Swimming!

AishaR

:salam2:

My GP was strongly recommended I take up swimming to help my a medical condition.

I cant go swimming as people will see me in a bathing suit which is allowed. I have seen you can buy a bathing suit which has leggings & sleeves, like the ones professional swimmers wear.

Are these allowed, as they cover most of the body???

Or can someone suggest another way of getting around this problem?

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam,

If there is no mixed swimming and there is no way for men to see you, then inshaAllah its OK. So female only.

If you can find group of Muslim sisters who swim, then thats better.

Wasalam

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
My GP was strongly recommended I take up swimming to help my a medical condition.

May Allah help u to pass ur medical condition...and u'll be in good health u and All ur family..and All muslim..

May Allaah heal you and grant you good health.

I cant go swimming as people will see me in a bathing suit which is allowed.

Masha` Allah..that's good..:ma: :ma: :ma:

When Allaah, may He be exalted, and His Messenger :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoin something, it is obligatory for the Muslim to say, “We hear and we obey,” and to hasten to carry out what has been enjoined upon him. This is what is required by faith in Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”
[al-Ahzaab 33:36]

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
It is not for a believer, man or woman means: it is not appropriate or befitting for the one who is described as a believer to do anything other than to hasten to please Allaah and His Messenger, and to flee from incurring the wrath of Allaah and His Messenger, and to obey their commands, and to avoid that which they have prohibited. It is not appropriate for a believing man or a believing woman when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter and enjoined it, that they should have any option in their decision. They do not have the choice of whether to do it or not, rather the believing man and the believing woman know that the Messenger is dearer to them then their own selves, so they should not let their own whims and desires form a barrier between them and obeying the command of Allaah and His Messenger.

And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error means, an obvious error, because he has forsaken the Straight Path which leads to the reward of Allaah, and has strayed to another path which leads to a painful torment. So Allaah mentions first the reason for not going against the command of Allaah and His Messenger, which is faith, then He mentions the deterrent for that, which is fear of going astray, which leads to punishment and humiliation. End quote.

Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 612.

The Messenger :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that the one who disobeys him is the one who does not want to enter Paradise! Al-Bukhaari (7280) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “All of my ummah will enter Paradise except those who refuse.” They said: “O Messenger of Allaah, who would refuse?” He said: “Whoever obeys me will enter Paradise and whoever disobeys me has refused.”

When the command of hijab came, the first Muslim women hastened to obey it, so much so that the women tore their clothes in order to hasten to obey this command. This is what is meant by faith.
It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: May Allaah have mercy on the women of the early muhaajireen. When Allaah revealed the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)”, they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari in a mu’allaq report and by Abu Dawood (4102); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said:

Muroot, sing. murt (translated here as “aprons”) refers to the izaar or lower garment.
Fath al-Baari, 8/490

Our advice to those sisters is to hasten to obey the command of Allaah without any hesitation, and not to try to obey part of the command and neglect part of it. It is obligatory for a woman to cover her hair, face and all of her body, and it is not permissible for her to show any part of that in front of non-mahram men. Whoever does that is exposing herself to the threat and is lacking in faith to the extent that she is failing to respond to the command of Allaah.​

u should know

Ruling on women wearing pants and bathing suits

Verses and hadeeth about Correct Hijaab

I have seen you can buy a bathing suit which has leggings & sleeves, like the ones professional swimmers wear.

<1st> Also this professional swimmers wear not Allowed ..
due to.. this dress shows the shape of their ‘awrah

u should know that Correct Hijaab

(It should be loose, not tight so that it describes any part of the body).

The purpose of clothing is to prevent fitnah (temptation), and this can only be achieved if clothes are wide and loose. Tight clothes, even if they conceal the colour of the skin, still describe the size and shape of the body or part of it, and create a vivid image in the minds of men. The corruption or invitation to corruption that is inherent in that is quite obvious. So the clothes must be wide.

Usaamah ibn Zayd said: “The Messenger of Allaah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave me a thick Egyptian garment that was one of the gifts given to him by Duhyat al-Kalbi, and I gave it to my wife to wear. He said, ‘Why do I not see you wearing that Egyptian garment?’ I said, ‘I gave it to my wife to wear.’ He said, ‘Tell her to wear a gown underneath it, for I am afraid that it may describe the size of her bones.’”
(Narrated by al-Diyaa’ al-Maqdisi in al-Ahaadeeth al-Mukhtaarah, 1/442, and by Ahmad and al-Bayhaqi, with a hasan isnaad).

