Stem Cell Research: An Epic Debate

What is your view on Stem Cell Research?

• I Strongly Support it

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I am Completely Against it

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • It depends on the situation

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
:salam2: Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'd like to talk to you today about a very controversial subject.

For those of you who are not familiar with the concept of Stem Cell Research, let me briefly explain what it is and why it is so controversial.

Stem Cells are cells which are found in Human Embryos. Stem cells are cells that are able to differentiate into specialized cell types but also retain the ability to renew themselves through cell division. In other words, they are able to copy themselves and make themselves into any cell types that are surrounding it.

For example if you have stem cells next to some muscle tissue, it will develop it's self into muscle tissue as well.

Sounds simple right?

Unfortunately, as simple as it may sound, it has a lot of controversy surrounding it.

Many people debate Stem Cell Research to be unethical, due to the fact that stem cells are pretty much the first sign of life, or the human fetus. Stem Cells are the first cell which will eventually divide it's self to make rest of the Organism.

The Pros and Cons:

Pros: Since stems cells have the potential to be differentiated into basically all cell types, they offer promise in the development of medical treatments for a wide range of conditions. These include damage to the brain, spinal cord, skeletal muscles, and the heart. Treatments that have been proposed follow either physical trauma (e.g. spinal cord injuries), degenerative conditions such as Parkinson's disease. Stem Cell therapy even offer the promise to heal genetic diseases in combination with gene therapy. Much success and potential has been demonstrated from research using adult stem cells.

Cons: With the present state of technology, the creation of a human embryonic stem cell line requires the destruction of a human embryo. Stem cell debates have motivated and reinvigorated the pro-life movement, whose members are concerned with the rights and status of the embryo as an early-aged human life. They believe that embryonic stem cell research instrumentalizes and violates the sanctity of life and constitutes murder. The fundamental assertion of those who oppose embryonic stem cell research is the belief that human life is inviolable, combined with the opinion that human life begins when a sperm cell fertilizes an egg cell to form a single cell.

So there you have it. That's pretty much a brief run down of what Stem Cell Research is all about.

So now that you know or you knew about Stem Cells and the pros and cons of the research behind it, what is your opinion on this subject?

Are you for it, or are you against it? Please also state why you feel the way you feel.

My opinion: I'm actually for it, believe it or not. I'm well aware of the fact it is somewhat unethical but I believe when you put the pros and cons of it side by side, the pros over rule the cons. I am for one very much against the idea of abortion, but not unless the removed fetus is donated to Stem Cell Research. Which is then obviously is distribute for a good cause. In my opinion, it's a lot like giving blood. It is ultimately used to save lives.

Looking forward to your opinions.

:wasalam:

warda A

Sister
in between

:salam2:
all lives are precious, that is what i believe in and no one has a right to take it away but ...........
if it is neccessary,depends on the situation

when we do not have other alternatives then it is ok, i believe.

that is my opinion

i seriously dont know but if u want to do stem cell research i think u need a live and healthy fetus to do all the testing and c how it responds...that should b haraam then cause theyre doing it on some1 that is physically alive although not mentally

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

It's haram to kill a fetus, yes you are doing research but you are still killing a human fetus.

Basically, Islam considers life as a sacred gift from God Almighty. No one is allowed to take or stop the life of anyone else except by way of justice or according to the Islamic law. Thus, the Holy Quran says: "Say: Come, I will rehearse what God has really prohibited you from: Join nothing as equal with Him; be good to your parents, kill not your children on a plea of poverty; We provide sustenance for you and for them; approach not shameful deeds, whether open or secret; take not life, which God has made sacred, except by a way of justice and law (Chapter 6, Verse 151).

In another verse, the Holy Quran says: "Kill not your children for fear of want; it is We who provide sustenance for them as well as for you; for verily killing them is a great sin.
(Chapter 17, Verse 31).

What should we understand from these two verses? First of all, it is a grave sin to take the life of children for fear of want as was the habit during that period. Neither is it allowed to do so for any other reason unless a great evil is caused by the presence of the fetus that may cause the death of the mother.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
i seriously dont know but if u want to do stem cell research i think u need a live and healthy fetus to do all the testing and c how it responds...that should b haraam then cause theyre doing it on some1 that is physically alive although not mentally

"With the present state of technology, the creation of a human embryonic stem cell line requires the destruction of a human embryo."

The fetus is actually killed before it gets taken out of the mother, regardless if the mother is donating to Stem Cell Research or not. Thats pretty much how abortion works. So it isn't alive to begin with. The actual Stem Cell can regenerate and form its self into any types of cell that are surrounding it. The fetus doesn't have to be alive for that procedure.

