THE FLY

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I recently read something about the FLY. Can someone explain what the purposes and pros and cons of the fly?

Salam

Salaamalikum sister,

The fly flaps it wings approximately 500 times per second while flying. In fact, no man-made machine could operate at such a rate, but would shatter and burn because of friction. However, neither the wings, muscles, nor the joints of the fly are harmed. Taking into account the direction and speed of the wind, it can fly in any direction without being diverted. Even with our current technology, man is very distant from producing a device with these extraordinary features and techniques of flight. Yet such an insignificant living being, which man brushes aside and pays no attention to, achieves something remarkable that man so far has been unable to achieve. Allah has given the fly all its outstanding characteristics and abilities.

I hope that helped.

walaakum salaam

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Yes, this is interesting. Can anyone explain?

Shaykh Gibril Haddad

Only in modern times was it discovered that the common fly carried parasitic pathogens for many diseases including malaria, typhoid fever, cholera, and others. It was also discovered that the fly carried parasitic bacteriophagic fungi capable of fighting the germs of all these diseases.

The Prophet Muhammad - upon him and his House blessings and peace - alluded to both facts 1,400 years ago when he said, Abu Sa`id al-Khudri by al-Bukhari and in the Sunan:

<< If a fly falls into one of your containers [of food or drink], immerse it completely (falyaghmis-hu kullahu) before removing it, for under one of its wings there is venom and under another there is its antidote. >>

A version from Abu Hurayra in Abu Dawud, Ahmad, and al-Tahawi's Sharh Mushkil al-Athâr (8:341 #3293) adds:

<< And it [al-Tahawi: "always"] protects itself (yattaqi) with the wing that carries the poison, so immerse it completely.>>Ahmad and al-Tahawi add: << Then remove it. >>

A sound-chained version in Ahmad, al-Tahawi, al-Nasa'i, and Ibn Majah (the latter two mention only the second half) states:

<< Sa`id ibn Khalid sai in to see Abu Salama. He brought us some butter and date pastry. A fly fell into the dish. Abu Salama began to submerge it (yamquluhu) with his finger. I said, "Uncle! What are you doing?" He said: "Truly, Abu Sa`id al-Khudri told me that the Messenger of Allah said, 'In one of the fly's two wings there is poison and in another, its antidote. If it falls into food, submerge it in it; for it sends the poison first and keeps the cure last.'">>Al-Tahawi in Sharh Mushkil al-Athâr (8:339 #3289) has, << Uncle! Allah forgive you! What are you doing? >>

Al-Bazzar in his Musnad and al-Diya' al-Maqdisi in al-Ahadith al-Mukhtara (5:206) narrate from Thumama ibn `Abd Allah ibn Anas through trustworthy narrators according to Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari (10:250) and al-Qastallani in Irshad al-Sari (5:304):

<< Thumama said: We were with Anas and a fly fell into a vessel. Anas motioned with his hand and immersed it (faghamasahu) three times then said: "Bismillah" and he said that truly, thus did the Messenger of Allah order them to do. >>

Shah Wali Allah al-Dihlawi mentioned in Hujjat Allah al-Baligha that this hadith shows God-given knowledge of the many diseases a fly potentially carries as well as illustrates the Creator's wisdom in giving every venomous species some immunity or antidotal protection to its own poison insuring its survival. Shaykh Muhyi al-Din Ibn `Arabi in one of his Wasaya specified that the fly always keeps its "antidotal wing" off the substance in which it finds itself mired so as to try and use it to fly away. The Ulema said that this behavior is Divinely-inspired instinct similar to that of the bees, the ants, the hoopoe, and the earth in the Qur'an cf. al-Tahawi, Sharh Mushkil (8:343-344) and al-Khattabi, Ma`alim al-Sunan (4:459).

Ibn Hajar wrote in his commentary on this hadith:

"I found nothing among the variants to pinpoint the wing that carries the antidote but one of the Ulema said he observed that the fly protects itself with its left wing so it can be deduced that the right one is the one with the antidote.... Another said that the poison may be that of pride (takabbur) occurring in one's soul causing him to disdain eating that food or avoid and discard it altogether, while the antidote takes place by subduing the soul and forcing it to be humble."