If a woman does something like this, it will be a means of taking away her modesty, and if a woman’s modesty is taken away from her, do not even ask about the evil consequences that may follow, unless Allaah blesses her with righteousness which will restore to her the modesty which is her birthright.

<My Advice>

wearing Correct Hijaab and go to any location no one can see u and swimming to help ur medical condition.

<wasalam>

Hajar

Staff member
wa alaykum assalam sis,

You can just wear some loose cloths and go swim inshaAllah. And same what brother Mabsoot said... If you go swimming its better to go where its female only or with only muslim sisters. :)

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

Question:Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
Are Women allowed to swim in a secluded place together?
If yes. How are they supposed to dress as any dress will stick to the body when wet. Please explain in detail
Wassalaam

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Anything that could be a source of temptation among women must be prevented. So their swimming in clothes that do not cover their ‘awrah (parts of the body which must be covered) properly because they stick to the body is something that is not allowed. If they swim in clothes that cover them, in a place far from the gaze of men, and cover themselves as soon as they come out of the water so that others will not see them in clothes that show the shape or colour of their ‘awrah, then there is nothing wrong with this so long as they adhere to the shar’i conditions. And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
wa alaykum assalam sis,

You can just wear some loose cloths and go swim inshaAllah. And same what brother Mabsoot said... If you go swimming its better to go where its female only or with only muslim sisters. :)

My advise the enthusiastic youth not to indulge in matters of which they do not have knowledge. Regarding the matter of giving fatwas without knowledge,
it is sufficient for us to note the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning)

“And on the Day of Resurrection you will see those who lied against Allaah (i.e. attributed to Him sons, partners) their faces will be black” [al-Zumar 39:60]

<wasalam>

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Assalam.

Question:Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
If yes. How are they supposed to dress as any dress will stick to the body when wet. Please explain in detail
Wassalaam

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Anything that could be a source of temptation among women must be prevented. So their swimming in clothes that do not cover their ‘awrah (parts of the body which must be covered) properly because they stick to the body is something that is not allowed. If they swim in clothes that cover them, in a place far from the gaze of men, and cover themselves as soon as they come out of the water so that others will not see them in clothes that show the shape or colour of their ‘awrah, then there is nothing wrong with this so long as they adhere to the shar’i conditions. And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

May Allah reward u 4 sharing this fatwa:ma: :ma: :ma:

<wasalam>

AishaR

Thank you all for your replies.

I think there is women only sessions once a week at my local pool. I will have to look into sisters only too.

inshallah I will sort something out.

Kanini

i can swim very well and i find it harder to swimin long baggy clothes that in a swim suit. And when it comes to competition u want nothing holdin u back. Is it halal to wear a swim suit, even if it is women only? I also have another question about athletics. I am a very talented athlete. And it is very diffficult to run in a sweat pants when trying to break a record. I believe this is the only option fore a muslima since it is very long and baggy. The other options are the shorts which comes up to ur thighs or the long pants which covers everything but itis tight. Allah has given me alot of talent and i donnot want to waste it but there are some hard conditions for being a good muslim.(im not yet one but im workin on it) So cant i just wear the swim suit in the pool and then immediately put on something when i get out and wear my shorts when running and then immediately after the race put on my sweat pants or is there some other way.

Islam is an EXTREMELY difficult religion

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

There are plenty of women ONLY and Muslim WOMEN only places in London where you can swim Insha'Allah.

Check your local council & alsmot all council swimming places in the UK have women only days and timings...

I am sure that there are sisters on TTI from London who can help you find a place Insha'Allah.

I cant go swimming as people will see me in a bathing suit which is allowed. I have seen you can buy a bathing suit which has leggings & sleeves, like the ones professional swimmers wear.

saima11

if you wear baggy clothe to swim in when your clothe get wet they will stick to your body that will show off your figure how could dat be right wheather your swimming with muslim sisters or not could someone help me out

Globalpeace

Banned
Sister Activities in Brimingham!

Asslamo Allaikum,

When I was new to TTI; I accidentally browsed into the Sister section & noticed that there is a group of practising Muslim Sisters in Brimingham who are involved in a lot of activities...

Please feel free to go into the section and browse the web-site given, Phone & e-mail contacts are listed....

You can also ask Sisters as to how they do it; as my opinion will just be based on Theory.

if you wear baggy clothe to swim in when your clothe get wet they will stick to your body that will show off your figure how could dat be right wheather your swimming with muslim sisters or not could someone help me out

umm hussain

If you go to the Sisters sensitive area there is a thread about a burqini or something by that name for swimming in complete with hijab maybe that might help.

