The Bible needs to be read with discernment

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I often make reference to the Bible; however, here are some of the problems with the Bible:

In these two verses the name of Joseph's father is different. I have heard explanations for all of the following contradictions and inconsistencies; however, not always to my satisfaction.

Mat 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
Luk 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

Who went to the empty tomb?
Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
Mar 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

How many stalls and horseman did Solomon have?
1Ki 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.
2Ch 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

Is Wisdom good or harmful?
Pro 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent

Should the children be put to death for the sins of the father?
Isa 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
Deu 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

How did Judas die?
Act 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
Mat 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Mat 27:6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
Mat 27:7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.

Where is the prophesy of this found?

Mat 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

The verse is not in Jeremiah but in Zechariah
Zec 11:11 And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD.
Zec 11:12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.
Zec 11:13 And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.

Should we judge?

1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1Co 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

How many were possessed by the legion of demons?[/red]

Mar 5:1 And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.
Mar 5:2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,
Mar 5:3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:
Mar 5:4 Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.
Mar 5:5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.
Mar 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
Mar 5:7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
Mar 5:8 For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
Mar 5:9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.
Mar 5:10 And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.
Mar 5:11 Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.
Mar 5:12 And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.
Mar 5:13 And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.
Mat 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.
Mat 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
Mat 8:30 And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.
Mat 8:31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.

One account says one and another says two. There are many many more; however, this suffices to demonstrate that we can extract much Truth from both The Old and New Testament, we must be careful to verify it with AL Quran which has not been distorted by translations of translations, intentional additions and omission, and distortions of the meaning of these text. I love reading the Bible and have committed much of it to memory; however, whenever, I mentioned these contradictions and inconsistencies to my elders, I was either a convoluted answer or accused of doing the devil's work. Truth will stand scrutiny.

BigAk

Brother Frank,

Al Salam alaikum;

Have you ever read the following book??

Jesus Interrupted by Bart Ehrman

Attachments

• Jesus_Interrupted.jpg
    Jesus_Interrupted.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Great minds think alike. Brother Big Ak , I haven't yet , but I will.

Ayman 1, as I said many explanations can be found, perhaps a scribe or monk mistook a Hebrew 14 for a 4. In the case of how many went to the tomb, it could have been the larger number, but the author of the lesser number didn't see any relevance to listing them all. In the case of how many "demons" possessed individuals, I think it was probably one and that the translator read the plural we and therefor made the number of men more than one for grammatical reasons not realizing that perhaps one man had many "demons."
There are literally hundreds of such inconsistencies and contradictions. However, I just wanted to point out that although I often quote from Bible passages that support good and wise behavior, I am aware that the Bible of today is not the Bible Books originally delivered. I purposely left out the sun being created after the day and night since all things are possible with Allah.
One of the most often inconsistencies has to do with numbers and I believe that is the result of misinterpretation of Hebrew and Greek into English. I had six different Torahs and Tanakh, but I sold them with other books and can't look them up in the Hebrew Scriptures to see if those inconsistency exist within the Hebrew versions.

ALso, the wisdom is easily explained by the fact that wisdom sometimes refers to reasoning, philosophy, conceptualization as well as what Allah considers wisdom.

I once bought a New Revised King James version. It is basically a King James version with words like thee thou thine replaced with you and your . I preached that Sunday and the Pastor of the Church asked what version of the Bible I was using. I told him Revised King James. The Pastor said, "Oh No, Brother, only The King James Version is the word of God." I started with the King James and although it is a beautiful form of English, I didn't have the heart to tell him it was considered one of the poorest translation. I also liked the Reina Valera version.

Thanks for your responses. I didn't know if there was much interest; however, since I have received a few pms regarding the Bible, I thought there might be interest in whether I considered it Scripture as is Al Qur'aan. I consider AL Qur'aan to be Kalaam of arr-Rahmaan. I consider the Bible to be less accurate than translations of Al Qur'aan. Still there is much of value there as long as it is interpreted from a Muslim Perspective.

DanyalSAC

Brother Frank,

Al Salam alaikum;

Have you ever read the following book??

Jesus Interrupted by Bart Ehrman

I have his audo book "Misquoting Jesus" on my iPod, and also his lecture at Stanford University that he gave not long after the book's release.

He is fascinating.

B.H.

I read and confirmed from western religious scholars that the Book of Jeremiah alone varies greatly in its content depending on which manuscript you use. Sometimes the differences are as great as whole chapters, up to 1/8th of possible content. I have looked in vain for a book that explains exactly what the ommissions/additions are but can't find one. The scholars themselves did not care too much to go any deeper with me about it either.

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that it is an "inside secret" that the Christian scholars do not want their followers to be aware of, or if acknowledged let them think it is just small differences like a pronoun here or a adjective there that "does not change the overall meaning of the text" as they like to say.

B.H.

Like Br. Smith I agree there is some good practical advice in the Bible, in particular Proverbs, Ben Sirach, but the Bible has been corrupted by men and you have to remember that and take what it says with a grain of salt.

B.H.

Mat 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
Luk 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

I have heard two supposed resolutions of this problem.

If I remember right they go along these lines:

One is that Jacob and Heli were the same person, with one being a formal given name while the other was a name he just went by.

Another was that one was actually Mary's father, but he loved Joseph so much he regarded him as his own son, or that it was custom to regard your son-in-law as a son.

My comment:

It is true that sometimes people may have a formal name and go by another.

It is possible there may have been a custom develop where a father-in-law would regard his son-in-law as a son.

However, all of this is assumed in the supposed answer to the contradiction. There is absolutely no proof offered that such was the case.

Al Salamu Alaykom brothers and sisters,

I have the book mentioned above, Jesus Interrupted, as a pdf file. Whoever is interested can email me and I will reply back, just send me a msg on here if you are interested :)

Salam