Syed Qutb

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:salam2:

Can some one advice me whether its advisable to buy this author's Qur'an translation please?

Ibn Katheer is not available by volumes anymore but Syed Qutb is....so i wanted to buy tafseer juzz Tabarak, i'd really appreciate sound advice may Allah reward you.

a_stranger

I think if you read that book with good intention ...it is a treasure , but if you search for mistake you shall find them .....it is a work of a human but what a human (Rahmatu Allah alaih) Every time i read his words i feel more faith,

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
I think if you read that book with good intention ...it is a treasure , but if you search for mistake you shall find them .....it is a work of a human but what a human (Rahmatu Allah alaih) Every time i read his words i feel more faith,

Jazakallahu khayran akhi for the reply, but what mistakes are these that you mentioned? i'm interested in his aqeedah, manhaj etc, things that might affect how hw translated the Qur'an (if any).

a_stranger

Some people say that he has mistakes in some concepts ...i think no auother has no mistaks 100% , we muslems should read with open minds and reasons , we can reject the mistakes but get benefit from all that is good. Through our history no book has been approved by all muslems ....no one is without mistakes.

Achmat_Samsodien

Read this book review by Imaam Anwar Al-Awlaki, If you are referring to this book "In the Shade of the Quran"
My father gave me a book he wrote, still haven't read it finish.

Book Review 3: In the Shade of the Quran by Sayyid Qutb
Posted (Anwar alAwlaki) in Book Reviews on June-22-2008

This work by the Shaheed -by the will of Allah- along with “Milestones” represent his greatest works and the fruits of his life. I received 5 of the 6 volumes along with Madarij al Salikeen as the first books I was allowed to have. This came after a period of two months with nothing but the Quran. Having had the chance to spend that time with the book of Allah and to contemplate on it, I wanted to read what our scholars had to say about Quran so I ordered Tafsir Ibn Kathir which is a proper classical tafsir along with “In the Shade of the Quran” which is more about thoughts and insights on the book of Allah in addition to it being a contemporary tafsir.
Sayyid is a very prolific and eloquent writer. His style is unique. If someone has read for him then he could recognize his writings without having to be told who the author is. With Ibn kathir his tafsir is full of Hadiths and statements of scholars and rulings so it must be read slowly. I would limit myself to a maximum of 30 pages a day. But because of the flowing style of Sayyid I would read between 100-150 pages a day. In fact I would read until my eyes got tired. My left eye would get exhausted before the right eye so I would close it with my hand and carry on reading with my right eye until it can handle it no more and would just shut down. My vision started deteriorating especially in my left eye. Was it because of too much reading, or was it because of poor lighting, Allah knows best. I found that deteriorating eyesight along with kidney problems where the two most common complaints of the prisoners.
I would be so immersed with the author I would feel that Sayyid was with me in my cell speaking to me directly. There was something about my reading in prison: I could feel the personality of the author through his words. So even though I was in solitary confinement I was never alone. I was with ibn Kathir for some days, with ibn al Qayyim, Sayyid Qutb, al Shawkani, al-Nawawi and many others on other days. How could I feel the loneliness when all of these great men where my companions?
I believe it was Ibn al Mubarak who when asked why he used to spend his time alone said: And how can I be alone when I am in the companionship of the Sahaba?
My favourite parts of the Shades were Sura Yusuf, and al Qasas. Sayyid has a beautiful way of presenting the stories of Yusuf and Musa in these suras. Then there are the introductions to surah al Ankaboot and al Ra’d. In his introduction of al Ankaboot he has some wonderful words about trails and in the intro to Sura al Ra’d he talks about the miracle of Quran.
Something that the reader of Sayyid couldn’t fail to feel is the immense love Sayyid had for the words of Allah.
I lived with “In the Shade of the Quran” for over a month. It carried me through and offered me solace during that period. May Allah reward him abundantly on the Day of Judgment. Then I moved on to Sharh ibn Aqeel which is a book on Arabic grammer and the Tafsir of Ibn Kathir but my next comments will be on the “al Bidaya wa al Nihaya” by Ibn Kathir.

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
a person why spies his fellow brother and tells to home office about it.

As-salaamu'alaykum Daywalker.