Wulf

Here in Australia a Surf Club recently formed a Muslim Lifesaver squad, I am not sure of which club it was, but they actually designed a costume for female Lifesavers that was aproved for them.
From memory it covered to the knees, the neck and had long sleeves.

hafz

Take a read of this.

Concerning Women Going to Public Baths

In consideration of Islam's concern for women's 'awrah and its proper covering, the Prophet (peace be on him) warned the Muslim woman against entering public baths and disrobing in front of other women, who might subsequently make her physical characteristics a topic of their gossip and vulgar comments.

Similarly, the Prophet (peace be on him) warned the Muslim man against entering public baths without a waist wrapper. Jabir narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) said, Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day must not enter the public bath without a lower garment (to cover his private parts), and whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day must not let his wife go to the public bath. (Al-Mondhari in Al-Targheeb says that this was reported by al-Nisai and by al-Tirmidhi, who classified it as "good.", Al-Hakim reported it and called it "sound.")
And 'Aishah said, At first the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) prohibited people from going to public baths, but later allowed men to enter them wearing a lower garment. (The wording is from the report of Abu Daoud; also reported by al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah.)

Exception to this prohibition is made for the woman who suffers from some illness for which warm baths are beneficial and for women following childbirth. 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr narrated that the Prophet (peace be on him) said concerning public baths that Men must not enter them without a lower garment. Prevent women from entering them except when sick or after childbirth. (Reported by Ibn Majah and Abu Daoud. One of the transmitters is Abdur-Rahman Ziyadah ibn 'An'am al-Ifriqi.)
There is some weakness in the transmission of this hadith, but it is supported by the rules of the Shari'ah which makes concessions in worship and other obligations for a sick person, and by the well-known principle that what is prohibited as a precaution becomes permissible in the case of need or benefit. It is also supported by a hadith reported by al-Hakim on the authority of 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas, who narrated that the Prophet (peace be on him) said, 'Beware of a building called the Public Bath.' Some people said, 'O Messenger of Allah, it certainly removes dirt and benefits the sick.' He then said, 'Then whoever enters should cover his nakedness.' (Reported by al-Hakim, who classifies it as "sound.")

If a woman enters a public bath without a valid reason or need, she has committed a haram act and deserves the censure of the Prophet (peace be on him). Abul Malih al-Hadhali reported that some women from Homs or Damascus came to visit 'Aishah and she said, "Are you from a place where women go to the public baths? I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) saying, A woman who removes her clothes (i.e., goes naked) outside her husband's house tears down the veil (hijab) between herself and her Lord.'' (Reported with this wording by al-Tirmidhi; also reported by Abu Daoud, Ibn Majah, and al-Hakim, who classified it as "sound" (al-targheeb).)
And Umm Salmah narrated that the Prophet (peace be on him) said, "If any woman takes off her clothes outside her own house, Allah will tear His covering from her."

When Islam takes such a strict view of women's entering public baths which are, after all, buildings with four walls in which only women are allowed, imagine its judgement concerning the nearly-nude women lying about on beaches and the swimming pools, exposing their nakedness to the hungry and lustful eyes of every passer-by without any sense of shame. Assuredly they have torn down every veil between themselves and their most Merciful Lord. And their men are partners in their sin, since they are responsible protectors of their women. If only they knew!
Allah knows best! I stopped going swimming for this reason because you have to completely undress to change your clothes
.Now we are all aware of the fitnah's with cameras.So many innocent women have been filmed removing their clothes in shops changing rooms etc these are sold as *!*!*!*! films.Believe me this is happening everywhere.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Is it halal to wear a swim suit, even if it is women only?

Women swimming

Question:
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
Wassalaam

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam Q&A

I also have another question about athletics...........The other options are the shorts which comes up to ur thighs or the long pants which covers everything but itis tight.

Question: What is the ruling if a group of Muslim women organizing some sporting activities for Muslim women to engage in while they are properly covered? These activities include swimming, jogging, bungee jumping (jumping down a bridge with the feet tied to a very long elastic rope), bicycle riding, and many others. Is it correct for Muslim women to participate in such sporting events as long as they are properly covered?

Answered by Sheikh `Abd Allah b. Muhammad al-Tayyâr, professor at al-Qasîm University

It is permissible for a woman to engage in any such sporting activities with the permission of her guardian as long as those activities are of benefit to her and do not involve her in any of the following:

1. exposing her body to non-mahram men

2. near-nudity among other women

3. mixing with men

4. physical harm to herself

If these conditions are met, then there is nothing wrong with her engaging in sporting activities similar to the practice related about the Prophet (peace be upon him) that he engaged in footraces with `Â’ishah.