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
Faisal, if that is your name brother, I do not understand you. You should rather stick to the quran and sunnah than the western "rationality" you see:

If you are using the stam cells of aborted beings, normal abortion because the mother doesn't wish to have the child, money trouble etc., then it simply means you indirectly indicate that abortion is okay and that you actually support that fact & BENEFIT from it, right?!

oh and can anyone in here try to find a fatwa on this, I tried but no results came up

salam aleikum

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Faisal, if that is your name brother, I do not understand you. You should rather stick to the quran and sunnah than the western "rationality" you see:

If you are using the stam cells of aborted beings, normal abortion because the mother doesn't wish to have the child, money trouble etc., then it simply means you indirectly indicate that abortion is okay and that you actually support that fact & BENEFIT from it, right?!

oh and can anyone in here try to find a fatwa on this, I tried but no results came up

salam aleikum

Dear Sister, my opinion of Stem Cell Research has nothing to do with what other people may think, regardless of if they are from the west or not. The opinion I have is derived from my personal logic, not of any other people.

There are people all over the world that supports Stem Cell Research just as there are also people all over the world who are very much against it. A lot of East Asian countries such as South Korea supports Stem Cell Research. It has nothing to do with the West only. In fact in the U.S it's banned currently and is under heavy debate to have it un-banned.

That being said, I think you misunderstood my opinion about abortion. I realize that there are some mothers out there who can't support a new born and as a last resort they have to go to an abortion clinic. I don't have any problems with that. Their reason for the abortion is between the mother, and Allah(Swt). I can't be the judge of that. However, if you are going to abort your fetus, at least have it donated for a good cause like Stem Cell Research. I'm against the idea of abortion where mothers don't sign the papers to have the fetus donated. Believe me they are asked everytime by the doctors, and they explain what it will be used for. Those who refuse to donate are pretty much killing.

I know in the Quran it says killing is wrong, but it also states that you should help out those who are in pain and distress.

Do you see why it's a big debate?

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
That would be good...a fatawa :D

FINALLY I found something alhamdulillah, I made a little mistake in my research....

here you go folks:

Fatwa No. : 88372
Fatwa Title : Stem cell research in Islam
Fatwa Date : 10 Jumaadaa Al-Aakhirah 1425 / 28-07-2004

Question

What is the Islamic view on I don't know the equivalent in Arabic research?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Stem cell research is done by using an aborted human fetus. Dr. Omar Al-Ashqar did some research about this matter in his book: "Fiqh studies about some modern medical issues," and he concluded the following: " it is forbidden to abort a fetus just for the purpose of this operation (stem cell) as it is a transgression on the fetus regardless of whether the fetus is still in its early stages or otherwise, and even before the soul was insufflated in it. Aborting for this purpose is a means of destroying progenity. As for the fetus that was aborted for health reasons or aborted beyond the will of the person, it is concluded that there is no objection to use it in scientific experimentation or benefit from it by taking some of its organs or tissues for the sick patients who need them".

He said in the last chapter of this research: "profiting from the fetus is similar to profiting from the person other than the fetus. Their ruling is the same. In both cases, the permission of the Wali (guardian) is a pre-condition."

No doubt that Dr. Al-Ashqar chose to allow this in the second situation because the advantage of benefiting from fetuses here is greater than the disadvantage to human beings needing treatment.

Allah knows best.

source: http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/ShowFatwa.php?lang=E&Id=88372&Option=FatwaId

www.islamonline.net differs in their oppinion from www.islamweb.net ...it would be great if people knew some other islamic pages and posted several fatwas, insha'Allah

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
FINALLY I found something alhamdulillah, I made a little mistake in my research....

here you go folks:

Fatwa No. : 88372
Fatwa Title : Stem cell research in Islam
Fatwa Date : 10 Jumaadaa Al-Aakhirah 1425 / 28-07-2004

Question

What is the Islamic view on I don't know the equivalent in Arabic research?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Stem cell research is done by using an aborted human fetus. Dr. Omar Al-Ashqar did some research about this matter in his book: "Fiqh studies about some modern medical issues," and he concluded the following: " it is forbidden to abort a fetus just for the purpose of this operation (stem cell) as it is a transgression on the fetus regardless of whether the fetus is still in its early stages or otherwise, and even before the soul was insufflated in it. Aborting for this purpose is a means of destroying progenity. As for the fetus that was aborted for health reasons or aborted beyond the will of the person, it is concluded that there is no objection to use it in scientific experimentation or benefit from it by taking some of its organs or tissues for the sick patients who need them".