I say: Take your own advice from your signature 'Speak good or remain silent'.
Because the claim you have just made is not backed up by any evidence, no proofs, nothing.

And this claim was made by some brothers before, the result: It amounted to slander and Allaah knows best whether they made tawbah.

As for Sayyed Qutb:

His rebuke and censure of the Prophet of Allaah, Moosaa (alaihis-salaam) and making him the object of ridicule

Sayyid Qutb said, in at-Tasweer al-Fannee fil-Qur'aan: "Let us take Moosaa - he is the example of the fiery, excitable leader [quotes Qasas 28:15] and here his zealous , excitable spirit appeared, just as his emotions in favour of his nation were shown; but this emotional impulse quickly passed away - and he regained his composure - and this is what happens with the excitable folk. [Quotes Qasas 28:15-17, 18] - and this change shows a well-known manifestation, that of one who is afraid, distressed and expecting evil in every moment - and this is also the sign of the excitable (folk). Then along with this and along with the fact that he promissed that he would not aid the wrongdoers - then let us see what he did [quotes Qasas 28:18]. He desired to attack the other man just as he did the day before, and his zeal and emotion led him to forget his having sought forgiveness, his regret, his fear and his anxious watchfulness... So let us leave him here, to meet him again, at a second period in his life, ten years later. So perhaps he had calmed down and became a man who was of calm nature and gentle-natured. No indeed! So here he was, being called from the right hand side of the mountain: that he should throw down his staff, so he threw it down and it became a snake - moving quickly, he hardly saw it before he jumped and ran, not looking back and not turning aside... he was the same highly strung youth... ..."

His rebuke and censure of the Companions of Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) , especially Uthmaan (radiallaahu anhu). [The way of the Rawaafid] On this issue he was corrected and refuted by Mahmood Shaakir in his lifetime but he maintained his position and did not recant. His refusal is in the magazine ar-Risaalah vol 977 in the year 1952. This was after Mahmood Shaakir wrote four treatise against him the titles of three of them being: hukmun bilaa bayyinah, laa tasubboo ashaabee, al-alsinatu al-muftireen. They were published in the magazine al-Muslimoon starting in Muharram of the year 1372 hijri.In spite of this he still allowed the book 'Al-Adaalat ul-Ijtimaa'iyyah' to be published before his death.

He said in the aforementioned book for example:

"Indeed, it was a truly a trial that Alee was not the third of the Rightly Guided Caliphs" (p.191 5th edn & p.162 12th edn.)

"And we tend to the opinion that the khilaafah of Alee was the natural extension of the khilaafah of the two shaikhs [i.e. Abu Bakr and Umar] and that the era of Uthmaan was merely a gap in between" (p.206 5th edn.)

"And it is unfortunate that the khilaafah came to Uthmaan when he was an old man; his determination had weakened and did not reach the goals intended by Islaam; and his resolve was too weak to steadfastly face the plots of Marwaan and plots of Umayyah beyond that." (p.186 5th edn.)

"The Companions saw this deviation from the spirit of Islaam, and would call one another to al-Madeenah to save Islaam and to save Islaam from the trial; and the khalifah - in his old age, and his state brought about by advanced age - did not possess control of his affair to the expense of Marwaan. It is difficult to accuse the spirit of Islaam in the person of Islaam, but it is likewise difficult to pardon him for the error of the unfortunate occurrence of his taking the khilaafah whilst he was a weakened old man, who was surrounded by evil courtiers from Banu Umayyah..." (p.189 5th edn and its meaning is on p.161 of the 12th edn.)

His declaration of all societies to be disbelievers without exception. [The way of the Khawaarij]
And this is confirmed by Yoosuf al-Qardaawi in his book - The Priorities of the Islamic Movement (p.110) where he explains that the books of Sayyid Qutb appeared in which Qutb performs takfeer of all societies and in which he announces a destructive jihaad against the whole of mankind.

His saying that the Qur'aan is created. [The saying of the Jahmiyyah].

His saying that existence is one (wahdatul wujood - Creation and Creator together, astaghfirullaah). [The way of the Soofiyyah]

In his explanations of Surah Ikhlaas and also the beginning of Surah Hashr. He said, for example, in his Zilaal (6/4002): "Verily it is a single existence, and there is no other reality save that of His, and there is no true and real existence save His - and every other existing thing then its existence is an extension of His existence ... and when this perception becomes firmly established, the one which sees nothing in existence except the reality of Allaah..."

