The Concept of Hell in Islam

ChebbaTan

Assalam Waleikum,

From the list of subjects that I need to understand, there is this important one: the belief in the existence of a hell. This is something quite difficult to accept due to my education as JW once we're thought that:
  • it doesn't exist such thing as an hell fire for eternal punishment of the evil ones;
  • God is not able to punish humans in an eternal way with fire because he hated the pagans who sacrificed their sons and daughters to idols through fire;
  • it wouldn't be possible for Satan to live on that Hell, because him and his demons will be destroyed by God one day;
  • the biblical words for hell (sheol, in Hebrew; hades, in Greek; infernus, in Latin) refer to a symbolic condition of non-existence, thus hell meaning the grave for Mankind from which the good will be resurrected and on which the evil will remain;
  • hell doesn't make sense because death is considered a sufficient punishment for the sins;
  • hell is a pagan concept (present on Hinduism and Buddhism) developed by Christendom theologists to provoke fear on people and to control them, especially on Middle Age.
By all this above which remains so bold in my mind, I find it very difficult to think about the concept of hell as real, and if I want to have a strong faith I need to overcome my doubts on this subject, therefore, I want to know what the main differences are between the hell presented in Christendom and the hell presented in Islam, and I would appreciate if you could take into account the beliefs in which I was raised in as well as if you could show me surahs of the Quran that support your answers.

This is a very sensitive subject to me, but I'm willing to accept the knowledge that Allah swt gave us through His perfect and final scripture - the Quran - in order to become sure on my belief based on evidence. Altough I have the responsability to make my own research, I'll be waiting for the answers of wise Muslims here, too,

May Allah swt reward your help, :tti_sister:

Salaams,

ibnashraf

If there is no hell, then how can God be considered to be most just and fair? Being unjust is not a quality befitting God.

Hitler, for example, killed millions of people. Is merely dying once fair to all those who suffered because of his actions?

Should those who strive their entire lives to do good face the same recompensation as those who continually spread corruption and evil?

Just a few questions for thought..

mhamzah

:salam2:

It doesn't exist such thing as an hell fire for eternal punishment of the evil ones;

it wouldn't be possible for Satan to live on that Hell, because him and his demons will be destroyed by God one day.

"Say: 'O People of the Book! You have no ground to stand upon unless you stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord." (Qur'an 5:68).

Let them produce their proof," is the repeated admonition of the Qur'an.

God is not able to punish humans in an eternal way with fire because he hated the pagans who sacrificed their sons and daughters to idols through fire.

'God is not able to'
-- This needs to be explained first;

There are certain things that Allah swt cannot do because they mean nothing. To give you an example Allah swt cannot have a son. This is because sonship and divine nature would be necessary attributes of such an actuality, but these are incompatible. The first describes a recipient of life while the second describes One who received life from no one. These are mutually exclusive requirements then. To be a son is to be less than divine, and to be divine is to be no one's son.

Thus the Quran does not use the words 'Allah can do everything' rather the words used are 'Allah has power over all things' (2:106, 2:109, 3:26, 3:165, 3:189 etc) or Allah is doer of what He will (2:253 etc).

However to say Allah cannot punish or He cannot forgive (as many Christians claims) is an unislamic thing to say. Allah is Just so he rewards people who do good and punishes those who do evil. However in Islam punishments fits the crime, that is why Paradise has different levels and so does the Hell (Hyprocites being in the lowest level of the Hell).

As to the question itself;

It is Haram in Islam to takes anyone life unjustly whether offering it as a sacrife to idols through fire or burying the daughters alive as the pagans Arabs used to do.

On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land. (5:32)

So what God disliked was their taking the lives of incocent. Of course the pagans who offered it as a sacrifice to idols where condemned for idol worshipping as well beside killing their daughters and sons.

hell doesn't make sense because death is considered a sufficient punishment for the sins;

Am i missing something here or maybe you can explain this better (because this isn't making sense). Even those who go to paradise will die.

the biblical words for hell (sheol, in Hebrew; hades, in Greek; infernus, in Latin) refer to a symbolic condition of non-existence, thus hell meaning the grave for Mankind from which the good will be resurrected and on which the evil will remain;

hell is a pagan concept (present on Hinduism and Buddhism) developed by Christendom theologists to provoke fear on people and to control them, especially on Middle Age.

Sister ShyHijabi can explain this better.

But isnt it the other way round. Sheol is compared to Hades, the gloomy, twilight afterlife of Greek mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Hindu and Buddist believes don't believe in Hell and Paradise, they believe in reincarnation. However the books of Hinduism (Vedas), speak about afterlife. But it does not go into detail.

So if there is any concept that is developed from pagan ideas than it must be the concept of sheol, developed from Greek mythology.

:wasalam:

a_stranger

:salam2:
Everything Allah swt created with a wisdom , Fear of hell in hearts of the believer can wipe all the black spots in hearts like, shirk( oppossit of sincerity), hate, arrogance, selfishness, greed, lusts, envy...........etc. and leave hearts pure and humble , this fear combined with the love of Allah our creator and hope in his Paradise can make a stable balanced muslem personality which love good and reject evil for the sake of Allah swt. and Allah knows best .

ChebbaTan

hi.

do you need more explainations ? or it's enough for you ?
so please let us know if it was good or should we clear more things for you and other readers troughth your questions .
welcom againe.

I appreciate all the explanations so far and I reckon it makes sense that humans will get the result of our actions in the hereafter: we'll be rewarded or punished in the right level matching our deeds in this life.
I just wanted to clarify that JW's also teach the concept of Geheena, however, they consider that the "burning Geheena" is a figurative expression that symbolises the eternal destruction, or the total annihilation of the evil ones after the Judgement Day of part of those who waited in Sheol or Hades (which is considered the temporary condition of the dead who will be resurrected).
Thus, according to them Geheena and Sheol/Hades are two different ideas, however their ideas are very very confusing and complex, and I will try to post a new thread regarding the subject of the Judgement Day.
Concerning the concept of Hell, it will take time until I think of it as a real thing, however that will happen because my mind says it is logic and it matches the idea of justice - which is something Allah swt gave to humans, and I ask to Him to open not only my mind but my heart as well to fully accept His revealed perfect truth,

I need you all to include me in your duas, please ask to Allah to purify my soul from confused and messed teachings of men,

Barak Allah Oufik,:tti_sister:

D.Ahmed

Believer
I appreciate all the explanations so far and I reckon it makes sense that humans will get the result of our actions in the hereafter: we'll be rewarded or punished in the right level matching our deeds in this life.
I just wanted to clarify that JW's also teach the concept of Geheena, however, they consider that the "burning Geheena" is a figurative expression that symbolises the eternal destruction, or the total annihilation of the evil ones after the Judgement Day of part of those who waited in Sheol or Hades (which is considered the temporary condition of the dead who will be resurrected).
Thus, according to them Geheena and Sheol/Hades are two different ideas, however their ideas are very very confusing and complex, and I will try to post a new thread regarding the subject of the Judgement Day.
Concerning the concept of Hell, it will take time until I think of it as a real thing, however that will happen because my mind says it is logic and it matches the idea of justice - which is something Allah swt gave to humans, and I ask to Him to open not only my mind but my heart as well to fully accept His revealed perfect truth,

I need you all to include me in your duas, please ask to Allah to purify my soul from confused and messed teachings of men,

Barak Allah Oufik,:tti_sister:

May Allah swt purify all our souls from confusion and deception and guide us with true knowledge and understanding Ameen.