He said in the last chapter of this research: "profiting from the fetus is similar to profiting from the person other than the fetus. Their ruling is the same. In both cases, the permission of the Wali (guardian) is a pre-condition."

No doubt that Dr. Al-Ashqar chose to allow this in the second situation because the advantage of benefiting from fetuses here is greater than the disadvantage to human beings needing treatment.

Allah knows best.

source: http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/ShowFatwa.php?lang=E&Id=88372&Option=FatwaId

www.islamonline.net differs in their oppinion from www.islamweb.net ...it would be great if people knew some other islamic pages and posted several fatwas, insha'Allah

Thank you for sharing that with us. What I have underlined, supports my opinion about abortion. When a mother can't support the new born for any medical reasons or etc. and she wishes to have it aborted, I'm okay with that as long as it's used for Stem Cell Research.

However there are mothers who wants to have an abortion just for sake of it and won't sign the paper to have the fetus donated. That I believe is wrong. And in the fatwa above, the sentence I marked in bold supports this part of my opinion.

Thanks again for the fatwa.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I know I am getting ancient. As I become more familiar with the benefits of the medicines and cures that our Prophet (swas) left us, I feel there is little else we need to look for. I wonder at times why people forget that most of the cures lie in faith.
I read that our Prophet (swas) suffered more maladies than any other human. I believe that with all my heart. I know that our illness do cure our sins.
Life belongs to Allah subhana tall as does death. We need to remember deep in our hearts when and where do we bow our heads.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Yeh I see what youre saying.

So in order to save a newborn I would have to support the killing of another - I wouldnt refuse the treatment, I dont even think it would be a difficult decision, I wouldnt think twice before accepting it, as I said before though, its not the research thats a problem - its the way in which the stem cells are obtained - I think im just mega pro-life/anti-abortion.

Lets just say, if I ever do medical research (I wont lol) then I would refuse to do stem cell research on fetuses aborted for unjustified reasons.

Exactly, thats the same way I feel. The bottom line is, no matter how you look at it, abortion is murder. There is a no doubt about that. However, given diffrent circumstances which are unique for diffrent individuals, I think it's a matter of choosing "the best of two evils" in a sense. I strongly support Stem Cell Research, but in a debate where the topic may only be Abortion, I stand in middle. Because like I said before, I only support abortion if only the fetus is used for a good cause. If not, then I disagree with abortion. :D

Durriyyah

Forever Student

I put that it depends because I've heard information where we no longer need to use embryos in order to do the research. If we can do the research without having to kill embryos then I am all for the research.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Question: Are there any circumstances when embryonic stem cell research would be Islamically allowed?

Answered by the Scientific Research Committee - IslamToday.net

We would maintain that the fetus in the womb should be respected, even after death. However, stem cell research generally relies upon a procedure called therapeutic cloning conducted outside the womb. Below is our discussion about embryonic stem cell research from our website’s article on cloning. You may view the entire article at the following link:

The Question of Cloning

----------------------

Therapeutic cloning is also referred to as embryo cloning. It involves the production of human embryos for medical research. This procedure is not intended to produce cloned human beings, but rather to generate stem cells that can be used to study human development and to treat disease. These eggs are never planted in a womb and are never brought to term. It is hoped that one day, human stem cells may be used as replacement cells in the treatment of such diseases as heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer.

Stem cells are produced in a fertilized human egg after it has divided for five days and has become as blastocyst. The extraction of these stem cells destroys the embryo. Egg cells need to be collected from women’s ovaries. The nuclear genetic material is then removed from these egg cells. Thereafter an adult tissue cell (like a human skin cell) is inserted in the egg’s nucleus. The egg is then stimulated to initiate cell division.

One day therapeutic cloning might be able to generate tissues and organs for transplants. The DNA would be extracted from the patient needing the transplant and inserted into an egg. After this egg starts to divide, embryonic stem cells would be harvested that could then be transformed into any type of tissue. These stem cells would be used to generate an organ or other tissue that genetically matches the recipient and that could then be transplanted into the patient without the risk of tissue rejection. In the future, this could significantly reduce the need for organ donors. It is important here to mention that such organs would be grown in isolation and not as part of a complete organism.

This procedure brings up the ethical question of the definition of human life. We are dealing with a human embryo. Does this embryo in the first few days of its existence enjoy the rights and the sanctity of a human life?