And in some of his other books, Sayyid Qutb affirms this and also praises the Soofees and their actions

He said in his Zilaal (6/3291): "And there are a people who worship Allaah, because they thank him for His favours which they cannot count - and behind this worship, they do not look for Paradise or Hellfire, nor to pleasure or punishment at all..."

His saying of the divine indwelling (hulool - that Allaah dwells in His creation, astaghfirullaah) and also Jabr (mankind having no free will - being compelled to act). [The way of the Jabariyyah].

His denial of some of the Attributes of Allaah in the way and style of the Jahmiyyah. [The way of the Mu'attilah]

For example his denial of Istiwaa by explaining it away - that it is merely an allegorical expression as he said in his Zilaal (3/1762) and also in many other places such as: (1/53), (/1/54), (3/1296), (4/2045), (5/2807)

And likewise his denial of the Meezaan (Scales) in the way and style of the Jahmiyyah (4/2481).

His attacks on the Miracles of the Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) .

His refusal of the acceptance of ahaad hadeeth in matters of Aqeedah. [The way of the Mu'tazilah]

He said in his Zilaal (6/4008): "And the Aahaad hadeeth are not to be taken in the matters of aqeedah, the source is the Qur'aan - and something being mutawaatir is a condition [that has to be fulfilled] in accepting hadeeth in the issues of belief..." And in this he is more astray than the Ash'arees

His denial of the magic that was practiced upon the Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) .

His denial that Eesaa (as) was raised to the heaven

His claim that the point of dispute between the Messenger and the Pagans was with respect to Tawheed ur-Ruboobiyyah only and that Tawheed ul-Uloohiyyah is but Tawheed ur-Ruboobiyyah.

He said in his Zilaal (4/1846): "Then the issue of Uloohiyyah was not the point of difference, indeed, it was the issue of Ruboobiyyah which the messages (of the Messengers) addressed. And this was what the final message was addressing also."

His claim that the Sifaat (Attributes of Allaah) are but mere imaginations (takhyeel).

And for those who call for Haakimiyyah and raise its banner high, then it is well known to the lowest student of knowledge that the Haakimiyyah of Allaah Azzawajall applies even more so to His Essence, His Names and Attributes [as well as His Sharee'ah etc.] So the one who does not judge - in the matters related to knowledge about Allaah - by what Allaah has revealed - then it is more befitting for him to be labelled a rejector of the Haakimiyyah of Allaah Azzawajall. What is required is justice and fair speech and speaking the truth, even if it be against one's own soul - and applying the fundamental principles of Islamic Belief justly and fairly to every individual that they apply to - and this is a sign of a Muslims honesty, integrity and love for the Revelation of Allaah.

His refusal to pray Salaatul-Jumu'ah with the justification that there is no khilaafah at the present time.

Alee Ashmaawee says in his book: "The Secret History of Ikhwaan ul-Muslimeen" (at-Taareekh as-Sirree li-Jamaa'atil-Ikhwaan il-Muslimeen): "And the time for the Jumu'ah prayer arrived so I said to him: 'Let us leave and pray' and it was a surprise that I came to know - and for the first time - that he did not used to pray Jumu'ah" (p.112)

His speaking with "Hurriyatul-I'tiqaad" [The Freedom of Belief] - meaning that people can be left upon the religion that they are upon. [So Christians should be left as Christians - Jews as Jews etc...] - Shaikh Ibn Uthaimeen was asked 'What do you say about the one who speaks with Hurriyatul-I'tiqaad?' The Shaikh replied: 'The one who allows Hurriyatul I'tiqaad - that a person can believe in whatever religion he wishes is a Kaafir...'. NOTE: TAKFEER IS NOT BEING MADE HERE - Since even though someone utters something which necessitates disbelief, the conditions have to be fulfilled and the preventive barriers [mawaani'] have to be removed before the verdict of disbelief can be issued and that is for the Ulamaa' alone - BUT THIS IS TO SHOW THE NATURE OF QUTB'S IGNORANCE OF FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES OF THE RELIGION. Shaikh al-Albaanee commented about Qutb that he is merely a writer (adeeb), lacking in Islamic knowledge.