Salam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam Alikom Sister ,

The hadith is mentioned Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink), for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease." (Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 4, Book 54, Number 537)

Please read the Pdf file.

Source. www.islamic-knowledge.com

Attachments

• TheHadeethontheFly[1].pdf
    229 KB · Views: 8

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Without reading another long page of 'theory' of this, can someone tell me what to do if a fly lands in one's glass or food item? Do I keep the dead fly and let it float around in the glass or food, and eat or drink the item?

I am really interested in this, since the fly has so much potential...

...especially when it is said to say 'dip' the wing in the food/drink vessel.

What does this all mean?

Salam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Sister,

We believe what the Prophet peace be upon Him revealed to us regardless of what modern-day science proved or didn`t prove.

Everything that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us about the unseen, past, present and future, is by revelation (wahy) from Allaah, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Nor does he speak of (his own) desire. It is only a Revelation revealed” (al-Najm 53:3-4)

“This is of the news of the Unseen which We reveal unto you (O Muhammad)” [Hood 11:49]

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I don’t tell you that with me are the treasures of Allaah, nor (that) I know the Unseen; nor I tell you that I am an angel. I but follow what is revealed to me.’” [al-An’aam 6:50]

Hence it is obligatory to believe everything that Allaah has told the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the unseen and other matters, for he is the one who tells the truth and is to be believed. Whoever disbelieves him, even if it is with regard to only one report that he knows to be sound (saheeh), becomes an apostate thereby, if he is Muslim.

There is nothing in the Qur’aan and Sunnah that contradicts definitive scientific facts, because it all comes from Allaah. He is the One Who revealed the Qur’aan, and inspired His Prophet with the Sunnah, and taught man knowledge, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah has sent down to you the book (the Qur’aan), and Al‑Hikmah (Islamic laws, knowledge of legal and illegal things, i.e. the Prophet’s Sunnah — legal ways), and taught you that which you knew not. And Ever Great is the Grace of Allaah unto you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم)”

[al-Nisa’ 4:113]

“And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allaah”

[al-Nahl 16:53]

Read also:

New studies reveal scientific miracles in the fly Hadith

The new buzz on antibiotics

As to your question:

Do I keep the dead fly and let it float around in the glass or food, and eat or drink the item?

Some of us might find the idea of dunking a fly in our beverage, removing it, and then taking a drink unsettling to say the least. This is especially the case if we have had the privilege of living our lives in a modern society, free of hunger and starvation, where a certain standard of cleanliness is maintained in the environment and it is relatively easy to protect our food and drink from flies and other pests.

However, a ruling such as the one mentioned in the hadîth becomes painfully relevant to those who live with hunger and in less sanitary environments where protecting food from flies is not so simple and throwing away food and drink is not so easy an option. Such an environment was that of Arabia 1400 years ago, and regrettably, there are still many places in the world where we find scarcity and what by today’s assessment are sub-standard living conditions.

People under such circumstances quite often do consume food and drink that has come in contact with flies. If they had to discard all such foods, it would impose a serious hardship upon them.

Also, this hadîth is not obligating Muslims to drink beverages in which flies have fallen. It is just advising them as to what to do in case they wish to do so. A Muslim does not have to eat or drink anything that he feels an aversion to consuming. Today, most of us would understandably be repelled by the notion of drinking a beverage from which a fly had taken a sip, let alone fallen into.

Islamic Law takes such natural aversion into account. We can see how Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), when he was served a spiny-tailed lizard to eat, refrained from partaking of it. Khâlid b. al-Walîd noticed this and asked if eating the meat of the spiny-tailed lizard was unlawful. The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied:

“No. It is just that it is not found in the land of my people, and I find myself disinclined to it.”

He did not eat it, simply because it did not agree with his disposition. It was not a question of whether or not its flesh was permitted by Islamic Law.

We can apply the same ruling to a drink in which a fly has landed.

And Allah knows best.

Islamtoday

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Thank you for your post of information. I think it was most amazing to learn the attributes of the fly....and how Allah has provided us the information through the qur'an.

I was really curious of what to do, should a fly land on my food or drink...

Salam