The majority of scholars permit abortion during the first 120 days of pregnancy out of necessity on the strength of the hadîth:

“One of you is brought together in his mother’s womb for forty days as a drop, then another forty days as a clot, then another forty days as a lump of flesh. Then the angel is sent to him and his soul is breathed into him.” [Sahîh al Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

This hadîth indicates that the human form is not endowed with a soul until 120 days after conception

However, the vast majority of scholars only allow abortion within this time period when there is a physical or emotional necessity involved, like a high possibility that the baby will be born deformed or in cases where the woman has been raped. Though the soul has not yet been breathed into it, it is still a potential human life. One question that must be asked is whether the potential lives that may be saved in the future warrant destroying a human embryo. The answer to this question, taken in isolation of other considerations, would probably be in the negative.

However, there are other matters to consider. A far more essential question is whether such an embryo can even be said to constitute a potential human life. We can safely say that the unfertilized egg does not constitute a human life. We can also safely say that the process of artificial fertilization that is going on in the laboratory is not being done with the intention of producing a human life. (If it were, it would be prohibited for the reasons we have already discussed in the section on human cloning.) We must also consider the fact that even if the embryo were not destroyed by the extraction of the stem cells; it would have no chance of survival on its own, since it is not in a womb or even in an artificial environment that could bring it to term. Finally, the time of its destruction is very early on in its development – five days. This is an extremely short period of time.

Because of these differences, and in consideration of the benefits that could be realized for humanity from this procedure, we incline to the idea that therapeutic cloning of this sort is permissible. However, these questions warrant further investigation.

Dr. Sâmî al-Mâjid offers the following statement about therapeutic cloning:

If the meaning of this procedure is to produce fully cloned adults, children, or even a fetus so that its organs can be used as substitutes for another, then this is categorically prohibited. The reason for this is that we are dealing with a human life created by Allah, even though it is a clone. Its limbs and organs cannot be put on the market – even if it is still a fetus – since it is sacred. However, if it is possible to clone specific organs in isolation, like a heart or a liver or a kidney to be provided to those who need such organs, then this is something welcomed by our religion and worthy of reward, because of the benefits that it brings to humanity without bringing harm to anyone.

One final objection that is sometimes raised for all unnecessary medical procedures involving human reproductive cells, is that they require the exposure of the female sexual organs to a doctor without there being a pressing medical necessity for the woman being exposed. This objection has been levied by a few scholars against a host of medical procedures – like in-vitro fertilization – that are not critical to the health of the patient. However, considering the real and potential benefits to humanity from this research, we maintain that such an objection should not be used to prohibit therapeutic cloning, even for those scholars who prohibit fertility treatments on these grounds.

And Allah knows best.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression

Question: Are there any circumstances when embryonic stem cell research would be Islamically allowed?

Answered by the Scientific Research Committee - IslamToday.net

We would maintain that the fetus in the womb should be respected, even after death. However, stem cell research generally relies upon a procedure called therapeutic cloning conducted outside the womb. Below is our discussion about embryonic stem cell research from our website’s article on cloning. You may view the entire article at the following link:

The Question of Cloning

----------------------

Therapeutic cloning is also referred to as embryo cloning. It involves the production of human embryos for medical research. This procedure is not intended to produce cloned human beings, but rather to generate stem cells that can be used to study human development and to treat disease. These eggs are never planted in a womb and are never brought to term. It is hoped that one day, human stem cells may be used as replacement cells in the treatment of such diseases as heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer.

Stem cells are produced in a fertilized human egg after it has divided for five days and has become as blastocyst. The extraction of these stem cells destroys the embryo. Egg cells need to be collected from women’s ovaries. The nuclear genetic material is then removed from these egg cells. Thereafter an adult tissue cell (like a human skin cell) is inserted in the egg’s nucleus. The egg is then stimulated to initiate cell division.

One day therapeutic cloning might be able to generate tissues and organs for transplants. The DNA would be extracted from the patient needing the transplant and inserted into an egg. After this egg starts to divide, embryonic stem cells would be harvested that could then be transformed into any type of tissue. These stem cells would be used to generate an organ or other tissue that genetically matches the recipient and that could then be transplanted into the patient without the risk of tissue rejection. In the future, this could significantly reduce the need for organ donors. It is important here to mention that such organs would be grown in isolation and not as part of a complete organism.

This procedure brings up the ethical question of the definition of human life. We are dealing with a human embryo. Does this embryo in the first few days of its existence enjoy the rights and the sanctity of a human life?

