The America no one sees

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Thank you. You posted the truth. I was a social worker in southwestern Virginia. I know.I drove around Beverly Hills last week. It was empty and vapid.

trying2learn

I wanted to post this because there are so many people all over the world that think American's have it all, that all of us live like kings. It's just not how it is. I know what it is like to be homeless, I was homeless for 4 months when I was 9 months pregnant and I had to bring my daughter home from the hospital to a motel room, at least we could afford a room, not everyone is so lucky.

JenGiove

Salaam,

I too was homeless. I have slept in horse stables in the middle of winter, broken into vacant homes to cuddle with other homeless teens, I have lives in shelters where I had to ask if I could come and go. I've spent most of my life in food bank lines or soup kitchens. Recently, my husband's unemplyment was running out, the house where our apartment was had been foreclosed on so we were being forced to move....with no money. His UE "made" too much money for us to qualify for government assistance yet we only lived week to week and that was WITH going to the food banks and clothing donation rooms. As a child, I remember sleeping in front of the stove in winter clothes with my brother and mother, because my mother couldn't afford the heat.

Maybe that's why I feel Ramadan was easy for me...I'd already known hunger.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

To my respected and strong sisters..I have been on public assistance. I am very educated with degrees from schools that make most envious yet, I have been humbled. I have been blessed with a roof over my head.
I can make a penny stretch so much latex would be jealous. I have had to heat my house with the old fashioned kerosene heaters..talk about being good for you. I would take q-tips and clean the nostrils of my babies...the next morning.

I drove by the missions of LA and my heart broke. I see people sleeping on the streets. I was an ardent supporter of Mitch Synder. I know he did not kill himself.

There is no reality of Hollywood. Most Americans are one paycheck away from being homeless. Yet, what is no talked about is the way the neighbors help each other out. It is an unspoken system. I will give you what I have today and when I need ...

The richest country in the world and we have children living in poverty. Right beneath our noses. Allah subhana talla has told us to provide and give as if our left hand did not know what the right hand is doing.

As Muslims in America it is our duty to hold fast to the rope of Allah and help His Creation.

I know those who suffer will enter heaven. And we Muslims have a responsibility to all of His Creation..such tht we can enter His paradise.

JenGiove

I can make a penny stretch so much latex would be jealous.

ROTFL! Ain't Dat Da Troof Sista!

I have had to heat my house with the old fashioned kerosene heaters..talk about being good for you.

...and incredibly safe as well! lol! Tripple plastic on the windows cause the landlord lied about having thermal glass and blankets on the walls as decorations because there is no insulation...I don't know how much money I spent every year on clear caulk for the holes in the wood floor where the breeze would make tornadoes out of the dust bunnies in the house and foam rubber for the doors and electrical plugs. Hundreds of dollars a month in heating costs.

Yet, what is no talked about is the way the neighbors help each other out. It is an unspoken system. I will give you what I have today and when I need ...

In some ways, its the law. Yes, it is an unspoken system. Disguised as "do you got a cup of milk?" really means "I'm out of food and all I have to eat is mac+cheese for the next 3 days but I'm too embarrassed to tell you."

As Muslims in America it is our duty to hold fast to the rope of Allah and help His Creation.
There are some who would say that it is the duty of any loving human being...to help others in need.