, I apologize for going off-topic. )

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

I am not sure have i really understood the meaning, but how about the permissible things, is it good to leave permissible things in the hope of reward from Allah?

Glad you asked a question akhi. Love questions :D They make me think!

I asked the question to an imam near my home. He gave an example (paraphrasing it) There was a time during the Prophet SAW when Aisha RA had got a camel as food. So what Prophet SAW did was, he told to keep only how much was needed and give off the rest to the people. So Aisha RA kept only the thigh part of the camel (how much ever was needed) and gave off the rest. So how it applies to the question you asked, By giving off the rest of the camel's meat to the people, for the sake of Allah. He increased his saving account for Hereafter. To explain it better, By giving off the permissible meat to people, He increased his blessings and increased his deeds for Hereafter.

Another incident he told me was, of Fatima RA and Ali RA, (Am not sure of the wordings) Somebody came to Fatima RA and asked for charity, she gave off, again somebody came and she gave off, third time again someone came and she gave. After sometime, someone else came to Fatima RA and Ali RA with 10 times of what they had given. SubhaanAllah. Allah increases it by 10 folds.

Hope it helps akhi. :)

I believe there many, many things we do that we shouldn't be doing in the first place and if we abandon them, Allaah `azza wa jall will re-compensate us with somethings far better than them. Like Riba, lying, cheating, backbiting, gossiping, gazing at opposite genders, Music, idle speech, excessive laughter and much more...

(PS. Br Uniqueskates, I apologize for going off-topic. )

:salam: sister.

Don't be sorry for such things. :) I no like them. Hehe. Rather am happy you took a step to answer the brother.
JazakAllahu Khairan for replying to the brother's post & also for sharing the incident.
And true that! Lot of things to get rid off, Pheww!! Very long list sister.

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

SubhaanAllah. A Lovely one. :) MashaaAllah!

Tree of Love:

If the roots of knowledge hold onto the heart, the tree of love will grow in it and if it becomes stronger it will bear the fruits of obedience and it will keep on giving its fruit at all times by the leave of its Lord.

Peace.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Akhy, Uniqueskates, I think the way your imaam explained it and what the brother asked are slightly different.

The brother meant "leaving off" permissible acts in order to seek reward from Allaah. And your imaam mentioned incidents where the ashaab "gave away" some of their provision rather than "leaving off or abandoning" things... I dunno, but these two just seem different from each other to me.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Akhy, Uniqueskates, I think the way your imaam explained it and what the brother asked are slightly different.

The brother meant "leaving off" permissible acts in order to seek reward from Allaah. And your imaam mentioned incidents where the ashaab "gave away" some of their provision rather than "leaving off or abandoning" things... I dunno, but these two just seem different from each other to me.

I agree with you sister. "Abandon" is basically used for leaving a negative thing, but the Brother asked about permissible things, so I modified the meaning of abandon a little :D Oopsy. Guess I shouldn't have done that.

P.S - I would love it if you reply for my Salaam's. :) Don't want you to miss out the lil good deeds also I don't want to miss out hearing "peace be upon you". ;)

Peace.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
I agree with you sister. "Abandon" is basically used for leaving a negative thing, but the Brother asked about permissible things, so I modified the meaning of abandon a little :D Oopsy. Guess I shouldn't have done that.

P.S - I would love it if you reply for my Salaam's. :) Don't want you to miss out the lil good deeds also I don't want to miss out hearing "peace be upon you". ;)

Peace.

Wa'alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh, akhy. I usually reply to salaams, I don't know how I missed yours.

And no, you did just fine, maashaa'Allaah. I'm the one who misunderstood him.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa alaykum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

What i tried to ask was that is there any reward for leaving off something that is permissible, for example eating apples?

The word "anything" in the text caused a bit of confusion to me.

The wording in Arabic is, "man taraka shay'an...", and i'm not sure as i'm not an Arab, but "shay'an" in this sentence means "something" rather than "anything".

Every action is by intention, is it not? So if you leave off something (for no reason, as in the case of an apple) even though Allaah `azza wa jall has made it permissible for you, with the intention of getting rewarded for it, then I don't know, akhy, that's up to Allaah to reward you or not.

But the example of the eating of an apple is not very practical, because it's neither harmful to your Imaan or your health. Unless you mean not eating it because you're giving it away to someone else instead, like how `Aisha gave away the camel's meat... That would make sense. Even though it really has nothing to do with the "man taraka shay'an" (whoever leaves off/abandons something) hadeeth.
Like in the case of an argument--you're in a heated argument=>you forfeit=>the argument ends=>Allaah fixes you and that person's relationship
Or haraam earnings--you quite the job=>no more sinning=>Allaah gives you an even better job. (65:2-3)
Or listening to Music--you listen to music=>Raan (black spots) form around your heart=>low iimaan=>you make du`aa/stop music=>no more Raan=>Allaah increases your iimaan

So for every act you abandon, the outcome is always positive, mashaa'Allaah.
Does it make sense now, brother?

That's how I understood it.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

"Afflictions are Trails":

Afflictions are but trails by which the faithful are distinguished from the unfaithful, and if you were to succeed therein, they would be turned to supporters by which you could attain your objective.

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Vigilant seek refuge in Master's House:

When those, who are vigilant, observe the influence of this worldly life upon those who seek it, the deceit of false hopes, the control of Satan, the domination of souls, and material fortune in hands of evil ones, they resort to piety and submission, like a scared slave who seeks refuge in his master’s house. The desires directed at this worldly life are simply deceptive enjoyment, and the insight of the ignorant is restricted to superficial matters, while the wise man perceives that which is hidden from the others.

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

The difference between you and righteous people:

The difference between you and righteous people are the influence of vain desires, so if you want to approach the righteous, overpower your desires. This worldly life is like a racetrack, but the dust is overwhelming and the race cannot be seen. The people therein are either mounted or dismounted, or the owners of slaughtered beasts.

Peace.