The majority of scholars permit abortion during the first 120 days of pregnancy out of necessity on the strength of the hadîth:

“One of you is brought together in his mother’s womb for forty days as a drop, then another forty days as a clot, then another forty days as a lump of flesh. Then the angel is sent to him and his soul is breathed into him.” [Sahîh al Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

This hadîth indicates that the human form is not endowed with a soul until 120 days after conception

However, the vast majority of scholars only allow abortion within this time period when there is a physical or emotional necessity involved, like a high possibility that the baby will be born deformed or in cases where the woman has been raped. Though the soul has not yet been breathed into it, it is still a potential human life. One question that must be asked is whether the potential lives that may be saved in the future warrant destroying a human embryo. The answer to this question, taken in isolation of other considerations, would probably be in the negative.

However, there are other matters to consider. A far more essential question is whether such an embryo can even be said to constitute a potential human life. We can safely say that the unfertilized egg does not constitute a human life. We can also safely say that the process of artificial fertilization that is going on in the laboratory is not being done with the intention of producing a human life. (If it were, it would be prohibited for the reasons we have already discussed in the section on human cloning.) We must also consider the fact that even if the embryo were not destroyed by the extraction of the stem cells; it would have no chance of survival on its own, since it is not in a womb or even in an artificial environment that could bring it to term. Finally, the time of its destruction is very early on in its development – five days. This is an extremely short period of time.

Because of these differences, and in consideration of the benefits that could be realized for humanity from this procedure, we incline to the idea that therapeutic cloning of this sort is permissible. However, these questions warrant further investigation.

Dr. Sâmî al-Mâjid offers the following statement about therapeutic cloning:

If the meaning of this procedure is to produce fully cloned adults, children, or even a fetus so that its organs can be used as substitutes for another, then this is categorically prohibited. The reason for this is that we are dealing with a human life created by Allah, even though it is a clone. Its limbs and organs cannot be put on the market – even if it is still a fetus – since it is sacred. However, if it is possible to clone specific organs in isolation, like a heart or a liver or a kidney to be provided to those who need such organs, then this is something welcomed by our religion and worthy of reward, because of the benefits that it brings to humanity without bringing harm to anyone.

One final objection that is sometimes raised for all unnecessary medical procedures involving human reproductive cells, is that they require the exposure of the female sexual organs to a doctor without there being a pressing medical necessity for the woman being exposed. This objection has been levied by a few scholars against a host of medical procedures – like in-vitro fertilization – that are not critical to the health of the patient. However, considering the real and potential benefits to humanity from this research, we maintain that such an objection should not be used to prohibit therapeutic cloning, even for those scholars who prohibit fertility treatments on these grounds.

And Allah knows best.

Jazakallah Kahyr for sharing that. It clears up a lot of things. I'm glad to see that it is permisible in Islam.

Oh and sister Durriyah, I've heard of that research as well. Hopefully it will come through one day Inshallah.

dianek

What about if the embryo were "cloned"? A test tube baby? If this were the case, I could see allowing it. But if they can clone human embryos, can't they clone stem cells? And in Islam, doesn't it say something about it not being a "life" until after 3 months when the soul is breathed into it? This is what my husband said each time he asked me to end the 3 of our children's pregnancies......he lost those battles obviously! Alhumdulillah!!!! He was afraid to not be able to provide properly just yet, but Allah provides! Have no doubt.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
And in Islam, doesn't it say something about it not being a "life" until after 3 months when the soul is breathed into it? This is what my husband said each time he asked me to end the 3 of our children's pregnancies......he lost those battles obviously! Alhumdulillah!!!! He was afraid to not be able to provide properly just yet, but Allah provides! Have no doubt.

I thought the soul was breathed into the fetus 9 days after conception??? Anyone know forsure??:wasalam:

stemhope

I just wanted to say that this whole controverisal topic is not specific enough. If you are asking if people are supporters of Stem Cell research, it is important to not automatically assume that all Stem Cells come from human embryos. In fact the newest and most widely adoptable treatments are being done with Cord Blood Stem Cell's (CBSC's). After the baby has been born a needle is inserted into the umbilical cord and the blood is extracted, purified, screened, and stored. This is able to cure more the 75 degenerative diseases including, Multiple Sclorosis, ALS, cancers, Rhumetoid Arthritis, and even Spinal Cord Injuries. This means that kids born with a wide variety of diseases can be cured without "destroying embryos" and that people that you love very much don't have to spend years of their lives undergoing radiation treatment, or not even able to control bladder functions. If you are interested in more information please let me know. I will gladly offer up whatever case studies, or articles I have.