And Allah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen was asked about this and he replied:

Tight clothing which reveals a woman’s charms is forbidden, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two types of the people of Hell whom I have not seen: men with whips like the tails of cattle with which they strike the people – meaning wrongfully and aggressively – and women who are clothed yet naked, and walk with an enticing gait.”

The phrase “clothed yet naked” was interpreted as meaning that they wear short clothes which do not cover that which should be covered of the ‘awrah. It was also interpreted as meaning that they wear light clothes that do not prevent others from seeing the woman’s skin underneath. And it was interpreted as meaning that they wear tight clothes, so that they are covered and cannot be seen, but their bodily charms can be seen.

On this basis, it is not permitted for a woman to wear these tight clothes, except in front of the one before whom she is permitted to show her ‘awrah, who is the husband – for there is no ‘awrah between husband and wife, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts) Except from their wives or (the slaves) that their right hands possess, ¾ for then, they are free from blame” [al-Mu’minoon 23:5-6]

And ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and I used to do ghusl – i.e., from janaabah (impurity following intercourse) – from one vessel, taking it in turns to dip our hands into the vessel.”

So there is no ‘awrah between a man and his wife.

But between a woman and her mahrams, she has to cover her ‘awrah.

It is not permissible to wear tight clothing, either in front of one's mahrams or in front of other women, if it is excessively tight and shows the woman’s charms.

(Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, 2/825)

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, may Allaah preserve him, said:
It is not permissible for a woman to wear short clothes in front of her children and mahrams, or to uncover more than is customary in front of them of that which will not cause any fitnah. She may wear short clothes in front of her husband only.

(Al-Muntaqaa min Fataawa Fadeelat al-Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, 3/170)

(See: Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 1/417, 418 – compiled by Ashraf ‘Abd al-Maqsood).

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan also said:

Undoubtedly for a woman to wear something tight that shows her bodily charms is not permitted, except in front of her husband only, but in front of anybody else, it is not permitted, even if it is in the presence of other women, because she could be a bad example to others – if they see her dressing like this they may do the same.

Also: a woman is commanded to cover her ‘awrah with loose and concealing clothes in front of everyone, except for her husband. She should cover her ‘awrah in front of women just as she does in front of men, except for what women customarily uncover in front of other women, such as the face, hands and feet, whatever it may be necessary to uncover.

(al-Muntaqaa min Fataawa Fadeelat al-Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, 3/176, 177).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

I think the answer provided by Sister Hafz is most appropriate to understand.

Wassalaam,
VE

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
i can swim very well and i find it harder to swimin long baggy clothes that in a swim suit. And when it comes to competition u want nothing holdin u back. Is it halal to wear a swim suit, even if it is women only? I also have another question about athletics. I am a very talented athlete. And it is very diffficult to run in a sweat pants when trying to break a record. I believe this is the only option fore a muslima since it is very long and baggy. The other options are the shorts which comes up to ur thighs or the long pants which covers everything but itis tight. Allah has given me alot of talent and i donnot want to waste it but there are some hard conditions for being a good muslim.(im not yet one but im workin on it) So cant i just wear the swim suit in the pool and then immediately put on something when i get out and wear my shorts when running and then immediately after the race put on my sweat pants or is there some other way.

Islam is an EXTREMELY difficult religion

Dear sister,

I want to recommend you a definite video to know what is true and false between Islam and Christianity.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=961180591411776337

Secondly , the following video as well as my signature(Quranic verse) answer your comment that Islam is 'Extremely' difficult religion. Specially try to listen the end part of the video very carefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-SzGZ9CVA

Bye.

loveislam1

Asalam Alikoum
When I was younger I was an athlete, I even went to the Olympic Training Center and also I saw one of my partners compete and win a gold medal in the olympics this past winter games.

I ate, drank, slept, sports, it was my life, I wonder if I would have found ISLAM had I kept going I doubt it because the sport BECOMES like a persons religion you dont think of anything else so alhamdullilah I am muslim! but that is another story....

To this day I still bike and skate, but I do so wearing the full islamic dress, I wear loose fitting pants and long shirts and my scarf, it has not hindered my ability in any way! And if I was still competing I would wear my hijab proudly to competition..... there are many athletes, one I can think of is the lady who won the 100 meters recently from bahrain who wore hijab. Why cant you do that? No I dont advise you to wear short while running., even if you put on pants afterwards. I pray that Allah shows you that this religion is not hard it is hard to disobey HIM for me now subhanallah