"For Islam does not desire the freedom of worship for its followers only, rather it affirms this right for all the different religions and it tasks the Muslims to fight and defend this right for all people and it [even] allows them to fight under this flag, the flag which guarantees the freedom of worship for the adherents of all other religions...so that it is realised that it is a free world order... (Nahwa Mujtami' Islaamee p.105)

"And Islaam does not feel uneasy about the differences of mankind in aqeedah and manhaj, rather it considers this as something necessitated by natural disposition and a goal from ahgher will in life amongst the people...(Nahwa Mujtami' Islamee p.103)"

His speaking about the Qur'an with mere personal opinion. There are 181 mistakes in matters of aqeedah and issues of knowledge in his Fi zilaal il-Quraan as pointed out by Shaik Abdullaah bin Muhammad as-Dawaish in his book, Al-Mawrid uz-Zilaal fit-Tanbeeh alaa Akhtaa'a az-Zilaal and as the saying goes: Al-Lamsu wal-Basar khairun min as-Sam'i wal-khabr.

For a full and excellent refutation of Sayyid Qutb refer to the following books by the Shaikh Rabee' bin Haadee al-Madkhalee, which have been recommended by Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin, Shaikh Bin Baz and others.

1. Adwaa al-Islaamiyyah alaa Aqeedati Sayyid Qutb
2. Mataa'in Sayyid Qutb fis-Sahaabah
3. Al-Awaasim mimmaa fee kutub Sayyid Qutb minal-Qawaasim
4. Al-Hadd ul-Faasil bainal-Haqq wal-Baatil

After reading these it should become clear to the one who is free from ta'assub and hizbiyyah that Sayyid Qutub is most certainly not a mujaddid, in the league of the likes of Ibn Taymiyyah as is ignorantly propagated by many.

Musulmanin

I personally have not read his works. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sayed Qutb was a scholar of Islam. Wasn't he a philosopher? We should be careful of whom we take as scholars.

Salem9022

I personally have not read his works. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sayed Qutb was a scholar of Islam. Wasn't he a philosopher? We should be careful of whom we take as scholars.

Your absolutely correct :ma: He was a Political Acitivist a Member of the Soufi Organization called Ikwanul Muslimeen. He was Inspired most say by Lenninism and Communism more then anything :) This is what some readers of his books have to say:

Phil Paine, a writer and independent scholar as he describes himself observes, after reading Milestones for the first time:

"... The first thing one notices about Qutb's ideological thought is how little it has to do with traditions of Islam, or the needs of people in Islamic countries. It is profoundly European in inspiration, and it's chief models are Hitler, Marx and Lenin ... Lenin is by far the strongest influence.
" Whole passages look like they were simply copied out from his works and then a pseudo-Islamic terminology inserted, "revolutionary vanguard" becoming "Islamic vanguard", and so on... As Marxist mumbo-jumbo justified the telling of any lie, the betrayal of any value, the commitment of any atrocity, in the name of an implacable destiny, so too, does Milestones... "

"... Qutb was by no means alone. In the 1920's and 1930's, the Muslim Brotherhood and other precursers of today's jihadist movement were profoundly influenced by Marxism and Nazism. Before WWII, Hitler was the greater influence, but with his defeat, Communism became the principal inspiration. In fact, Qutb himself was a delegate to the Communist International, its principle liaison with the Muslim Brotherhood. [R. R. Reilly, "The Roots of Islamist Ideology"] "

.".. Qutb draws on the Asharite tradition, as well as on his Marxist and Nazi sources. But today's totalitarian Islamism is not an attempt to restore the glories of early Islam. Far from it --- it draws its inspiration from the deviations from classical Islam that destroyed those glories..."

Contemporary members of the Muslim Brotherhood acknowledge that Qutb was influenced by Leninist revolutionary methodology. Ibrahim al-Houdaiby writes in an article "Four Decades After Sayyid Qutb's Execution" (bold emphasis is ours):

In "Milestones" Qutb presents a manifesto for change, one heavily influenced by Lenin's "What is to be done," with the clear Islamization of its basic notions. He argued that society was suffering from "jahiliyya" (a state of ignorance which preceded the revelation of Islam) and that consequently, there is no room for middle ground between Islamists and their societies.

