Stepdaughter

Raed

Muslim Student
Al slam Alikum

I have question regarding this ayah in Surat Al-Nisaá:

(Your stepdaughters under your guardianship, born of your wives unto whom you have gone in -- but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in unto them,) to marry the stepdaughter.

In this ayah it shows that: The Stepdaughter is Prohibited in Marriage Even if She Was Not Under the Guardianship of Her Stepfather....

dose that mean that the stepdaughter shouldnt wear Hijab infront of her stepfather, or she will be like her daughetr?

Im confused a bit even after i read tafsir ibn katheer...
I hope some can explain here...

Wa slam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Brother,

The stepdaughter is prohibited from marryinig her stepfather (i.e. he is a mahram) if he had sexual intercourse with her mother. This is regardless of whether he brought her up himself or she is an adult and he did not bring her up.

If the stepfather never had intercourse with her mother (i.e. divorce, death of mother before intercourse), then he is not a mahram, and should therefore wear hijab in front of him.

The ruling of whether he is a mahram to her or not, depends on if her mother had intercourse with him (the stepfather) or not.

And Allah knows best.

Raed

Muslim Student
Thank you very much brother...

I was just wondering, because I know one sister who is from KSA she has a stepfather, well her guardian was her father but died so she went to live with her mother and stepfather, as i know he become mahram... but she was complaining because this stepfather looking at her in sexual way so many times... (since he is maharm she dosent wear hijab infron of him)....

I know there are such sick people but this incident happens alot...

misalat

:salam2: brother,
our brother has already explained your question well and i hope you have understood it well, but just wanted to add my advice to such sisters to be carefull, about the limit of step fathers, fathers in law, etc ... even though they are their mahram, it doers not mean they can show all their beauties to them. they should be modest enough in the presence of such men. there is always a limit to uncover. this is just my view and incase there is anything disputing from our beautiful religion, pls ignore it. and i say :astag:

:wasalam:

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Thank you very much brother...

I was just wondering, because I know one sister who is from KSA she has a stepfather, well her guardian was her father but died so she went to live with her mother and stepfather, as i know he become mahram... but she was complaining because this stepfather looking at her in sexual way so many times... (since he is maharm she dosent wear hijab infron of him)....

I know there are such sick people but this incident happens alot...

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Islam even implies that the real daughter when reaches puberty, should try umost to keep the shap of her body in proper clothes. Even a real daughter is not allowed to hug her father if she is adult. Same applies to the real sister towards real brother.

The case you are mentioing is much more vulnerable and maximum care should be taken that the shap of body and open hair should not be visible to the step father. If a girl feels that her step father has some bad thoughts then there is a great possibility for it to be true, because it is probable that a step father does not have the same feelings and thoughts which he could have for real daughter.

So better to stay away as much as possible.

Wassalaam,
VE

Raed

Muslim Student
Thank you very much for all brothers who replied...

I know that Islam teaching us everything in life, but for a young girl who has no guardian and evil stepfather , that was really anoyyed me and i wanted to express it here and find some healing answers... anyway i suggest her to marry as soon as someone comes to marry her, so he will be her guardian..

Wa slam

visionusman

being content
If some one is evil, then I think it might really not matter whether he is a mahram or not. The man is evil and therefore the young girl should be careful any way and could wear the hijab in front of him as well. Infact women should ideally always wear the hijab. We know that some sick people would be evil even to their own blood relatives. This does not change the general ruling of who is a mahram and who is not.

Globalpeace

Banned
Step-daughter

W-Salam Brother,

Let's check of Tafsir of Ibne-Katheer (RA) below.

The Stepdaughter is Prohibited in Marriage Even if She Was Not Under the Guardianship of Her Stepfather

Allah said,

(...your stepdaughters under your guardianship,) The majority of scholars state that the stepdaughter is prohibited in marriage for her stepfather [who consummated his marriage to her mother] whether she was under his guardianship or not. The Two Sahih recorded that Umm Habibah said, "O Messenger of Allah! Marry my sister, the daughter of Abu Sufyan (and in one narration `Azzah bint Abu Sufyan).'' He said,

(...your stepdaughters under your guardianship,) The majority of scholars state that the stepdaughter is prohibited in marriage for her stepfather [who consummated his marriage to her mother] whether she was under his guardianship or not. The Two Sahih recorded that Umm Habibah said, "O Messenger of Allah! Marry my sister, the daughter of Abu Sufyan (and in one narration `Azzah bint Abu Sufyan).'' He said,

Had I not married Umm Salamah, her daughter would not have been allowed for me anyway.) Consequently, the Messenger stated that his marriage to Umm Salamah was the real reason behind that prohibition.

I have heard from the scholars that their Hijab would be a bit relaxed and NOT like a complete stranger; Hijab nevertheless would apply.

Al slam Alikum

I have question regarding this ayah in Surat Al-Nisaá:

(Your stepdaughters under your guardianship, born of your wives unto whom you have gone in -- but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in unto them,) to marry the stepdaughter.

In this ayah it shows that: The Stepdaughter is Prohibited in Marriage Even if She Was Not Under the Guardianship of Her Stepfather....

dose that mean that the stepdaughter shouldnt wear Hijab infront of her stepfather, or she will be like her daughetr?

Im confused a bit even after i read tafsir ibn katheer...
I hope some can explain here...

Wa slam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
that is a bit excessive
what now we can't hug our fathers?

where is your evidence or proof, for saying its not allowed

:D, its really difficult to realize a thing against what you were used to?

Sister, do you have any idea what is incest? How should Islam prevent that?
Islam prohibits the root of every fitnah. And you should know what is the root of the fitnah of incest. Do you gurantee that there is no incest happening in the world?

Not hugging the father or brother, does not imply that they have bad thoughts (Nauzubillah), but it is better to avoid a full hug in which body's shape is felt. A private part is after all a private part. It does not become public that you go hug your mehrams in whatever way you like. Your private parts are private from the mehrams also.

Anyway, I will try to find the reference, InshaAllah.

Wassalaam,
VE