So insha'Allah I hope that helps in Understanding you Sayed Qutb as well as Going through brother Yusuf1990 post as well :)

user expired!

:salam2:,

I have read the works of Syed Qutub and i have found much benefit in them, but to those brothers and sisters in Islam who are newly 'practicing' i wouldn't advise reading them very early on. Stick to the fundamentals (such as Tawheed and Quran) and plenty of eaman boosters for now. This is because the language of his books especially the english version was quite difficult to understand and i have also heard that his arabic was also very tough to grasp as he wrote in a very fluent style.

a_stranger

I think that books of Sayid Qutub are unique in many aspects and his way of thinking is genious in many respects , He presented how Islam can solve modern problems in a clever way (one can feel his sincere faith and devotion clearly in his words) .......Our problem is that shaytan is playing his role to divide muslems and make big gap between them , we should purify our hearts towards others , if we find mistakes then we deal with in islamic manner hoping all the good for our brothrs and sisters , We can correct each other but never underestimate our nobles who gave their life to Islam. (sorry for spelling mistakes)

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:wasalam: ähmm jazakallahu khair it was one of brixton madhkhalis, jazakallah again for correction.

Whey?!!! madhkhali?! i swear every time i turn around a new name is born! behold!

I hesitate to ask... but what is this madhkhali then?

Baarakallahu feek My brother yusuf1990 for your clarification of the matter. i have personally never read Sayyid Qutb's books nor was i aware of his history and have seen them in my local bookshop recently so i wanted to buy them, but i decided not to now.

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Whey?!!! madhkhali?! i swear every time i turn around a new name is born! behold!

I hesitate to ask... but what is this madhkhali then?

Baarakallahu feek My brother yusuf1990 for your clarification of the matter. i have personally never read Sayyid Qutb's books nor was i aware of his history and have seen them in my local bookshop recently so i wanted to buy them, but i decided not to now.

:wasalam:

assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh sister,

Ignorant people use this as a label against fellow Muslims.

There is a Muhadith Scholar in Makkah, who used to be one of the senior lecturers in Madinah University, Shaykh Rabee' ibn Hadi al Madkhali, (hafizahullah)

He worked hard to make sure that people understand Islaam properly, and not just take their deen without knowing from whom they take it. So, he made sure people understood the mistakes within the works of various people, including Syed Qutb. These points have been made before, by many scholars, including the senior most scholars of Islaam.

Unfortunately, this hits in the guts some of the various innovators and people of desires. So, they despise him, other scholars and those who try to clarify Islaam from various distortions.

A lot of the time, these people have not even learnt Islaam,they are not students of knowledge at all, they have not sat or studied with any scholars, rather they just traul the internet learning things and learning from their fellow ignorants. So, they popularise things such as "Madkhali", "Wahabi", etc.. Or they critisise the Ulema', critisise the Salafi Manhaj etc, - just ignore them, they will be in same situation in 5 years, 10 years.

We need to concentrate on learning our Islaam, from the Qur'aan and the pure sunnah and getting the understanding from the Salaf Saalih and the ulema' who uphold the sunnah today. All these other people, just distract us, as they are the workers for the Shaitaan.

May Allaah forgive those who say things against the ulema' and those who have misunderstandings on various issues.

It is also important to note, that we do not blind follow any scholar, nor go into exaggeration of their "powers". i.e. that someone is "on" or "off" the manhaj does not belong to some person. Therefore, some people should be careful of this fact, and not just be sheep that just accept whatever they hear. - I am not talking about Syed Qutb issue, he had many mistakes and his manhaj was not good, that is clear.

Rather, in general when it comes to Jarh wa ta'deel. It is also not something that the youth should be involved in, please leave this to the Ulema'. Look to what the firm mountains of this Ummah, the Kibaar Ulema' said about these matters. - Really, they were very humble and wise and did not just say things in an unjust manner. It just is a problem that people would rather stick to their own opinions and desires, rather than give the due respect to the ulema'. - Pick and choose on their fatwa.

May Allaah forgive us all and give us jannatul firdaus.

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh.

Status
Not open for further replies.